Question

OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren WiFi Calls Garbled

• 14 February 2020
  • 18 replies

I just got the OP7T Pro McLaren about 2 months ago when switched to TMo.  Ever since I have had issues with calling over Wifi.  Basically 80% of the calls in and out the person on the other end comes out completely garbled and can not hear them.  I would have to turn off WiFi during the call, then the call is 100% clear.  I work in areas that I can not get cell service so I use this often.  I called into TMo, have flushed network settings, restarted phone, turned on airplane then turned off, factory reset phone, and as of today, received a replacement phone under warranty that is having the exact same issue. 

I had this sent to the engineering team twice, first said they resolved the issue. Next call was worse than before.  I just got off the phone with support and they sent another ticket it.  Am I the only one having this issue?  This has to be a software issue.  I contacted OnePlus directly and they only said to replace or wait for OTA update, which they said it is up to TMo as to when it is sent out.

18 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

A lot of devices running Android 10 are experiencing issues with WiFi Calling.  This isn't just with T-Mobile and not just with your device.  Hopefully it will be fixed sooner than later but the issue is with Android 10.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Did OnePlus mention something about an updated being needed to resolve this issue? If not, you can try to use the steps on our Wi-Fi calling and browsing troubleshooting | T-MOBILE SUPPORT page to see if they help.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

As far as I know, it is an Android 10 issue.  Some builds for devices are newer than others though.  With my OnePlus 7 Pro, there are still some issues but it is getting better.  Back with the first version of Android 10 for the OnePlus 7 Pro, WiFi Calling was completely broken.  My guess is, that the McLaren Editions just haven't received the update yet to partially fix the issue that Google has already put out.

One other thing to consider.  Are you using Bluetooth while using WiFi Calling?  There are known issues with the Bluetooth and WiFi radio running at the same time. 

I have the same issue, called into TMobile and after talking with the lady my phone does the, no sim card again. Hard reset and it reads the sim again. So far I've got mediocre gps performance, horrible wifi calling, was unable to view mms or send in the dam phone. I can't even tell you how many mms I lost due to them expiring. All ok a flagship phone, that appears to be early beta in software. I woke up this morning after complaining and there was a software update. Supposed to fix everything, except Bluetooth now  is horrible, in my car, headphones, and the link to my equipment is dropping. I get it, it's new, but how bout you let me opt into one plus updates so I can get them timely. This was released on January 15 with December security and it's half was through February. This is RIDICULOUS. I am not going to pay my bill and I'm calling the FCC and filling a consumer complaint. There is no reason they can't release the security patches while trying to get their crap together on the software.

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

We just had a software update for this device the other day, do you still have the same issues with the new version?

I did reach out to OnePlus and they said it may be a software issue, but to wait until a new update.  No promises.

I think my phone did a update the other day, I just checked and it says up to date.  I turned wifi calling back on and will start testing again.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Thanks for doing that. Have you tested it again to if the calls were more clear?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi again.

Please let us know the results of the test you've done. Thank you.

Still not fixed... Missed a call yesterday from my supervisor because the wifi calling stopped working while I was asleep... Luckily I had the cool supervisor or I would've gotten paperwork or worse... (Military)

Sorry for the late response, so I have been calling on WiFi, and I see no major improvement.  Id say maybe a 10% improvement.   I still have to turn off WiFi when calling.  I understand this is a new phone, but this should have been noticed and corrected prior to public sale.   I do hope to have this resolved before the OP 8 is released.

On a side note, I had to swap phones within the first 45 days of having my OP7T pro due to missing calls...and I just found out on my bill that I was charged a $20 fee to do a warranty exchange.   I have no clue if the phone I have is new or refurb, really not happy no one told me about the fee.   But either way the issue still happens on this phone.  

Sorry I have been away. I still have issues with wifi calling registration. If I come home, there is no signal, it will connect with the WiFi network but it won't register for wifi calling.  In fact I mostly have to powercycle the phone for it to pickup, like a module isn't enabled, or it had crashed in the background.  I will wait till it happens again and I'll try and get a logcat of the phone before and after reboot. Also, I do see a lot of hangs in the os. Like just now I had to wait 45 seconds till I could tie again. The display freezes and it appears that you're typing but nothing displays. If I could root and change kernels to verify the issue on a custom kernel I would, but the loss of future updates and DRM issues precludes this. If you have devs there working on this they should have a rooted and unlocked one to test, at the very least let some of us unlock and test new software builds. Hell unlocked we could flash just the boot.img and see what changes are needed. The freeze could be related to the screen refresh swapping, but again, I'll try and get a logcat when this happens.

Appreciate it! I'd really like to see what the issue is with this wifi calling issue.

Have had the same issue since I got the phone back in Dec.

WiFI calls are absolutely horrible. Garbled, cut out . Even when I'm sitting directly in front of my Wifi connection. I have looked all over the internet and am unable to find a fix. Just chalk it up to another bug with this overpriced doorstop and use cell data.

Hopefully a class action lawsuit will be started.

So to show, I M not the only one having this issue.  Once again this morning I had my phone connected to WiFi, and no calls would come in, no text messages, nothing.   I had someone come to me to make sure I had my phone on.  Soon as I turned wifi off, instantly everything arrived and calls were flooding in.  This needs to be resolved.  Expensive phone that is incomplete.  Also I love how I was charged a fee to warranty exchange this phone after having it for 45 days... And still doesn't work.  

The fact that OP is already releasing the 8 makes me feel that they are done supporting this device.

I am having the same issues.  I'm missing calls all the time and will randomly get the voicemails through the day.  I use my phone for work and cannot be missing calls like this.  I also have calls getting dropped all the time when wifi calling is working.  Yesterday I had a wifi call drop 6 times in10mins all the while my wife was using wifi calling on her iPhoneX.  I hope that they have a software update soon cause this is bad.

I am having the same issues.  I'm missing calls all the time and will randomly get the voicemails through the day.  I use my phone for work and cannot be missing calls like this.  I also have calls getting dropped all the time when wifi calling is working.  Yesterday I had a wifi call drop 6 times in10mins all the while my wife was using wifi calling on her iPhoneX.  I hope that they have a software update soon cause this is bad.

I am having this same issue. If I’m on Wi-Fi calling the caller can hear me but I can’t hear them. I have the latest updates that have been pushed out.

I’ve had this problem since getting this phone… no matter what i’ve done with Tech support, hard reboots, changed sim cards, settings changes...nothing works.  Wifi calling goes in and out 90% of the time..it even happens on regular non Wifi calling.  Text will get caught up and not send or receive for unknown reason, I will never buy another one plus product again.  Extremely frustrated with this problem.