Question

Returning new phone/lost charger

• 3 January 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge

I ordered a Galaxy S10 from customer care.  The phone was horrible, it didn’t accept most of my apps, and was buggy. I called customer care, and they sent me a label to send it back, so I got everything together in the original box. When I went to get it ready to send back, the charger was missing, and I can’t find it anywhere.

I called customer care, and the rep said that they need the charger. If I can’t find it, am I going to be out the $64 in tax that I paid for the phone, since it’s a refund?

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

With any return, there is always a restocking fee of at least $50.  If things are missing, like the charger, T-Mobile will probably charge you some silly amount for a brand new OEM charger.  It is possible that they will not accept your return without the charger.  Have you considered keeping the device and reselling it on Swappa without the charger?

Badge

There’s no restocking fee because I ordered it. They’ll accept the return, but customer care said they need the charger, and I still haven’t been able to find it. I got the phone on a special, and got a $500+ $54 discount it, and all I paid was the tax, so the total price is under $300. If I try to sell it on Swappa, I don’t know if I would be able to upgrade it. I don’t know anything about Swappa, how does it work?

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

If they need the charger, they can't sell it as new or open box without it.  Swappa is one of the better sites to sell on in my opinion, because they verify the device is not stolen or blacklisted.  That peace of mind for those who purchase from Swappa is why the site has a loyal customer base. 

You should request the SIM unlock. For the device though, if you plan to sell it on Swappa.  That way, you have more potential buyers and it will usually fetch a slightly higher price. 

www.swappa.com

Badge

It should be unlocked, and I have extra SIM cards. Customer Care said that it has to be in the mail by next Saturday. I think the charger may have gotten in the trash accidentally, in which case it’s gone. I’ll keep looking for it, but doubt if I’ll be able to find it, at this point. The phone itself would cost $749.99 + tax, but I was going to be charged $10/month for it, and planned to pay it off early. 

I guess if I don’t find the charger, I’ll just have to list it on Swappa, and hope that it sells.

The only problem with my S8 is that the charge doesn’t hold as well as it used to, and I either have  to be near an outlet to keep it charged, or carry my power bank with me. I have an inverter for my car, but the cigarette lighter socket broke, so I can’t charge it in there.