OnePlus 7 pro updates

Userlevel 1
Badge

It appears OnePlus has had update version 9.5.10 out for several weeks now and T-Mobile has yet to send update out to their customers. The last two updates from T-Mobile have been only security updates for Android. OnePlus has released software updates to improve the camera and screen gestures and touches, but TMobile hasn't. If my phone was unlocked I could download the updates online. TMobile has to step up and refrain from not updating new phones.

63 replies

Userlevel 5

You're never going to have a carrier version of a phone be as up-to-date as the non-carrier versions.

When you buy a phone, you're making one of two acknowledgements:

1. If you buy a carrier-branded version of the phone, you acknowledge that all software updates will be tested by them on their timeline so you know it should work fine (There have been comments about some updates being rejected in the past because it didn't work with something carrier-related).
  2. If you buy a non-branded phone (Pixel, iPhone, Unlocked Galaxy, etc), you accept there's the chance that an update will cause something carrier-related to not work as expected.  My personal experience with Android devices has been software updates do things that break other apps (camera-related has been the primary, but I've had text messaging issues as well for a day or two at least once)

I'm not saying you shouldn't expect updates.  But, I'm imagining T-Mobile is like any company I've worked for where the QA team isn't particularly large.  There's a fairly large number of devices T-Mobile sells (and thus supports for a period of time).  The allocation of these resources are based on some algorithm (my guess is some ratio relating to number of devices sold and how long since the last update was pushed?  That's how I'd do it).

"Weeks" is probably way too soon to get through any carrier testing.

Userlevel 4

You can always do like the 6T owners and go to XDA and download and flash the international firmware.

T-Mobile of course does not support that action however it is something you can do and revert back to T-Mobile stock firmware if need be.

Userlevel 1
Badge

To do that my phone needs to be unlocked and T-Mobile isn't going to unlock my phone unfortunately. I was wishing they would release the latest OnePlus 7 Pro update.

Userlevel 4

Fortunately your phone does not have to be unlocked to perform the flash.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Is the procedure something anyone can do? We are talking about the 9.5.10 update?

Userlevel 4

Yes anybody can do it. In fact I daresay the majority of OnePlus 6t owners on T-Mobile as well as 7 pro owners have flashed to the international version.

However if you're questioning this then you're probably not someone who is familiar with these procedures so you may want to avoid them.

at any rate the update schedule is almost a 3 to 1 ratio with OnePlus updating 3 times before T-Mobile gets to the update 3 ago.

Unfortunately you get duped by TMobile that your getting this great device.  For me....I've been eyeballing the OnePlus 7 Pro for months.  I know the phone is truly a Flagship....PERIOD!  HOWEVER, TMobile feels that even though we are paying for the phone....we don't deserve the updates because we didn't purchase outright.  We financed.  Do I lose the horsepower of a Charger because I decided to lease?  Cmon TMobile....you want to play with the big boys.....get the proper tech people on board and get these phones the updates we deserve and the features that come with them!  MAN UP!  Be the Flagship go to!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The updates and the schedule they are released has nothing to do with T-Mobile.  The internatiinal/US firmware and T-Mobile firmware are not comparable.  The notification issues and a few other major issues on 9.5.10 that were carried over from the internatiinal/US 9.5.9 firmware that the T-Mobile 9.5.9 firmware do not have so there is no need for a newer firmware until th August security patch is released by Google. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Is what you are saying is that I can purchase a OnePlus 7 Pro directly from OnePlus and still use my TMobile sim card and receive OTA updates from OnePlus?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Yes.  T-Mobile does not provide OTA's for any version of the OnePlus 7 Pro or any other device.  OTA's are provided by the OEM regardless of whether they are sold by a carrier or not.

Well....forgive me if I trust who I should on this but OnePlus is even jumping on the TMobile bandwagon.  They say that these updates should be passed on to assure we are getting all the camera fixes and others as well.  Why can't we have what the others have?  It's the same phone!  You aren't even updating our phones with their updates.  Or if you are...it's months after all others have benefited from the nice camera fixes.  So I should go to Verizon because they update their phones when they should and with ALL the extras? 

Yes!!!  That's the way to go!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

OnePlus support is just deflecting on to the carrier because most people don't seem to understand that the updates for different firmware are not always the same.  What is in the 9.5.10 Internatiinal/US firmware is mostly in the 9.5.9 T-Mobile firmware.

When you call support for just about any company, the person is going to say whatever it is going to take to get you off of the phone the fastest.  T-Mobile might have sold you a phone, but that phone and it's software come from OnePlus.  As someone who is in the OnePlus FUT program for the T-Mobile firmware.  This program would not exist for the T-Mobile firmware if T-Mobile had anything to do without the updates beyond providing bloat and carrier aggregation.

This answer loses 5 lines.....period.

Userlevel 1
Badge

What has been your experience with the OnePlus FUT program? Are you receiving the latest updates and have they resolved the ghost touches, scrolling issues, and camera problems? In other words when OnePlus says they are rolling out 9.5.10 it's not being sent to TMobile customers?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The FUT program is open to anyone who wants to join.  There is a thread and a link to the sign up on the OnePlus forum. 

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/join-our-friendly-user-testing-program-for-tmo-version-of-6t-and-7-pro.1045519/

I can't actually comment on the specifics of the not publicly released updates for a variety of reasons.  One FUT member might get a different build than another based on issues they have specifically reported.  I have never personally had the ghost touch issue. My issues with the WiFi Calling and VoLTE though have been resolved without an RMA. 

This might sound odd but there have been a few interesting things pop up lately that might oarticially be a factor in which devices experience what issues.  The blue version has some complaints for example, that the grey and almond do not.  Even though the backings are just coated glass, it seems like they are actually done on either different lines or different runs.  One XDA user purchased both and noticed a big difference on the screen calibration between the two and has also experienced issues on the same software version with one device but not the other.

OnePlus in my opinion, is actively trying to address the main issues as soon as possible.  Out of the devices I have owned over the years and being fairly tech savvy.  Their engineering team has been nothing short of excellent in my experience in replicating and providing logkits for them to resolve the issues I had with 9.5.8 with the 9.5.9 update. 

Userlevel 4

No one can comment on the FUT given the NDA.

Userlevel 4

However I can say that the test has been pushed back two to three weeks. So that has not even started.

Userlevel 4

There is no test so there's really nothing to disclose.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I read about the FUT on the OnePlus forum. Since it's been pushed back several weeks I take it you are still experiencing some issues on your 7 Pro. I realize you can't confirm any improvements, but nothing has changed.

Userlevel 4

I can confirm that the fut is for the T-Mobile 6T and 7 pro.

Userlevel 1
Badge

It would be more promising if OP actually started the fut testing. TMO being involved could just tank the project.

Userlevel 4

Considering the test is for the T-Mobile variants that means T-Mobile has to be involved.

Can you download the International Version on One Plus site without rooting???

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

0erhaos, because the 9.5.8 uodate did mess up VoLTE and WuFi Calling along with a few other things.  I wouldn't be surprised if it contains beta apps and aggregation test settings but the bulk of it should be to improve the carrier model experience provided by OnePlus.

T-Mobile sales count for significant chunk of US sales for OnePlus.  With T-Mobile as an exclusive partner for the US and EE for Europe.  DeutschesTelekom is a big partner.  Each firmware version has their unique issues, so one fix for one firmware won't necessarily be the fix that works for every firmware version.

Outside of the hardware, I don't expect it to be much different than Samsung's, LG's, and Google's beta programs but I do hope it is more like Xiaomi's.  Weekly builds focusing on specific issues I personally found productive on my Mi MIX 3.