Question

recover file from disabled sd card

• 30 December 2020
  • 9 replies

Badge

Just got dad a new phone that came with new sd card.   I'd like to recover a file from the old, disabled sd card.    Any way to do that?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

The easiest way I could think of without needing to connect the SD card in some way to a PC would be to e-mail it to yourself from the old device.  If the file is too large to e-mail, Google Drive or OneDrive are also good alternatives.  Otherwise, connect the old device with the old SD card in it to a computer, go to the folder where the file is stored using the computers file explorer, and copy it to the desktop.  Then plug in the new device with the new SD card and copy the file from the desktop to the SD card on the new device.  

Badge

Thank you !   Can I ask a dumb question?  I went into the old phone w the old sd card and I couldn't find the file for the life of me.   Will your suggestions work potentially?  Or, if I can't find it on the old device w the old sd card, then your suggestions will yield the same result?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

It sounds like the file on the old device might be on the devices internal storage.  Find the file through the devices file manager and copy it over to the SD card.  This is also why I suggested e-mail or some form of online storage. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

are you meaning sim card?

Badge

Sorry I confused the question cuz I was using sd and SIM interchangeably.   Let me start over and rephrase the question.  

I saved something to my dad's old phone...I saved it to the sd card.   That phone is no longer used since I got my dad a new phone.    Am i able to retrieve something from the sd card even though it's in a phone that is no longer used (for which the sim card has been disabled)?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Absolutely!  The SIM card doesn't prevent the device from booting and being used like a tablet.  The SIM simply provides the access to the cellular connection and phone number for the device to use.  Outside of that, the phone is still functional. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

yeah only way the sd card would become a problem is if you switch it into a different device and the previous device had encrypted it  or something. other than that i have switched and used the same SD card (pics and such included) on my last 3 devices. heck the phone i use for bed time netflix watching is 3 devices old. im connected to wifi only obviously but can pull whatever i want from the SD card itself. still. if you are wanting to transfer something from that SD card/phone to yours you can try NFC to transfer as well phone dependent.

Badge

Awesome.  You both have been so helpful.    Last question..   I saved a voicemail from my visual voicemail app..and the voicemail saved to the following path.  

/storage/emulated/0

Any idea where I can find the file ?   I don't have any folders that resemble the path name ?

Thank you 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

that’ll more than likely be a syaoran question lol.. i adventured into that stuff a long while back with my SD card and there were so many sub folders within folders i ended up giving up lol.