Question

OnePlus 8 5G IN2017 Dual SIM support on Android 11

• 27 September 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge

From the OnePlus Community, people who are testing Android 11 Open Beta on compatible OnePlus 8 5G devices, it is common knowledge the Dual SIM support was added and is working. I would like to know if this feature will be enabled on T-Mobile branded OnePlus 8 5G IN2017 devices as well. I am truly disappointed to know that this is not already active and I was of the impression that being a Snapdragon 865 device, this is almost like a default feature.

Does T-Mobile plan on enabling Dual SIM support on the OnePlus 8 5G when Android 11 is released? I truly hope they do.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

The device has the hardware but it is not enabled in the T-Mobile version of the software.  T-Mobile does not sell dual-SIM devices so don’t ever expect dual-SIM support to come to the OnePlus 8 5G.  If you want dual-SIM, you can either purchase your next device directly from OnePlus, which will work fine in T-Mobile’s network, or go through the steps to convert it to the North American/International firmware.  Unlike the OnePlus 7 Pro though, the 8 5G conversion requires the bootloader to be unlocked to convert it, which does trigger a tamper flag that can get you denied warranty service if that is checked during service.  XDA’s OnePlus 8 forum will have more information, links, guides, etc., in case you are interested in finding out more information on the conversion process.  

Badge

I made the wrong assumption that because this is an Android platform, it actually offers more configuration than Apple. I really like the phone for being my first high-end Android device. Looks like I’m going for an iPhone 12 next then. I can’t carry 2 phones. If only DIGITS work like a real SIM card. It doesn’t even support some of T-Mobile’s SMS shortcodes.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I am not sure if eSIM would be any better.  I am not sure if it is even available to Postpaid customers yet as well.  It does work like an actual SIM.  It might be worth inquiring to Customer Care about or waiting for someone with more knowledge of T-Mobile's eSIM implementation to chime in.