Solved

Receiving my own text messages

I have a Samsung Galaxy s6. When I am only texting sms it works fine. When I send and receive a message with images in it, and then reply to that message, I am sent my own text message in a new group text that consists of me and the recipient. Is this a phone issue or a carrier issue?

icon

Best answer by tmo_marissa 23 April 2017, 17:26

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 3

Hey @dhardin72‌!  I'm sure you don't really need to see the picture you just sent - that's really funky.  Is this still happening?  Has this always happened with your MMS, or did it just start recently?  Are you using the native messaging app on the phone, and have you made any settings changes that could have spurred this?

- Marissa

Hey! I tried several things that were suggested in forums where someone was having the same problem or very similar problems. I cleared the cache partition on the phone and the app. I even tried blocking my own number. I was using the native app. Nothing worked. I finally started using Textra, and it works beautifully. I don't mind using Textra at all. I really like the app, but I'm still curious as to why that was happening with the native app.

Userlevel 3

I'm glad you found an app that you like!  Still, I'd be curious too!  Did your messages always behave like that, or did they just start auto-copying you at some point?  It sounds like you did your fair share of troubleshooting - did you ever complete a master reset, or did you find this workaround before it went that far?  If there was a settings issue somewhere, then in theory restoring the device to factory defaults would knock it back to normal. 

- Marissa

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Resetting the phone back to the factory defaults is the best way to help with anything funky going on with the native app. That's awesome you found an alternate app but have you tested a reset recently to get your preinstalled messaging app to work?

Userlevel 4

Just wanted to do a final check in for the questions above! 😊

-Lauren

So I'm not the only one!!! 😊

I switched from Google Fi to T-mobile on my Pixel 2 XL, and using the native Messaging app, I started to receive duplicate texts sometimes. Sometimes it is when sending a pic or video, but sometimes in group messages, I'll send a text and also receive the exact text. I switched to Textra, which has eliminated the problem, but I also like to use Messaging on my chromebook, and to do that of course I need to use Messaging on my phone.

So, I'd be interested in what a good solution is to this perplexing problem!

Thanks!

Does anyone have an option that doesn’t involve an additional app or reset?

I have an iPhone 8 and this started about 3 days ago.

Has anyone found a solution that works with this? We just switched from ATT to T-Mobile on 3 days ago and the receiving our own texts (my husband and myself) has been happening. Its driving us both absolutely insane and I am curious if it has anything to do with our numbers being ported over from ATT?

Badge

Has anyone found a solution to this, please?? @tdegaspe We just switched ourselves yesterday and this is driving me batty, too.

@Boorayin yes! We went back to the T-Mobile store and the original person who set us up didn't port our numbers correctly and we had to get new SIM cards. I'd recommend going back and talking to someone more senior.  Once they worked their magic problem stopped.  Hopefully the same works for you.

Badge

Thanks very much, @tdegaspe !  I did end up calling Support to ask and they said there was the same sort of error when porting my number.  Supposedly, they’re going to fix it and I’ll only need to restart my phone 24 hours from now.  I suspect you also noticed that the “About this phone” details had some other number besides the one that you were porting - this is evidently what is causing the issue.

I’ll give it a day, but suspect it might turn into another trip to the local store again.  Oddly, my wife’s iPhone that we ported over at the same time doesn't have the issue. We’ll see.  :grin:

During setup, if the device is powered on with the T-Mobile SIM in it before the porting process is complete, it can cause the problem. A new SIM card typically fixes the issues right away. 😁

Badge

Yup - you’re right @TLAMPAS1 .  The “wait 24 hours and restart your phone” thing didn’t work...had to go into a store to get a new SIM.  How this isn’t something that they don’t do a better job of teaching their stores is beyond me.  Thanks!