Question

Removing T-Mobile Apps after leaving T-Mobile

• 13 January 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge

When I joined T-Mobile I brought my own unlocked Samsung Galaxy Note8. Now that I have left T-Mobile I see that they had downloaded apps that my phone won’t let me remove. This wasn’t a T-Mobile phone to begin with, so I’m not sure why I can’t remove the apps. 

Any suggestions besides wiping my phone completely or rooting my phone?

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

have you put in a different carriers sim card yet? and if so did you factory reset the phone?

Badge

I just did and the T-Mobile apps are still there.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

you just put in a different sim card from another carrier or factory reset it with the TMO sim card removed?

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Samsung devices will always default to the last SIM card used in the device, so a factory reset with the SIM removed will still tell Google that the device should have those apps and reinstall them.  ADB in conjunction with Package Info from the Play Store is the easiest way to remove them.  

When the device was purchased.  Was it purchased directly from Samsung or another retailer that has those policies where the device becomes a carrier U model branded device and locks to that carriers SIM when the first SIM card is inserted into the device?  If so, that would also explain why those apps continue to return.  If the device is a U1 model, then the SIM should remain unlocked.  Otherwise, you will need T-Mobile to unlock the device, if you haven’t done that already.  

Badge

you just put in a different sim card from another carrier or factory reset it with the TMO sim card removed?

I put in the other sim card and then did the factory reset.