Solved

Oreo update for the LG V30?

When will the V30 receive the Oreo update form last year?  I bought I high end phone thinking it would be supported for a while and it seems like it is not being supported at all.

icon

Best answer by tmo_mikem 6 March 2018, 21:40

The LG V30/V30+ was added today to the Android Oreo updates listed in development: Community-2444

View original

409 replies

I remember that lg was attempting to beta test it for some us models of the phone. I have seen anything from LG though if they were fully going to release it on any of the carriers here.

The LG V30/V30+ was added today to the Android Oreo updates listed in development: Community-2444

That's great, but there is zero detail about the update or a timeline.

Also, LG's PR came out and said that we were going straight to 8.1 as well (source: https://goo.gl/iepUeo). Do you have a comment on that?

Lastly, we just really want to know WHEN the Oreo update is going to be pushed out to our devices.

Thank you,

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

LG has never given a timeline.  So T-Mobile can never give you one as well.  So it comes down to when LG is done.

Verizon just released their Oreo update for V30.  Obviously, LG is done now.

When is TMobile releasing it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

When they are finished...  They do not work on one version for all their devices.  There are carrier specifics which LG needs to incorporate.  T-Mobile doesn't do this on their own, and have to wait for them to finish.

Yes i'm so tired of paying for flagship phones and not getting timely updates. These companies need to hire some developers. And provide a clear timeline. My next phone is whoever starts updating them regularly. Probably a Pixel but the last Pixel was not a great phone.

This will be the last time I purchase a carrier locked phone, if these updates aren't pushed out sooner from the carrier and manufacturer.  My LG V30 has been starving for this Android Oreo update.  At least with a factory unlocked phone, you get an unlocked boot loader, and you get more timely updates from the manufacturer.  I'm not knocking on T-Mobiles Network Service, but I think they really need to get there act together when it comes time for a firmware update.  I have to wait a year to get an Android 8.0 update?  Wtf?  A loyal T-Mobile Customer

Yeah it's looking more like LG blatantly lied about bringing 8.1 to the V30 here in the US. Verizon is getting 8.0 as we speak, I wouldn't blame T-Mobile for that. LG I guess sees Verizon to be a more important client than T-Mobile.

We were promised to be going directly to 8.1 from the CEO of LG's Mobile Division himself. I now see him as a liar, and that I will probably never buy another LG handset. We don't even have 8.0 and the V30's in Korea are getting an upgrade for the AI software in the ThinQ, they have had Oreo for months. The V30 in Japan is being sold under the V35 name and it had Oreo out of the box. This leads me to believe that LG no longer cares about the US market. It's sad, because the last 3 of my handsets were LG Flagships. I don't like Samsung. I think that I will have to find a new manufacturer. Too bad T-Mobile hasn't announced any plans to carry any of the Android One Flagships.

If they carried Android One flagships, we would get timely software updates. It's a new program by Google that certifies a phone that runs Vanilla Android and get timely updates for a few years

Yeah sadly the Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ are getting Oreo as I type

I know. I saw that this morning too.

I have to agree with this.  Knowing that Oreo is in Manufacturer Development is fine and well, but give us time frames please?  Days?  Weeks?  Months?  I find it very difficult to believe that no one in T-Mobile receives status reports on updates of this importance.

And now the Sprint V30 is receiving the Oreo 8.0 update.  Come on TMo!

If it takes T-mo a few more days to deliver Oreo 8.1 instead of buggy 8.0 I'm fine with that lol  BUT I doubt it will be 8.1
I seen someone saying it was going to be at the end of March so we aren't past that timeline yet... let's see!

Sprint and Verizon both received 8.0 updates so even though LG said they were jumping to 8.1, I'd say it's a safe bet that that's what we'll get.

8.1? We will get 8 late and like it ...Never again buying a phone that doesn't get timely updates. I see this as my fault I thought since this was a flagship and come out the same time from the same company as the Pixel 2 phones it would get 8.0 right away. Boy was I wrong.

You read it here. We will not get 8.1 instead of 8.0.  You must be joking?

You got to think that LG is not as popular as Apple and Samsung, and not in same spot as updates either. Samsung is really slow on updates to newer OS.

But all of the S8 models in the US now have 8.0, they working on updating the S7 now. LG left us behind.

There is a rumor that Deutsche Telecom, T-Mobile's parent company is going to start selling all of their phones with Vanilla Android (Pure Android without bloatware). They are tired of getting the blame for slow software updates because of the carrier specific applications. Let's hope that T-Mobile follows suit! It could be another game changer for T-Mobile! That could be another uncarrier. Could you imagine how many people would switch to T-Mobile if they could get a handset without all the bloat? Software updates would be easier. It would be like an unlocked phone, almost no wait.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

unegv wrote:

There is a rumor that Deutsche Telecom, T-Mobile's parent company is going to start selling all of their phones with Vanilla Android (Pure Android without bloatware). They are tired of getting the blame for slow software updates because of the carrier specific applications. Let's hope that T-Mobile follows suit! It could be another game changer for T-Mobile! That could be another uncarrier. Could you imagine how many people would switch to T-Mobile if they could get a handset without all the bloat? Software updates would be easier. It would be like an unlocked phone, almost no wait.

No...  They are going to sell them without carrier apps not pure android.

So S7 and S8 models have it.  Verizon LG v30s and Sprint LG V30s have it.  A little disappointed here that Tmobile either doesn't care enough or have the resources to warrant more attention for their LG Flagships.

Given what I see - it unfortunately appears that they just don't care enough.  It's not even in testing yet.

There is no such thing as "Pure Android" anymore. Regardless if Goggle makes Android, the Pixel uses a skin created by google that goes on top of android. So you might want to change what you say to "Pure Google".

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

jesseinsfmagenta wrote:

There is no such thing as "Pure Android" anymore. Regardless if Goggle makes Android, the Pixel uses a skin created by google that goes on top of android. So you might want to change what you say to "Pure Google".

Not quite right as saying there is no such thing as pure Android. You can get pure Android right here Android Open Source Project 

Google Experience would be the actual coined term by Google.

What they talked about was not having preinstalled apps on devices like what you would find in the T-Mobile folder on devices sold by T-Mobile USA for example, and not what the guy thinks it is.

I am getting back and forth from T-mobile and LG both saying they waiting on each other. I would just be happy with timely month Android security patches. We put soo much on these devices personal and business it would be nice if they where patched. If a patch breaks an APP who cares, I would rather be secure and have the app break because its not secure then to keep using a unsecure app. Give us the option at least.