Solved

OnePlus 8 Android 12

Badge

Ok I'm about done hearing that the Unlocked variants OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro are on Stable versions of android 12 while being stuck with the carrier variant means we probably won't see Android 12 on T-Mobiles OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro until Android 13 drops this is ridiculous thanks T-Mobile! 

icon

Best answer by tidbits 26 March 2022, 11:06

View original

24 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Ok I'm about done hearing that the Unlocked variants OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro are on Stable versions of android 12 while being stuck with the carrier variant means we probably won't see Android 12 on T-Mobiles OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro until Android 13 drops this is ridiculous thanks T-Mobile! 

unlike popular belief… Carriers have little control, and don’t touch the code like people think they do.  Multiple times OEM(manufacturers) have admitted it, but here in the states we still blame carriers.  Ever noticed Google doesn’t blame carriers anymore after about a year of them complaining?  Why?  They did an AOSP project with Sony and found out that carriers DON’T actually delay updates no more than a month in 90% of cases.  They only time there is any lengthy delay is where a security flaw was found.

Other OEM’s have pushed out their updates on T-Mobile except OnePlus.  They chose to update process for T-Mobile.  Why would T-Mobile delay 1 manufacturer over all the others they have?  Think about it for a second.  IF you device is paid off you can actually load the OnePlus version and run it instead of waiting for a T-Mobile version coming out.  OnePlus forums will show you how to do it.

Badge

Unfortunately I have only 5bmore payments left on my OnePlus 8 but I've got all the latest with my new addition to monthly payments lol my Pixel 6 Pro. I just want to play around band use my OnePlus for awhile but not on Android 11, I'm too used to 12 to want to go back lol. Do you know if they've even mentioned a date when it might be pushed for T-Mobile?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I can say that the wait for Android 12 on the OnePlus 8 was disappointing.  It’s a mess, full of bugs, and what does work, doesn’t even work well.  As a lot of other people have learned with other manufacturers and other devices.  Android 12 is still pretty much a mess that is going to take a while to fix.  

Badge

Really? I hadn't heard much about the 8 and bugs, probably because I'm using my pixel 6 right now and as I'm sure you know there was a ton of bugs for the 6 and 6 pro but I must have been extremely lucky because my experience with the pixel 6 was bug free and just great pretty much all around, I have no complaints. Hopefully by the time Android 12 reaches my T-Mobile variant of my OnePlus 8 most the bugs will be resolved hahaha! That made me laugh just typing it. When will a company, , clears throat, Google, just to name one lol stop pushing updates that clearly haven't been tested enough especially when they leave the final beta phase still completely broken and yet after basically no repairs they release the so called stable version which anyone that knows smartphones at all knows that's just the first wide open public beta, it's never stable enough for me to consider the messes they've released to be called stable, but the faster it's out the more other items, get pushed, also too early so they never lose site of that bottom line. Oh it's just sad really. But oh so true.

Badge

BTW thanks for the info on carriers not holding up the releases, I've always thought they had to add their own bloatware and whatever else they want to do with it to keep their feet in the pool at all times then release to their customers as they see fit. What you said made a lot of sense after I thought about it a little. Especially after a purchasing my pixel 6 because it's a T-Mobile variant, but being a pixel I get the new releases right away. The same time the unlocked versions get their updates so I totally believe you. I just wish Android 12 would be released for my OnePlus 8 so I can use that as my daily driver for a while again. But I went and ordered a pixel 6 Pro. So I really don't mind waiting longer for the one plus eight to update now since I'll be preoccupied with the pixel 6 Pro, hopefully without issue like it was with my original six, fingers crossed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

this is from a manufacturer that is no longer around...however how the updates are handled are still handled like this for every carrier..HTC just happened to be the only one to put it out for everyone to see how its handled..

https://www.droid-life.com/2013/12/26/awesome-infographic-htc-shows-us-the-anatomy-of-an-android-os-update-from-pdk-to-ota/

Carriers definitely play a role in delays. 

Carriers have little to no direct control in the development of the updates. However, they're the ones that put the requirements in place of which customizations/settings, extra apps, telemetry, restrictions, testing, etc, that the oems have to develop and implement, and the more they add or require, the longer you can expect the updates to take. If they didn't have additional requirements, it'd just be the unlocked version and there's be little delay (save time for testing/verification). So while they have little control, their extra requirements can still be a significant source of delays imo.

As examples of extra value that carriers require oems implement - potentially contributing to delays, look at things like Digital Turbine Ignite and SingleTap that allow bloatware and apps to be installed bypassing Google Play.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Carriers definitely play a role in delays. 

Carriers have little to no direct control in the development of the updates. However, they're the ones that put the requirements in place of which customizations/settings, extra apps, telemetry, restrictions, testing, etc, that the oems have to develop and implement, and the more they add or require, the longer you can expect the updates to take. If they didn't have additional requirements, it'd just be the unlocked version and there's be little delay (save time for testing/verification). So while they have little control, their extra requirements can still be a significant source of delays imo.

As examples of extra value that carriers require oems implement - potentially contributing to delays, look at things like Digital Turbine Ignite and SingleTap that allow bloatware and apps to be installed bypassing Google Play.

It’s already been pointed out since early life of Android.  Even Google believed it UNTIL they actually did their own case study with Sony during an AOSP project.  They found out carriers has very little to do with delays if any at all.  HTC, Sony, Motorola, and Samsung rolled out timelines of how things are done, and quite a few of their development team managers have pointed this out as well.  It’s one of the reasons why if you go to other carrier forums in other countries they blame OEM’s yet we blame carriers.  Try buying a Samsung phone directly from Korea, and talk about bloat and carrier customizations and how does Samsung release that version first before US carriers? Oh I used to work for Samsung Korea for reference.  Currently working for the DoD doing software.

Customization being a delay is the BIGGEST lie ever told.  All carriers AROUND the world has these “customizations”.   Explain how carriers here are delaying months to years, but the rest of the developed world don’t? They are all the same telemetry companies and ran by the same development companies around the world. custom apps for example are done in house and are updated through the app store and very little testing is needed as it can be done in house, and not part of the development process.  See Google/Sony AOSP project.  To make it FURTHER easier for this they made a carrier partition with specific APIs and can run on older software without carrier intervention.  How can Apple do this worldwide and release 1 OS for every carrier if they need all these customizations?   I have yet to see an app from any carrier that requires development with OS development to cause a delay.

Examples of SingleTap and Digital Turbine is a very poor example. If they are going to sideload the software only needs to be tested on a VM than actually through development.  As a developer standpoint it make 0 sense to develop something you are going to sideload after the fact.    As pointed they could just not develop at all and leave it in the carrier partition and it’ll run correctly and has the permissions to do so.  If Google changed the permissions it’s a couple lines of code and viola still doesn’t need testing.  The only time this wouldn’t work is IF OEM’s changed how the carrier partitions works, but this could break project treble which is a violation of using Android with Google services.

There’s a reason why Google releases a fully developed Kernel months in advance unless like previous versions of Android.  Governmental involved has always been the largest delay for software updates.  FCC, WiFi, Bluetooth, USB, Qualcomm(especially with CDMA), and a slew of other consortiums,  All of these have varying laws and regulations which is the reason why OS versions were all over the place especially during Android infancy.  Now you can finish the kernel test it out and see if everything works.  You can then develop the OS around that without tweaking the kernel from that point.  This is leagues better waiting for the kernel and OS to come and then do the kernel and OS at the same time.  More things to go wrong with testing as OS and kernel will have to rewritten.

unlike popular belief… Carriers have little control, and don’t touch the code like people think they do.  Multiple times OEM(manufacturers) have admitted it, but here in the states we still blame carriers.  Ever noticed Google doesn’t blame carriers anymore after about a year of them complaining?  Why?  They did an AOSP project with Sony and found out that carriers DON’T actually delay updates no more than a month in 90% of cases.  They only time there is any lengthy delay is where a security flaw was found.

Other OEM’s have pushed out their updates on T-Mobile except OnePlus.  They chose to update process for T-Mobile.  Why would T-Mobile delay 1 manufacturer over all the others they have?  Think about it for a second.  IF you device is paid off you can actually load the OnePlus version and run it instead of waiting for a T-Mobile version coming out.  OnePlus forums will show you how to do it.

So what if i decide to load OnePlus 8 Android 12 on my TMO version since its paid off. Will it still work well for like text messages, 5G, WiFi, all that as if i had the TMO version?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Everything works fine if you use the MSM Tool to load the Global/NA firmware on the T-Mobile variant.  The hardware is the same.  WiFi Calling works, VoLTE works, RCS works, etc.  It is recommended you request T-Mobile SIM unlock your device first though.  The device can only be SIM unlocked on the T-Mobile firmware.  

Everything works fine if you use the MSM Tool to load the Global/NA firmware on the T-Mobile variant.  The hardware is the same.  WiFi Calling works, VoLTE works, RCS works, etc.  It is recommended you request T-Mobile SIM unlock your device first though.  The device can only be SIM unlocked on the T-Mobile firmware.  

This is probably the best thing to do but a lot of people don’t feel comfortable doing something like this.  The entire android update process is still a major problem.  It seems like carriers claim that the manufacturer is holding up the update and manufacturers like OnePlus claim it’s the carrier.  It’s also rather strange that a low-end phone like the Nord N200 gets the Android 12 update before a “flagship” at the time of it’s release does.  I know the 8 is old in today’s cell phone world, but it’s still a very capable device, much more so that the N200.  To me this show’s it’s not about the hardware but how many phones were sold.  It’s obvious that the OnePlus 8 was not a big seller for T-Mobile.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The blame game is just to shut.the.consumer up but it is 95% on the device manufacturer.  As a person who has tested builds for just about every manufacturer that sells their devices through a carrier in the US and Canada.  It has been over a decade since carriers have had any meaningful impact on an update, especially a major one.  

The blame game is just to shut.the.consumer up but it is 95% on the device manufacturer.  As a person who has tested builds for just about every manufacturer that sells their devices through a carrier in the US and Canada.  It has been over a decade since carriers have had any meaningful impact on an update, especially a major one.  

I get it. OnePlus just gave a big middle finger to the T-Mobile community. Well, the few people that fell for the OnePlus 8 hype that is.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I get it. OnePlus just gave a big middle finger to the T-Mobile community. Well, the few people that fell for the OnePlus 8 hype that is.

the majority of their devices that received 12 are in the same boat..its by far not just the 8 running into this..heck a nice chunk of other manufacturers devices that received 12 ran into issues as well..

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

It's how devices are developed for.  You take two teams.  They alternate between devices release.  So the team that works on the firmware for the 9's and everything released then, is a different team than the team that works on the 10's and everything that came out then from OnePlus.  The older the device, the rougher the code merge between Oxygen OS and Color OS seems to have been.  

This isn’t saying much, but I haven’t read about many issues with the N200 and the update to 12. I saw a few reddit posts about what seems to be typical update issues across the board with all manufacturers.

I just find it rather odd that the N200, a $199 dollar phone, gets priority over this phone.  It tells me that T-Mobile has some say in the priority of a manufacturer’s updates.  Just guessing though, I’m clearly in over my head on this one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

not overly sure how they are prioritizing one device over the other..whichever team that is working on said devices issue filled update that finds a fix will kick it out the soonest..thats it..

Userlevel 2
Badge

You don’t want Android 12 anyway...it’s a nightmare of an OS with my Oneplus 9 Pro going all over the place. Things like this is worthy of getting sued and getting money back as the phone becomes unusable during the day and need to constantly reboot.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

LG might be gone but they did a pretty good job and getting 12 ready for their V60...i havent ran into any issues since it received 12.

knock on wood i didnt just jinx myself.

Userlevel 2
Badge

LG had its own issues with the screen burn-in...which I feel never got resolved no matter what people did. That was probably one of many downfall of LG in the smartphone world. I used to LOVE LG...but G5 was my last phone and after that, I was done with them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

yeah i didnt step into the LG world until i think the G7, G8 and then the V60..never ran into any screen burn in issues and im considered a power user..they were pretty solid simple phones to deal with..

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Loved everything about the V30 except the screen uniformity issues.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

dont get me started on that duel screen for the V60..it was like trying to walk around with a couple of bricks in your pocket..i yanked that thing right off soon as i felt the weight of it..was kind of cool but the weight was just not happening. my vehicle phone holder/charger set up couldnt even keep the thing upright..one small bump and the screen was facing the floor.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

We do have a space in the support space that talks about the Android 12 update and there we do show that the manufacturer is still working on that update for the OnePlus 8. I worked in tech support for T-Mobile for years and, believe me, we would love all phones to be updated at the same time and everyone to be running the same thing. It makes troubleshooting confusing when phones haven’t gotten their updates yet. On the flip side of that, it could lead to disaster if all phones got the update at once because servers that push the updates would not be able to handle that workload. If there were serious bugs with updates and they just pushed it to all phones and then everything crashed for every customer that owned their brand of phone!! Doing things in waves sucks for those that have to wait, but I can totally see why companies want to take the time to do it right or give themselves time to make it right when something goes wrong. 

Android Software Updates