Question

Photos deleted by phone and now being restored with incorrect date stamp

Badge

Yesterday I discovered that photos on my phone going back to 2019 had been deleted. The pictures are now slowly being restored, but they are being restored using the date/time of their restoration in the photo details vs. the actual date/time of the photo.

This happened at about the same time the LG ims bug seemed to be fixed.

What is going on?

When will all the photos be restored?

Will the dates get corrected?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

When you open up the picture what date does the geotags say?

Badge

Looking at a picture I took today, the file name is 20220526023_HDR.jpg and the date listed in the file is May 26, 2022 6:20 AM

There are also about 400 other photos now listed as “today” with a variety of dates in their name but the today’s date within the file details.

e.g.

filename: 20200627_211521_HDR.jpg  DATE: May 26, 2022 7:38 AM

filename: 20201126_140839_HDR.jpg  DATE: May 26, 2022 7:30 AM

filename: 20191231_232244_HDR.jpg  DATE: May 26, 2022 6:30 AM

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

When I open a picture I can click on the upper right at the 3 dots and open it and it will give me the geotag and the time and date of the picture.

It sounds like they were put in a new folder.

Badge

I guess I wasn’t clear--to get the “date listed in the file” I’m clicking on the 3 dots.

To recap,

• At some point yesterday, my photos going back to 2019 disappeared from my gallery.
  • Later that evening and into today, the pictures have been restored to my phone,
  • The date in the geotag has now been changed to the day and time that they were restored, NOT the date when the picture was taken.
  • The file name reflects the actual date when the picture was taken. In the examples I shared, the geotag date (DATE) had been changed to today.
  • I’ve taken 4 pictures today--my gallery shows 400+ pictures for today

I’d like to understand what and why it happened

I’d like to know if my geodates will be restored

I’d like to know if I’m the only one experiencing this problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Try contacting Tmobile support through Twitter to see if they can help , they’re also tier 2 support.

I don’t know if this is a Tmobile or LG issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Out of curiosity are you backing them up to google photos? If so check there.

Badge

Thanks! 

My photos are all backed up to Google photos--I’m just trying to figure out what’s happening with the Gallery.

I’ll reach out to T-Mobile.