Question

OnePlus 6T and OnePlus Buds ISSUES!

• 4 September 2020
  • 11 replies

Badge

Tmobile, 

I currently purchased OnePlus buds to be used with my OnePlus 6T. After doing research I have come to find out that updates are available directly from OnePlus, but they are unable to install due to features being blocked/limited by Tmobile. 

When would the update by OnePlus be pushed through Tmobile, in order for my OnePlus buds to work effectively with my phone. This is not a OnePlus issue, but directly a Tmobile issue. 

Your help would be greatly appreciated and hope to use my OnePlus Buds as intended, with full functionality…. as currently the limitation of update only allows general use, but no customization to touch sensitivity or other features available. 

Thanks,

Adrian

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

The update for OnePlus Bugs is an app.  Search for OnePlus Buds in the PlayStore by OnePlus Ltd.

Badge

The update for OnePlus Bugs is an app.  Search for OnePlus Buds in the PlayStore by OnePlus Ltd.

There is no such thing as an OnePlus Buds app. The settings are only available with an updated Oxygen OS in which is currently blocked by Tmobile. Even if you try to get around that function by downloading “Oxygen Updater”, which allows the Oxygen OS Version 10.3.5, it still does not provide the ability to change the tap function on the buds as intended. This is a Tmobile issue. 

If you are aware of an app under playstore, please feel free to provide a link. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

There is no such thing as an OnePlus Buds app. The settings are only available with an updated Oxygen OS in which is currently blocked by Tmobile. Even if you try to get around that function by downloading “Oxygen Updater”, which allows the Oxygen OS Version 10.3.5, it still does not provide the ability to change the tap function on the buds as intended. This is a Tmobile issue. 

If you are aware of an app under playstore, please feel free to provide a link. 

Badge

If you see below you will notice that this option is not available for my OnePlus 6T as it is disabled through Tmobile. I was able to find the app you mentioned, but as highlighted below it is not compatible.  Do you have any other options? 

Note: I also own an OnePlus 7 Pro and I have the exact same issue on that phone. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Device compatibility has nothing to do with T-Mobile.  The app is a OnePlus app.  Have you checked the OnePlus official forum?  T-Mobile has very little input into the software and firmware for devices.  Outside of the T-Mobile bloat, some updated carrier aggregation, APN settings, etc.  Updates are compiled and pushed directly from OnePlus.  

Badge

Device compatibility has nothing to do with T-Mobile.  The app is a OnePlus app.  Have you checked the OnePlus official forum?  T-Mobile has very little input into the software and firmware for devices.  Outside of the T-Mobile bloat, some updated carrier aggregation, APN settings, etc.  Updates are compiled and pushed directly from OnePlus.  

I don't believe your statement above as I have look at multiple options to attempt to get my OS updated appropriate to allow the functionality of the new OnePlus Buds. Below is a screenshot of an attempt to upload the proper update with the error clearly showing that it is a Carrier issue. See information below “Carrier exclusive device”. Feel free to read below and tell me if you believe it is not a carrier issue. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

One question….have you updated your device on Google Play? Do they know you are using a OnePlus 6T?

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Oxygen Updater does not support the T-Mobile firmware.  That means, they don’t offer up updates for the OnePlus devices that have carrier branded firmware because there is no Local Update option in the T-Mobile firmware to apply it. 

What you choose to believe is up to you.  Maybe the next T-Mobile firmware update will have the app you need.  The 6T will be end of life though in a couple of months, so you might not get the update to make the buds compatible at all.    

Badge

One question….have you updated your device on Google Play? Do they know you are using a OnePlus 6T?

Yes, the device is updated on Google Play and Tmobile is aware I am using a OnePlus 6T.

Oxygen Updater does not support the T-Mobile firmware.  That means, they don’t offer up updates for the OnePlus devices that have carrier branded firmware because there is no Local Update option in the T-Mobile firmware to apply it. 

What you choose to believe is up to you.  Maybe the next T-Mobile firmware update will have the app you need.  The 6T will be end of life though in a couple of months, so you might not get the update to make the buds compatible at all.    

I don't know when the next update will be, but I guess I have to sit and wait. 

Badge

I have the same problem with the OnePlus 7T, I read suggestions of converting the T-Mobile Variant with the Universal version but I'm scared that I'll brick my phone by mistake since there's a lot of instructions scattered around and now a reliable official guide for newbies like me.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I have the same problem with the OnePlus 7T, I read suggestions of converting the T-Mobile Variant with the Universal version but I'm scared that I'll brick my phone by mistake since there's a lot of instructions scattered around and now a reliable official guide for newbies like me.

It is fairly simple.  If you convert to the T-Mobile firmware you will lose dual-SIM until you flash it back to a firmware, Global firmware, that re-enable The dual-SIM function. 

Converting from the T-Mobile firmware to the global is slightly different.  You want to have your device SIM unlocked first because you can only SIM unlock the device on the T-Mobile firmware.  Outside of that, things are pretty much the same.  

I have yet to hear of a device bricked from flashing with the MSM Tool. Do NOT use the fastboot method that requires an unlocked bootloader. 

XDA has the best tutorials on how to convert properly and successfully with the MSM Tool.