Question

Oneplus 6T stuck on T-mobile screen

Badge

Got a notification to update android and clicked update. WHen finished, phone restarted and got stuck on tmobile screen. Tried all possiblly scenerios and options, got intouch with oneplus tech service but no luck. Oneplus said, possiblly bad motherboard. Can an android update cause motherboard to crash or is it just a scam by oneplus. Had an issue with my second oneplus phone and they ripped me off with the repair for that as well.. They are now asking $160 to replace motherboard?? Not too pleased with oneplus phones and won't suggest that garbadge to anyone...Buy a brand name and pay a bit more for the quality. At the end of the day, you get what you pay for.

Can an android update cause motherboard to go bad?? Anyone else experienced similar issue??... 

3 replies

Badge

Wipe the cache partiton in recovery mode. Another very smart user said how to enter recovery mode. Follow their instructions. Bottom line is just dont update. Have a nice day!

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

OnePlus devices and support really are hit and miss.  I never cared much about anything before the 7 Pro, which I have 2 of.  One is from T-Mobile and the other is directly from OnePlus.  

Did the device work fine before the update?  Have you tried factory resetting it from Android Recovery?  Factory Resetting will wipe your device!

1. First, power off your phone normally.
  2. To turn it on, press and hold the Volume up + Power buttons simultaneously. Don’t release them until you see the OnePlus logo on the screen.
  3. Tap on the ‘Wipe data/Factory reset‘ option.
  4. Now tap on the ‘Wipe data/Factory reset‘ option to confirm your selection.
  5. The phone will reset and on the new screen, use the Volume up button to scroll to ‘Reboot system now.’ This will reboot your phone normally and that’s it!

If this doesn’t manage to work, then it suggests something is seriously wrong.  I wouldn’t nece3ssarily blame the motherboard as much as I would blame the flash memory the device uses.  This is some of the cheapest flash memory and soldier you can get out of China, which seems like the more common issue. 

XDA Developers OnePlus 6T forum will have all of the links to the MSM Tool and drivers needed to flash the device in EDL mode.  This will return the device to stock and an earlier firmware.  If this process completes successfully and the device works.  I would avoid the latest update.  Updates for the OnePlus 7/7 Pro/7T Pro/7T Pro 5G/7T Pro McLaren/7T Pro 5G McLaren/8/8 Pro have been pretty poor compared to updates from 3 months ago and earlier.  If the device still doesn’t work, then a motherboard replacement would also replace the flash memory, RAM, chip, modem, etc.  It would even give you a new IMEI, so it is pretty much like getting a new phone, except for the exterior.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I tagged @syaoran . He very helpful with these phones.