Question

OnePlus 8 & 5G NR SA - Do I need a new SIM for SA 5G?

• 22 December 2020
  • 9 replies

Badge

I have had my new OP8 for a while now and while I have seen the 5G icon pop-up, it’s been in NSA mode only per my mapper & signal check apps (such as Cellmapper & SignalCheck Pro).

I am using the SIM I had in my OP6T.  Do I need to change to a new SIM to get 5G NR SA support?  The guy in the local store said no, but I thought I read somewhere that I did need a new SIM.  Or am I simply not close enough to the closest NR site (3 miles away).  I have driven right by it however and still no sign of SA.  I will find a place to park next to it on the coming days off to test further.

Thank you for any insights,

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

You don’t need a new SIM.  If your device is already getting 5G connectivity, then the SIM is fine.  NSA and SA working depends on the area deployment.  If 5G SA is available where you use your device and the device is capable of using it on the N bands deployed.  Then it will work.  Not all 5G bands support StandAlone currently.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I’ve had a different experience. I was using the SIM I got in May (switched to prepaid) and when I put the SIM (R15) that came with my new Note 20 Ultra in September in my new phone I started getting 5G all the time & the signal was far more consistent. 

I did, however, call Tmobile customer service and follow their direction during the switch of SIM cards so that everything went smoothly. :wink:

Badge

You don’t need a new SIM.  If your device is already getting 5G connectivity, then the SIM is fine.  NSA and SA working depends on the area deployment.  If 5G SA is available where you use your device and the device is capable of using it on the N bands deployed.  Then it will work.  Not all 5G bands support StandAlone currently.  

Thank you.  I agree with you and have proof now.  I swapped the SIM in a TMo store today and they said I absolutely needed it, but they were wrong.  At least they didn’t charge me for the new SIM…  [They said my old SIM was very old, however, and they are probably right about that.  Almost 6 years old, I think and it has seen many phones.]

The same problem remains, however, with no NR connections reported from very close to known NR sites.  Something is up with the phone and I even tried NR only mode.

Also, I had a Samsung FE just before the OP8 and it DID connect to NR with my old SIM.  Yet more evidence it is the phone and not the SIM.  So, I posted on the OP forums for help.  Something is amiss!  Thanks again.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Is your device up to date?  The August firmware update should have enabled SA on a few NR bands. 

Badge

My OP8 IN2015 is running 11.0.2.2.IN21AA.  The System Update checker says I’m up to date, but maybe Android 11 is the real problem?

Right now it doesn’t want to even connect to NSA 5G.  So, I seem to be going backwards.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

It could be.  A lot of Android 11 updates have caused various issues with carrier settings, VoLTE, VoWiFi, and other connectivity issues.  This is why the carrier firmware version has still not been updated to Android 11.

Badge

Ok.  Thank you.  I suppose there’s a way to go back to A10, but I think I’m just going to return the phone instead.  I’ve already spent so much time trying to get it working how I want.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Flashing back requires the MSM Tool.  Guides, links, etc., can all be found on XDA's OnePlus 8 forum. 

Badge

I ended up getting a new phone.  This time a OP8 Pro IN2025.  Looks like it has the same problem with NR SA.  It doesn’t find SA sites and shows no signal when locked to NR mode.  NR NSA is working fine.

It makes me wonder if T-Mobile is blocking SA from unlocked phones?