Question

Problems after system update

Badge

After installing the latest system update on Samsung A53 5G (on July 31, 2022), incoming calls go directly to voicemail. Is there a solution?

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

what all things have you attempted to fix it on your side? restart the phone? network reset? all incoming calls or only specific ones?

Badge

Thank you for your reply!

1. I have had three conversations (on different days) about my problem with T-Mobile Technical Support, which did not result in getting the problem fixed.
  2. During this process, I have restarted my phone multiple times.
  3. I’m not sure if a network reset has been done (it might have been done by T-Mobile Technical Support). Is this something that I can do, or is it something that would need to be done by T-Mobile?
  4. The problem exists for all incoming calls.
  5. Outgoing calls can be made (if I make multiple attempts), text messaging works, and I can access the Internet. (My voice mail was working until T-Mobile Technical Support turned it off to see if calls would come through--they didn’t. Now it doesn’t work, even though T-Mobile says it has been reactivated.)
  6. Since the problem was caused by the installation of a system update on July 31 (the same thing happened on my wife’s phone), do you know if there is a way to uninstall that update?

Thanks in advance!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

not without knowledge when it comes to rooting devices etc..if its something you have never attempted before i would not attempt it..you can try doing the usual attempts to narrow things down..boot the phone into safe mode (this shuts down all 3rd party apps and makes the phone run fully stock to eliminate any 3rd party apps not playing nicely with said update)..if it still doesnt work then it isnt being caused by some odd ball rogue app. as much as i hate to say it you can attempt to perform a Factory reset to see if it resolves the issue..but if you and your wife have the same phone and same exact problem i would only do this on one device..if it fixes it perform it on the other device..if it doesnt fix anything then its safe to say doing it to the other device is pointless..

by chance do you happen to know what update it was? i know the A52 just received or is about to receive Android 12..but not sure what the A53 received.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

sorry..network reset would be in your phones settings..if im thinking right somewhere where you would search for device updates..just be aware when i did it on my LG V60 it deleted all my BT connections..i had to re sync all of them fresh..not used to a network reset doing this..

Badge

Again, thank you for your reply!

1. It sounds like trying to uninstall the system update is beyond my “comfort zone.”
  2. Does a “factory reset” wipe out everything I did since I obtained the phone: all installed apps, configurations, etc.? (My wife and I have exactly the same phones.)
  3. However, booting the phone into safe mode seems like something I can do.
  4. As does performing a network reset.
  5. I purchased my phone not long ago, so it came with Android 12. I have performed a number of system updates since getting the phone, without any problems. Details of the last (problematic) update are:

Software update information > From the phone

• Version: A536EXXU2AVG1 / A536EOWO2AVG1 / A536EXXU2AVG1
  • Size: 442.13 MB

Galaxy A53 5G (SM-A536E) > From the Samsung website

• Build Number: A536EXXU2AVG1
  • Android Version: S(Android 12)
  • Release Date: 2022-07-26
  • Security Patch Level: 2022-07-01
Badge

I tried both booting the phone into safe mode and a network reset, but neither fixed the problem.

Badge

T-Mobile Support is saying that the last system update has made our phones incompatible with the T-Mobile network. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

ooof...if thats the case this is by far something Samsung is going to need to fix asap..

Hi, seems like I'm not the only one...A32 4g here I purchased in france last year was just fine before the August 3rd update. On 4g I only receive texts and have internet access. Switch to 3g only I can make calls send texts no internet or limited.  2hours with T-mobile tech support turned off plane mode. Reset network. Turn phone on and on etc...August 4th 2 trips to TM store only worked briefly gives me an H or H+ signal. August 5th trip to TM they told me there's nothing else they can do for me. Called Samsung send me to a certified repair shop Best buy 45 minutes away to be told they don't even have the diagnostic support for A phones. By the way as I was nearing that location my phone worked on 4g...Go figure! I rested Sunday the 7th..at it again Monday the 8th talked to 4 more people At TM support. Wanted me to do a factory reset. Monday evening went for a ride phone worked properly around a business area....I backed up my data waiting for a call back Tuesday to be told that my phone was now partially incompatible with the network "most likely because I bought it in France!!!!" At this point whenever I go somewhere I test the 4g for calls texts and internet I'll be getting a call back from the Tech Support in Alabama from Phil Thursday afternoon. I don't want to do a factory reset if I don't have to. This stinks but now that I see I'm not the only one their France purchase excuse is now out the window so thank you all for posting,  I'll keep you posted 🤬

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

the update that was pushed to the A53 would not be the same update pushed to your A32..highly doubt theyre the same issue.

couple other things i didnt see mentioned..since this was purchased over seas im guessing its missing a few of the bands the U.S variants have that TMO uses..on top of this TMO is pulling 3G so unless your phone has VoLTE capabilities that can be used on TMO it wont work once they get the 3G deal started.

Hi, thank you for your reply. Today I traveled 20 miles away and everything is working on my phone 4g and 4 bars…

This morning at home it showed noting the little circle no network to be found!!! I restarted my phone 3 times. I'll update later after my phone call with T-MOBILE.

Why would my phone work in some areas and not others?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

different towers could have different bands on them..so the tower covering you could have a different band of LTE compared to the towers you were hitting when you left the area..your closest tower could also be down with issues.

since your device isnt from the states here im leaning towards lack of certain LTE bands we use here but i dont know what all bands it has compared to the US variants or if there is even a difference in them.

So yesterday I stopped at another tmo store came across a guy who's been with them 23 years. Looked at my phone asked me where I bought it within minutes showed me my 4g doesn't have the LTE thing so in other words I've been lucky it had been working at all since I never had full 4g…and he convinced me to get a new phone which I'll be doing this afternoon. 

However how come it was working just fine before the update?

And any phones I shouldn't get???

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

So yesterday I stopped at another tmo store came across a guy who's been with them 23 years. Looked at my phone asked me where I bought it within minutes showed me my 4g doesn't have the LTE thing so in other words I've been lucky it had been working at all since I never had full 4g…and he convinced me to get a new phone which I'll be doing this afternoon. 

However how come it was working just fine before the update?

And any phones I shouldn't get???

your question is also the answer.

also as of yesterday this is now a known issue with the A53  and Samsung is working on it.

unless its detrimental i would hold off on getting a new device since theyre actually working on fixing this one now.

Thank you. Does Samsung acknowledge the 4g issue on A32 4g as well?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

havent heard anything on that one..only got feedback on the 53.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

side question though. was your A32 purchased from TMO? and does it have VoLTE (Voice over LTE) capabilities by chance.

if it does not it will not be working very well once they dump their 3G side of things..the 3G side is usually used for voice and regular texts..but soon both of those will be going over 4G but only if you have VoLTE.

if it doesnt it might be getting to be about that time to upgrade

No I bought it in France and I don't think it does that's what they're telling me it doesn't have LTE...

a lot of problems after last app update

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

No I bought it in France and I don't think it does that's what they're telling me it doesn't have LTE...

European devices even though they are named the same thing dont always have the same bands needed over here in the U.S.

if thats the case you’ll want to be looking into a new phone here in the near future.

Thank you. I actually did buy a Motorola...

Badge

havent heard anything on that one..only got feedback on the 52.

Did they give you a fix on the A52?  My A52 started sending all of my calls to voicemail after an update a few days ago.  As a call is coming in, the cell strength bars at the top of my screen turn to the Do Not Disturb symbol.  I even tried a factory reset. :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

mind posting which update it is? i’ll ask but im going to need that update info as well.

and are calls the only issue or texting as well? regular texts=sms and pic texts/group texts are MMS...issues with either of those as well or just calls?

So, looks like the recent update, either the July or Aug 2022 from Samsung, somehow messed up the connection to 4g or 5g. I found that by changing the “Network Mode” to 3G/2G has resolved my SMS and MMS problems. Not an ideal solution so hopefully the next update or hotfix will correct this bug.

I am on a Samsung A52 5G.

Settings → Connections → Mobile Networks → Network mode → change to “3G/2G”

This is an issue that happened on all Samsung A536E variant after the July Security Patch (Latest on this model variant)

Samsung has been pretty much ignoring this (Big) issue (whether on purpose or not)  the only fix is to roll back your Android OS Firmware to the previous patch using ODIN.

This is the functional Firmware. > A536EXXU2AVF2

This is the latest July on the A536E variant that broke calling A536EXXU2AVG1 < do not install

Also happened on A235M Variant (A23)