Oneplus 7t Pro 5g McLaren Android 11 update broke fingerprint sensor

Badge

After FINALLY recieving the update to Android 11 months after most other oneplus devices the Android 11 update is still full of MAJOR bugs. After updating, trying several restarts and even wiping the cache the fingerprint sensor is now broken. I can add/remove fingers just fine in the settings but try to actually use the fingerprint sensor to unlock the device or sign into a app my fingerprint is “unrecognised”. PLEASE T-mobile/OnePlus fix this ASAP!

15 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Man I wish I was having your problems. Im having problems with losing sim connection here and there. Had to reboot many times to get going again. It's happened 2 times since the update yesterday. Definitely not a happy camper here...

Badge

Man I wish I was having your problems. Im having problems with losing sim connection here and there. Had to reboot many times to get going again. It's happened 2 times since the update yesterday. Definitely not a happy camper here...

I had managed to fix the fingerprint momentarily be performing a factory reset, it restored all my apps from my backup just fine and then within an hour it stopped working again. Have you tried booting into recovery (turn on advanced reboot from within developer settings) and wiping the cache? My oneplus did that at least twice where it stopped reading the sim and that was before the android 11 update.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you for the tip, looks like that fixed it. Will report back if it happens again. Thanks again!

Sounds like your issue is an offending app. I wouldn't restore your apps from backup. Do a factory reset and install the apps fresh one at a time until you find the offender.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

or run it in safe mode to make sure its in fact a 3rd party app causing it.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I like the suggestion above. Please test that out and let us know if that resolves the issue. 

Updated to Android 11; fingerprint sensor no longer works. Able to create them but they do not unlock the phone or any app. Wiped Cache; no go. Wiped phone; no go. Started in Safe Mode; no go. Waiting patiently for the solution.

After FINALLY recieving the update to Android 11 months after most other oneplus devices the Android 11 update is still full of MAJOR bugs. After updating, trying several restarts and even wiping the cache the fingerprint sensor is now broken. I can add/remove fingers just fine in the settings but try to actually use the fingerprint sensor to unlock the device or sign into a app my fingerprint is “unrecognised”. PLEASE T-mobile/OnePlus fix this ASAP!

I have the same problem, after a Factory reset it worked for about 3 hours then failed again.

Ok so to fix my finger print issue the below steps is what I did:

1. Delete fingerprints /  restart
  2. Delete PIN / restart
  3. Boot into recovery mode (hold volume down and power to tun on) clear cache
  4. re add new different pin
  5. re-add finger prints.

so far I can unlock and use fingerprint enabled apps. 

note that as of right now you can only register 1 fingerprint and have it work.

Well those steps worked for a whole 2 hours…… sorry folks

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

has anyone checked out the OnePlus forums to see if this is being reported over there as well and if anything has been mentioned about fixes or work arounds?

Same issue, tried all the above suggestions with no avail. From factory resets, cleared cache, numerous reboots, and fingerprint rescans.  TMobile please release a fix!

It's strange the fingerprint unlock works extremely rarely.  Like 1:50

Unknowingly, my phone updated yesterday.  If I had known there were these issues, I would have delayed.  After it completed updating, the phone was laggy, but with another restart, it resolved.  The new update is definitely eating through the battery.  The fingerprint sensor is working fine at the moment, although, I hadn't been using it prior to the Android 11 update (it was wonky from the get-go).

My problem right now is that my back button is non-functional.  I've been able to get around it sometimes by using the page icons on the bottom or if an app has a back arrow, but some pages have neither function.  When I go to home screen and try to get back to the initial app page, I am dumped on the page that I couldn't get out of previously.  Has this occurred with anyone else or any suggestions?

I am reluctant to do a factory reset.

Thanks.

My issue is that Before the android 11 update I was able to set 2 fingerprint for each hand and unlock my phone with each fingerprint. Now the fingerprint scanner only let me use one of my right hand fingerprint. Please any suggestions.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

this fix would need to come from OP..not a whole lot TMO can do about that other than feed the reports of this to OP..you could also try checking out their forums to see if this has been reported in there and if any fixes or work arounds have been reported in there.