Question

OP7 Pro WiFi/LTE frequent disconnects + overheating

• 10 June 2020
  • 4 replies

Since the most recent software update, my device has gotten very hot through normal multimedia (streaming/games) usage. I also noticed very frequent "pauses" or "attempting to reconnect" type scenarios in streaming services and online games.

I've started paying more attention to the notification bar when these disconnects occur, and see that 1) my WiFi drops, 2) LTE goes from active to disabled (empty triangle), 3) LTE goes from empty triangle to triangle with an X, 4) LTE re-activates (filled triangle with 4G/LTE text next to it), and 5) WiFi reconnects.

This happens frequently during active use, and the device gets extremely hot.

Build 10.0.4 GM31CB

5/1/2020 Google play system update

4/1/2020 security patch level.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

This has been an issue with 10.0.3.2 and newer so far on the 21AA firmware and was introduced into the T-Mobile firmware with the May update.  OnePlus is aware of the issue but very little progress has been made, at least from what I can see in the beta thread.  It persisted, although slightly better in the 10.0.3.3 firmware but it is still very bad regardless.  Hopefully the next update will fix it but I honestly don’t see it being resolved for a while. 

The only true fix right now is to use the MSM Tool to roll back your firmware, which will completely wipe your device.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

The OnePlus 7 Pro is actually in the middle of a software update right now. It’s staggered, but everyone should have it by this weekend. I’d definitely recommend checking it out. If you’re still having the issue, we’d want to reset the device and test without any apps installed to make sure it’s not an app that had issues with the update.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

The OnePlus 7 Pro is actually in the middle of a software update right now. It’s staggered, but everyone should have it by this weekend. I’d definitely recommend checking it out. If you’re still having the issue, we’d want to reset the device and test without any apps installed to make sure it’s not an app that had issues with the update.

It isn't an app issue.  It's a quality control issue.  The over heating is a hardware issue but the connectivity issues have been reported to OnePlus, have been reported on reddit, and XDA.  I have experienced the connectivity issues on both of my devices, which can be solved by rolling them back.  It isn't worth the hassle though because that wipes the device.  A lot of OnePlus 7 Pro, 7T Pro, and 7T Pro 5G users are patiently waiting for this issue to be fixed.

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

I’m not saying it isn’t a hardware issue, I’m just trying to make sure we do everything we can to remove the possibility of a software issue before recommending they contact one of our Experts for a replacement. Right now I’m not seeing any bulletins or anything that would prevent a replacement due to dropped connections. Although if you could test on multiple Wi-Fi routers, that would be really helpful too.