Question

OnePlus 8 MMS over wifi not working

Have tried both stock and google messaging app, wifi calling on or off and with cell or wifi set to a priority no combination works if connected to wifi.

others here OnePlus 8 MMS help : tmobile  are having the issue as well it appears.

Anyone else having this issue or have a fix? I live in a congested area so speeds are sub 15mbit at best where my home wifi is 400mbit+ so obviously it would be nice to be able to use my wifi.

14 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

When selecting wifi calling, do you also go further and select wifi preferred. Without the wifi preferred being selected you are telling the phone to use wifi calling only if no cellular signal is available.😉

Tried both options same result

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Try these steps in order:

1. First try wiping both messaging app's caches & the wifi calling app's cache, turn your phone off and wipe the phone's cache (consult your phone's instructions) while restarting it again.
  2. Try wiping the data & cache of both apps (you will lose your messages so backup) & restart the phone.
  3. Try deleting the messaging apps, restart the phone, and reinstalling them.

If that doesn't work you may need to do a factory reset. 😢 Sorry.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Have you tried the suggestions above? Please let us know if that helped.

This is a known issue for many users and unfortunately TMobile and OnePlus are doing very little about it.

There are multiple posts on here, on Reddit and OnePlus community in regards to this issue. Factory reset will only fix it temporarily. It will go back to not working within a day.

T-Mobile, if you're listening, please help us out. I've counted at least 139 different posts on above mentioned forums related to this issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

This is a known issue for many users and unfortunately TMobile and OnePlus are doing very little about it.

There are multiple posts on here, on Reddit and OnePlus community in regards to this issue. Factory reset will only fix it temporarily. It will go back to not working within a day.

T-Mobile, if you're listening, please help us out. I've counted at least 139 different posts on above mentioned forums related to this issue.

I haven’t had any issues sending MMS over WiFi on my OnePlus 8 5G or OnePlus 7 Pro’s.  Do you have WiFi Calling enabled?  Have you tried changing your Auto-Retrieve Limitation and setting it to, All Files?  I also have Videos and Images set to send in, Best Available.  

Exact same issue with all 4 of our family's oneplus 8 5gs.  Also, calls and texts will just not show up our be delayed by hours.  Missing calls happens both on the 5g network or WiFi calling.  Have tried ALL of the steps above, none work for more than a day.  I'm so mad that in locked into a contract with these phones..  hardware is nice, software is hot garbage.  I'm giving T-Mobile a very small leash here because of the network merge with Sprint, but if these f'ing phones still don't work I'm citing breach of contract and going to go to arbitration to get out of the deal.  I've NEVER had issues like this on Verizon.

Have you tried the suggestions above? Please let us know if that helped.

Oh, we’ve tried ALL the “remedies.”

Something is either wrong with the TMO software you smear on this poor phone or the way it talks to the network. 

Yes, I'm hating this phone for the same reasons, but i find myself hating the clueless suggestions on how to remedy the issue even more. Tmobile get off your ass and fix it or take them all back. Stop pretending like you can't read the hundreds of posts from people experiencing this issue. This will not "magically disappear" someday, but if you don't fix it, or at least acknowledge it, your customers soon will. 20+ years with tmobile here....this may be the last one.

Adding my frustration as well. Never had this problem with Samsung phones but soon as I switched to OnePlus the problem began. I returned both the 8 and 8T because of this very issue. First I thought because the phones were too new (Oxygen 11) so I bought the 7pro, same issue. Seems to happen a lot more when I group text and send pictures via MMS.

I've had my One Plus 8T for only 4 days and can't receive or send texts. Been on the phone numerous times with tech support and no help. Never had this issue with my Samsung. I should've went with my instinct and stuck with them! This phone is JUNK.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

youre able to make and receive calls though correct? and is it all texts, sms or mms?

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that this is still an issue.

Got a brand new OnePlus 8T+ 5g yesterday and I am having the exact same issue.

I am unable to send or receive texts until I reset the device which will allow it to work for a handful of messages before it needs to be reset again. Very frustrating as this has clearly been an issue for at least half a year based on multiple threads here and other sites.

Edit:

If you have Carrier Services from Google, the recent update to that was is causing these issues. Uninstall from the Google Play Store and you should be fine.

Looks like it has not been fixed look at the latest carrier services reviews. Same issue for many. We do cellular preferred with wifi calling on. Works so far but not a perm solution.