Question

REVVL 5G not allowing background tasks

• 17 September 2020
  • 10 replies

Badge

I have been using Android phones forever and recently purchased a REVVL 5G which runs Android 10.  Apps that I run like OneDrive, SMS Backup and Sync, PocketCasts, Tempest Weather, and others need to run in the background to backup photos, SMS, download podcasts overnight, alert on weather from my weather station etc.

What is happening is that if you launch the app the backup processes work, alerts come in etc.  Then eventually while not using the apps their background tasks are being killed by Android.  I have validated that the battery saver is off for these apps since that is what every support site for the apps say to do.  So if you look at this image for SMS Backup and Restore the battery management is off:

But whey the app tries to perform it’s daily backup of the SMS messages:

And vendor of the app has confirmed that the correct battery setting for the App and the System is correct so there is something going on here with the Phone/Android.  These apps worked just fine on my older phone which was a Moto G 7 series.  

What can I do to get the background functionality of these apps to work again?

10 replies

Badge

Well thing gets even worse.  The T-Mobile Visual Voice Mail app is effected by this also.  Received 3 voice mail notifications from Android but nothing from T-Mobil’s visual voice mail.  When I launched the Visual Voicemail App notices appeared in the notification area.

Please can someone address this or at least acknowledge that there is a fix in the works for this phones version of Android killing background threads?

I'm having the same problem with the Life 360 app.

I have all of the settings set up in order to not disable anything in the background for this app specifically and yet still kills the app and it stopped receiving notifications it also stops tracking locations after a while I don't know how to stop this from taking place. Did you ever find out a fix to this application background killing feature?

I am having the exact same issue with new REVVL 5G except the app giving me the most trouble is alarm clock for which background processes seem to be killed overnight...battery manager is off...anybody find a solution to this?

Badge

Other than a support call where they suggest that I factory reset the phone there has been nothing to address these issues. Even my Outlook calendar events don’t notify until I unlock the screen.  Who ever setup the application restrictions on this phone should be fired.

I have the same problem with the revvl 5. Phone is junk and kills everything. I will never buy a T-Mobile phone again. I no longer trust TMobile. Hardware is great, software is incompetent. I yelled at the local T-Mobile to refund this phone and they wouldn't take it back. I'm calling the bank and reversing the charge. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

These are value devices that don’t have a lot of resources to keep apps open in the background.  It needs to maintain the basics of what it does all of the time, plus an app or two that the user has open.  

The task scheduling for SMS Back-Up shouldn’t be an issue though.  I have seen that eror before on high end devices.  I’m just not sure what I did to get it to go away, but tap on that error so it can tell you what needs to be enabled in the permissions.  It is probably just a setting with the app to make sure it can allow itself to launch.  In mine, it has every permission except location.  Call Logs, Contacts, Phone, SMS, and Storage.  

Badge

These are value devices that don’t have a lot of resources to keep apps open in the background.  It needs to maintain the basics of what it does all of the time, plus an app or two that the user has open.  

The task scheduling for SMS Back-Up shouldn’t be an issue though.  I have seen that eror before on high end devices.  I’m just not sure what I did to get it to go away, but tap on that error so it can tell you what needs to be enabled in the permissions.  It is probably just a setting with the app to make sure it can allow itself to launch.  In mine, it has every permission except location.  Call Logs, Contacts, Phone, SMS, and Storage.  

6 GB of RAM and lots of storage isn’t a “value” device the REVVL 5G was low tier “premium”.  I have taken all the suggestions from the SMS Backup and Restore team and they also looked at the logs and they came to the same conclusion that the phone is preventing the scheduled backup. 

We did a test for immediately scheduling and went through the diagnostics and the event was scheduled.  Within 24 hours after the event gets prevented.  Every battery saving setting is turned off Smart Manager is disabled for monitoring and controlling starting apps, and from battery management.  The OS setting for the APP(S) that needs to run in the backup are set to “not optimized”.  Sorry to say but more is going on.  

One comment I received from a developer of another app was that Google hasn’t been very transparent in Android 10 on what can run in the background and what cannot.  There are OS tuning that each OEM can do to change the algorithms such as how often the app needs to be used before it’s granted background access. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Most of my devices run Android 10 currently.  I have that same app on each device and it runs fine.  Like I said.  I have seen that before but it has been quite some time since I was able to figure that out and because I haven’t had that issue since.  I don’t remember what the solution is.  I can agree to disagree about your device being a value device.  6GB of RAM in my opinion is pretty much nothing and even 8GB is not enough for those of us who like to multi-talk with the bloated apps of today.  Perhaps T-Mobile includes some sort of custom scheduler that runs to kill off things that sit in memory too long.  

Well the phone's killing my security system apps that I use for my home so I don't get notified when my cameras are detecting movement properly it's killing my life 360 app that I use to monitor my family's safety and locations when they're driving. Crash detection doesn't work, because it's not monitoring them while they're moving because it's being killed in the background. The phone seems like a nice phone, but under no circumstances should it do things that I have set it to not do. Let's hope somebody from T-Mobile actually reads this and can help us with something that's wrong, because I'm ready to throw this phone at the face of the guy that told me it's an upgrade from the LG G7. I have never had half these problems with the LG G7 so yeah I'm a little pissed. That my safety and security apps don't work because the phone does what it wants when it wants. Customer support for these apps and troubleshooting the apps everything should be set the way it's supposed to be set to work properly in the background and for me to be notified properly. However after about a half an hour to an hour from when I last use the apps I stopped receiving notifications from them! 

I had the same problem with my email app. I am using Spark on my iPhone, Mac, and Revvl 5G. The one on my REVVL did not show me the notifications until I found that the “Auto-Start” in the “Smart Manager” app prevents Spark to be run at startup and in the background. I turned the auto start on manually for Spark and Bitdefender and the problem is solved after that.