Question

OnePlus 6T android 11

• 15 October 2021
  • 22 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
  • First activity
  • 0 replies

Is TMobile not updating the OnePlus 6T to Android 11 any longer?  The software development page no longer list OnePlus 6t as devices getting software updates.

22 replies

T-Mobile, we need an answer. The phone is supposed to get 3yrs of OS updates. Android 12 has launched and the 6T is still running OS 10. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

OnePlus has discontinued the 6T because the device is end of life.  T-Mobile doesn’t contribute anything to the updates outside of some bloatware they contract out to third parties and carrier aggregation.  The devices OnePlus decided to go with getting 3 years of OS updates and 4 years of security updates, starts at the OnePlus 8 series and newer.  Anything before that, good luck!  Especially with the merge of Oxygen OS and Color OS.  

T-Mobile, we need an answer. The phone is supposed to get 3yrs of OS updates. Android 12 has launched and the 6T is still running OS 10. 

Completely agree.  It's one thing if you just scrubbed the Android 11 upgrade page to make way for the Android 12 page, but shame on you if you aren't actively working to update this phone to Android 11 after OnePlus made it official.  Shame on you also for leaving your customers out in the dark on the update status after the upgrade page had indicated you were in the process of updating the software to Android 11.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The 3 years of Oxygen OS updates is for devices starting with the OnePlus 8 and newer.  The 6T is already end of life. 

The 3 years of Oxygen OS updates is for devices starting with the OnePlus 8 and newer.  The 6T is already end of life. 

To be clear OnePlus has rolled out OxygenOS 11.1.1.1, the last major OS for the 6T several months ago.  T-Mobile branded phones are still running on 10.3.12, and T-Mobile has provided no timeline for if/when it will push the OTA update.  T-Mobile is the choke point here.  Also, security updates should continue to roll out periodically for the next year, albeit at a slower pace than for newer devices, so no the phone is not quite at EOL.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

OnePlus compiles and pushes the updates   Not T-Mobile.  Outside of some carrier aggregation, feature requests, and bloatware.  T-mobile has very little say in the update process. 

The fact remains...I could root my phone and have the update today, but I shouldn't need to go that far.  Be it T-Mobile or OnePlus, if I end up having to root my phone for the update I'll never buy another phone from either of them again.  Pulling stunts like this is how you lose your loyal customer base.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Rooting your phone isn't going to get you an update that doesn't exist for your firmware.  You would need to MSM Tool to a different firmware, which is actually easier and safer than rooting. 

OnePlus compiles and pushes the updates   Not T-Mobile.  Outside of some carrier aggregation, feature requests, and bloatware.  T-mobile has very little say in the update process. 

No, your wrong on this.

T-Mobile validates the updates and pushes them when it is a branded device, like the TMO version of the 6t.

They can and do hold back updates and security patches.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

No, your wrong on this.

T-Mobile validates the updates and pushes them when it is a branded device, like the TMO version of the 6t.

You clearly have no idea how the process works.  Try joining the OnePlus FUT program to learn something. 

No, your wrong on this.

You clearly have no idea how the process works.  Try joining the OnePlus FUT program to learn something. 

The FUT program doesn't count, that's a restricted early access program - one that hasn't seen updates in quite some time for 6t and 7 Pro on TMO. 

Tell me, do you have a TMO branded OnePlus 6t? Has it received an update more recent than September 1 2021 unlike the international versions that have already received O² OS 11?

Better than all that, are you a TMobile or OnePlus employee that can back up your claims with authority?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

No, your wrong on this.

The FUT program doesn't count, that's a restricted early access program - one that hasn't seen updates in quite some time for 6t and 7 Pro on TMO. 

Tell me, do you have a TMO branded OnePlus 6t? Has it received an update more recent than September 1 2021 unlike the international versions that have already received O² OS 11?

Better than all that, are you a TMobile or OnePlus employee that can back up your claims with authority?

Again.  You have no idea what you are talking about.  The FUT program can be applied to by anyone with the device to receive alpha and beta updates and provide feedback and troubleshoot to recreate bugs and provide that feedback directly to the engineering team for that device.  I am a member of the FUT program for the 7 Pro and the 8T.  My mother scooped my 9, at least until I get another one.  

No, your wrong on this.

Again.  You have no idea what you are talking about.  The FUT program can be applied to by anyone with the device to receive alpha and beta updates and provide feedback and troubleshoot to recreate bugs and provide that feedback directly to the engineering team for that device.  I am a member of the FUT program for the 7 Pro and the 8T.  My mother scooped my 9, at least until I get another one.  

The FUT program requires signing an NDA in addition to other requirements. Hardly the same thing as a the standard update model that a stock user has. 

Do you have a TMO 6t enrolled in FUT? Has it recieved updates more recent than September?

And I have no idea what I'm talking about? Do you have anything to prove that you do?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

No, your wrong on this.

if you are hoping for anyone with actual authority to give you an answer you might not want to hold your breath..primarily a peer to peer site with some TMO moderation only..you wont get the answer from any employees in here. you’ll more than likely get it from another customer..

as for the “restricted early access program...syaoran has been doing them for quite some time..which again points at who exactly the update comes from? it isnt TMO doing that program..its whom?

and the international versions of devices have always received more updates than the American variants..this has been the same way for decades.

No, your wrong on this.

if you are hoping for anyone with actual authority to give you an answer you might not want to hold your breath..primarily a peer to peer site with some TMO moderation only..you wont get the answer from any employees in here. you’ll more than likely get it from another customer..

as for the “restricted early access program...syaoran has been doing them for quite some time..which again points at who exactly the update comes from? it isnt TMO doing that program..its whom?

and the international versions of devices have always received more updates than the American variants..this has been the same way for decades.

Never disputed that the updates are developed by OnePlus, I am saying they are validated and released once carriers approve in the case of a carrier branded device. This is exactly the reason the international versions have gotten further updates - they are not carrier branded units. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

not to mention not quite the same device that is sold to the US/Canada. usually there is a difference processors from what i have seen over the years. plus not much reason to have a device that can use the the bands in for example Japan if odds are it’ll never be there and only used in the US.

Back in 2018 Oneplus made an explicit statement that all Oneplus 6T T-Mobile phones will require extra certification steps before an OTA update will be released on the network:

https://www.xda-developers.com/oneplus-6t-t-mobile-model-details/

It became very obvious that a branch from the mainline OxygenOS was created explicitly for T-Mobile. In the early days, there were numerous releases that cherry-picked commits from the mainline that ended up having a TMobile specific build that was compiled and released to TMobile for certification. There was always a substantial delay between the international firmware and the TMobile variant due to this level of certification. 

The FUT program (Friendly User Testing) is basically a beta program. It has nothing to do with the official OTA stable line builds that TMobile would certify for the masses. It shouldn't even be apart of this conversation - it is not something that is ever recommended for production devices that we use as daily drivers. 

Back in August of 2021 it was explicitly stated that the Oneplus 6T was "in development" with Android 11.  TMobile has a horrible practice of removing this information for each Android version that comes out, but they can't escape the Wayback machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20210819115100/https://www.t-mobile.com/support/phones-tablets-devices/software-updates

That being said - all references to the update from TMobile have been scrubbed. The only way to get the update would be to convert your TMobile OxygenOS to the global build. TMobile has gone completely silent on whether or not the device will receive it even though it has been officially released by Oneplus. 

Contrary to syaoren's statements, TMobile has absolute "say" with the TMobile version. It's contractual. Oneplus cannot release any OTA updates for TMobile phones. I don't know what reality in which this isn't ultimate control - we can't update unless we convert the phone to the global SKU. It seems very childish to argue this fact, and then to tell others they don't know what they're talking about. I could care less if this was posted by an XDA developer - the core statements that fireguy posted are absolutely factual and correct.  I signed up to just post this as the amount of misinformation is staggering. To top that off - no reference to factual data was posted to counter fireguy's factual statements.

If we're going to have a conversation - then make it an educated conversation instead of name calling.  I want TMobile to make an official statement on this - and I hope a mod is watching this thread as there was already an intent of promise for Android 11 with the Oneplus 6T - if this has changed, so be it, at least we can flash to global and get it but no information is a horrid policy from TMobile. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Quoting something from 2018… 

OnePlus Software Maintenance Schedule - OnePlus Community

Things obviously can change but the 6T is beyond the 3 year point. 

I am bound by the NDA for the FUT program just like everyone else.  Knowing how these builds are chosen, they aren’t cherry picked.  It’s about a 1 to 3 ratio.  You deal with your first party customers first and best and then worry about the others just enough to keep them happy.  Asking for information and getting all defensive when it isn’t what they want to hear isn’t going to win further replies to the thread.  

The days of carriers doing much of anything with updates for any devices are long in the past.  During the initial decision to buy and resell the OnePlus devices, T-Mobile chooses the features and terms of the updates they will get for the retail life of that product.  Those things were decided before the 6T went on sale.  With the merging of ColorOS and OxygenOS.  There is no way a company is going to waste their time on a providing updates for a device that is beyond  Even the 7 Pro and 7T’s are end of life.  Take a look at this OnePlus official post about the merging of the two OS’s.  8 and newer are te focus.  You might get a security update or two for your 6T or 7-series, but that is all you can expect.  Especially with the OnePlus 10-series coming in 2022.

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/update-to-the-oxygenos-codebase-and-software-maintenance-schedule.1462181/

Okay, just as a follow up, Android 11 is being pushed out now on my TMO 6t. Just went to check system updates and it's there for download. It's 2.05GB in and the build is A6013_34_211102.

I also got the Android 11 system update yesterday, along with the October security patch. All the Android 11 bugs are still present on the T Mobile version, specially if you are a whatsapp vivid user like I am making  the app basically useless now. 

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but seems they failed to submit the build for Google Play Protect Certification, or at least I lost mine when I installed the update. Goodbye Enterprise apps.....   :-(

Quoting something from 2018… 

OnePlus Software Maintenance Schedule - OnePlus Community

Things obviously can change but the 6T is beyond the 3 year point. 

I am bound by the NDA for the FUT program just like everyone else.  Knowing how these builds are chosen, they aren’t cherry picked.  It’s about a 1 to 3 ratio.  You deal with your first party customers first and best and then worry about the others just enough to keep them happy.  Asking for information and getting all defensive when it isn’t what they want to hear isn’t going to win further replies to the thread.  

The days of carriers doing much of anything with updates for any devices are long in the past.  During the initial decision to buy and resell the OnePlus devices, T-Mobile chooses the features and terms of the updates they will get for the retail life of that product.  Those things were decided before the 6T went on sale.  With the merging of ColorOS and OxygenOS.  There is no way a company is going to waste their time on a providing updates for a device that is beyond  Even the 7 Pro and 7T’s are end of life.  Take a look at this OnePlus official post about the merging of the two OS’s.  8 and newer are te focus.  You might get a security update or two for your 6T or 7-series, but that is all you can expect.  Especially with the OnePlus 10-series coming in 2022.

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/update-to-the-oxygenos-codebase-and-software-maintenance-schedule.1462181/

I wasn't defensive at all - I was pointing out that dragonfli was correct and reinforced that with an article source that stated the same thing. 

The general guidance for supportability of a device that you referenced is correct. The fact of the matter is that both Oneplus and T-Mobile stated that the Oneplus 6T would receive an update to 11.  Even outside the supportability guidelines that were established. That's why it was such big news.

Either way - they released it. I'm on it right now. No FUT program. No special NDA. They did exactly the opposite of what you stated in this thread. The went through the T-Mobile certification process and released the software as an OTA update. They supported a promise they made (both companies). 

I'm not here to battle you or to make shots at you. Like I said before there is too much disinformation that was being posted. I don't like disinformation. So I replied.  The facts have now been proven. T-Mobile controlled the update to 6T devices. The global 6T got the update in September. We got ours in November. We cannot install the global OS on our 6T (not easily). We had to wait for the OTA.  The Oneplus 6T T-Mobile variant received the Android 11 update outside the support window.

And asking questions is _exactly_ what we should be doing. Why did we get a promise for 11? Why was documentation removed? That's the point of a forum. It's also common for mods in other forums to disclose information to answer questions. Asking for information in a forum from an official source is always what we should be doing. It'd even facilitate our conversation as we'd have authority stating it as opposed to two third parties.