OnePlus 7 pro updates

Userlevel 1
Badge

It appears OnePlus has had update version 9.5.10 out for several weeks now and T-Mobile has yet to send update out to their customers. The last two updates from T-Mobile have been only security updates for Android. OnePlus has released software updates to improve the camera and screen gestures and touches, but TMobile hasn't. If my phone was unlocked I could download the updates online. TMobile has to step up and refrain from not updating new phones.

63 replies

Userlevel 4

well you would need to flash the international firmware through instructions on XDA or you could find the same instructions through video on the OnePlus community app. you would not need to root first but you will not be able to just directly download the updates from one plus' website without flashing the international firmware first.

Let T-mobile do what they do best.  Provide Carrier Service.  They are not yet set up with all the Tech Support to be pushing updates from OnePlus.  I've heard complaints about the OnePlus 6 guys just getting stuff months later.  OnePlus says its TMobile and so on.....so stop the fingerpointing.  Let's move onto what we can do.  See below.  TMobile puts you in this position.  So we now have to rely upon the phone manufacturer.  TMobile peeps.....do what you gotta do....we are fans of our phones....TMobile just provides a data service.  Done.

Guys I can't suggest enough to convert your T-Mo7 Pro over to the international version (as I did) if you want the official updates direct from OP. Now you can convert without having to unlock your sim and bootloader or rooting phone. After the massive update (9.5.7 or 9.5.8 one of them) which was nearly 3gb and T-Mo decided it was only going to send out 298mb of it, that was when I said screw that. I WANTED all the camera tweeks, not jus what T-Mo felt we should get. I compared pics between my 7 Pro(T-MO) to my cousins 7 pro(unlocked) and there was def a diff. especially in low light (auto & nightscape) and noise in general when zooming in any pic (day/night). Also DC dimming popped up on my phone once I converted.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I'm on Jump on Demand with T-Mobile but I believe I can just pay off the phone and it's mine. Does anyone know if T-mobile will unlock phone and whatever else is necessary so I can receive my updates directly from OnePlus? It now appears OnePlus has another new update 9.5.11

BTW does T-Mobile ever read the community posts?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

There are T-Mobile employees here.  You can't expect them to feel the need to reply to every post though, which is why it is nice to have so many helpful non-employees here to chime in when they can. 

You should be able to buy out your Jump device and then request it to be SIM unlocked. 

The 9.5.11 GM21AA firmware came after the GM21BA release for a different firmware version this morning.  However, features and updates for different firmware can contain different features and fixes related to that specific firmware.  Just because the GM1917 now has 9.5.11 doesn't mean the GM1915 isn't up to date for its specific firmware. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I just looked at my build number which is 9.5.9 GM31CB. I can understand different versions receive different updates. OP community can be very confusing at times when it comes to the 7 PRO. I wish there was a T-mobile Oneplus 7 Pro thread. You seem very knowledgeable with the 7 Pro. Do you believe my phone is truly up to date? Thanks in advance.

Userlevel 4

If you download the OnePlus community app you can choose certain forums and there is a T-Mobile forum.

T-Mobile won't unlock it so that it receives international versions of the updates they will only SIM unlock the device so that you can use it on other carriers. to get the OnePlus updates directly from one plus you would need to flash international software for which T-Mobile cannot do.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

It has the July security update.  The next update probably won't come until the August security patch is out.  9.5.9 made a world of difference to my GM1915.

The camera software can still improve but not many seem to be happy with it regardless of the firmware version.  I have updated my camera software with an apk from one of the XDA threads.  I am about as happy with the 3.4.24 camera and gallery app.  

My camera is version 3.2.101.....pathetic.  Again...just not gonna get what we ask for.  I can't even take half decent pics.  It's chalked up as a lesson learned by us consumers.  If this is spelled out somewhere...it's in print too small to read.  That feeling when you fall into a pit and unless you get help....your staying in that pit until someone extends you a rope.  I think I'll use it to hang my phone with.  Lol. Uggh.  

I even have the TMobile 9.5.9 version...it updated Android 9.0 and left everything else out...lol. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The main feedback on updates though, come from those running the Internatiinal/US firmware.  If T-Mobile device firmware people were more vocal to OnePlus about what they want improved.  I think you would see it happen.  The FUT program alone shows they are listening.  I have never had a single update turn around for any major issues with any OEM out of the many devices I have ever owned.

This is why complaining to the carrier isn't going to help get those updates to happen.  If T-Mobile gets enough negative complaints about a device.  They might not carry the next iteration of that device.  As a retailer, that is about the biggest part of the process they have.  OnePlus is still going to sell phones whether T-Mobile resells them or not.  OnePlus needs to hear what they need to improve upon for more than just one firmware version.

Userlevel 4

bernest44 wrote:

My camera is version 3.2.101.....pathetic. Again...just not gonna get what we ask for. I can't even take half decent pics. It's chalked up as a lesson learned by us consumers. If this is spelled out somewhere...it's in print too small to read. That feeling when you fall into a pit and unless you get help....your staying in that pit until someone extends you a rope. I think I'll use it to hang my phone with. Lol. Uggh.

the rope extended to get you out of your pit would be flashing to international.

Userlevel 1
Badge

T-mobile couldn't care less if your camera is pathetic as mine is. I have the same version which came with the phone. I should have purchased the Pixel but I thought T-mobile actually was on the ball with updates. T-mobile's customer service is geared to lead you on and tell you how important you are. I've been with them for 14 years and they really don't care. Going to the international version seems like a lot of effort when T-Mobile can correct the issues with an update. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Granted the FUT program is a good thing, but as you stated it hasn't started and is being pushed back several more weeks. It's been two months since the program was announced tomorrow. I can't understand why such a long delay. If it was running I don't think so many would be complaining about T-mobile.

Userlevel 1
Badge

My TMO OnePlus 7 Pro is now unlocked. I'm still unable to update to version 9.5.11. Do I need a computer to update? Will Chromebook work? Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The latest firmware for T-Mobile is 9.5.9.  If you choose to flash to the Internatiinal/US firmware, you will be able to update to 9.5.11 with potentially 9.5.12 coming in the next week or two. 

Userlevel 4

You can only flash the official OEM firmware to a device that is already on the official firmware. A T-Mobile variant cannot sideload the updates. So you'll need to flash to the global variant. you still may not get OTA updates but you can use Oxygen updater app from the play store to get the update faster or you can go to the support page on oneplus.com and download the update and install it locally.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Well Android 10 is out now. Let's see how many weeks it takes T-Mobile to release the update.

How long does it usually take to find out if they let you in program?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I received an e-mail about a week ago as well as a notification through the OnePlus forum app inviting me to a private feedback thread.  Check your spam folder. 

Userlevel 4

going to the international version is really a 10-minute process and there's really no reason to stay on T-Mobile firmware. I have the 6t and T-Mobile has not updated that phone since March. However I got an update from OnePlus after switching over to international just this month.

Yeah not a fan of TMobile update process. I would love to get off that train to nowhere as soon as possible

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

If I switch my OP7Pro to the international version and update to the new Android 10 version will I have any issues? Like network?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

You will have to use Oxygen Uodator or sideload the Android 10 update.  It is a limited release stable build with a lot of issues.  You lose RCS on the International firmware and WiFi Calling doesn't like to kick in unless there is no service at all.  Bluetooth issues, NFC issues, extra space under the Google keyboard, laggy launcher, and plenty more.  Even though the Android 10 build is called a stable build.  It is not the full official release that will be pushed to everyone later this month.

I thought there was a stable release as 7T is available soon with it pre installed. But not real sure

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

Thanks for the reply! Would I be able to come back to T-Mobile (US Variant) if I find the issues to be too much?