Question

Revvl V+ 5G is randomly deleting contacts

• 18 November 2021
  • 26 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Have had my new Revvl V+ 5G phone for about 2 months now, and for the most part, it is GREAT! However, every once in a while, I’ll notice some of my contacts go missing. (I first noticed when the text messages from my husband stopped showing his name and just the phone #. It then happened for some of my co-workers, a couple of friends, etc.) And it isn’t a one-time occurrence, this is randomly happening every week or two. Any thoughts as to why, or how to correct? Thanks!

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

you can try booting the phone into safe mode and running it for a week or so to see if it still happens or not..if it doesnt then the issue is more than likely being caused by an app you have downloaded..if it still happens even while in safe mode then you might opt to perform a factory reset on the phone and then set it all back up to see if it clears the problem. the phone is fully up to date update wise correct?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks so much for this info. I hadn’t even thought about apps affecting data on my phone, such as contacts. The only apps I’ve downloaded in the last couple of months have been travel related (airlines, hotel and rental car apps), so that is disappointing if true. I’ll definitely give the safe-mode a try. I appreciate the suggestion!

I am having the same issue with revvl v 5g deleting contacts and also random text msgs is anyone else having this problem and how can it be fixed. No new apps have been downloaded and its all up to date. 

There's a Feb 5 system update if you haven't already downloaded it.  When I first did I lost access to my microSD data formatted as additional phone memory.  I appear to have lost at least one contact in the past few months but it is unclear how...

Same thing with me only after getting this phone. It also randomly sends my gps location in texts to people and I have the settings turned off.

If nobody has a fix for this I'm trading phone in for a Samsung. This Revvl is a horrible. Lost numbers now of people across the country that I have no idea how to contact now.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

just a FYI if your contacts are backed up on your google account you can retrieve them from there.

Userlevel 1

The same thing is happening with TMobile Revvl V+ 5G. It is deleting contacts of mine - which are also being deleted in my Google account. I've had certain contacts repeatedly deleted where I create a new contact and they disappear again! I've noticed it is usually contacts I contact more recently. I haven't noticed older contacts. Several contacts deleted are ones I'm texting with in addition to calling.

There is something wrong with this phone's operating system software or with sync? Is it a virus?

This is very upsetting as it is deleting them from my Google Contacts as well - I don't have them written down.

Userlevel 1

just a FYI if your contacts are backed up on your google account you can retrieve them from there.

It's deleting them from Google Contacts as well

I noticed this happening to me and my wife several months back and was not sure what was happening. My wife has the same phone and was having the same problem.  It was not until an emergency arose that I started to dig deeper into the issue. I actually had to call my wife to have her call someone else to have the individual I needed to reach call me. This was total nonsense. As a Realtor the phone and the contacts in the phone are critical to communicate with clients in a timely manner. This has more than likely cost me untold thousands of dollars in lost revenue. T-Mobile is not going to take the phones back and wanted to charge me to switch to another phone. THEY WANTED ME TO PAY BECAUSE THEY SOLD ME A SUBSTANDARD PRODUCT WITH KNOWN ISSUES. What does that tell you about their moral compass or their care for customer satisfaction? I don’t do business with people or companies that I can’t trust. The next battle will be the one where they want me to pay off the unpaid portion of the phone price for a deficient phone that has caused me to lose business and clients. I will post what happens in the soon.  Next step is the Better Business Bureau to see if they have any recommendations of federal entities that may be able to help.

I am having the same issue. So is my husband. we have the same Revvl 5+ phone by tmobile. It is definitely related to those we are texting with and it just randomly deletes their name then the whole contact. 

What has TMobile figured out since this is clearly an ongoing issue? 

They believe that some third party software is causing the issue. One tech mentioned Facebook as a potential problem. I do not use Facebook but my wife does.  I have several third party software programs on my phone for working in real estate and need all such applications for my job to make money. They wanted me to use my phone is safe mode to see if the problem continued. This would disable my apps I need for work. What really made me angry is that they know about this issue and they continue to sell the product to people. When a person is relying on the phone as a tool to make money and put food on the table and the phone (tool) has a problem and half the people at T-Mobile are in denial as to the severity of the issue it is time to move on. 

I understand the pain it can create when you need to contact someone in a hurry and the contact is no longer there.

You can save the recent losses!

Google creates a backup up to 30 days, so you can retrieve contacts even when they are deleted in Google.  My Revvl has also been deleting my contacts, so I go into Google periodically, export all my contacts to a .CSV file on my computer, and then have Google “restore” my contacts to the state it was in 30 days previously.  I then export all the contacts again with a different file name and compare the two files to find which contacts are different.  I am finding that I lose about 25 contacts or so every 30 days on my Revvl (some rarely contacted, some frequently - can’t figure out how it chooses who to get rid of), but I only add about 2 in those 30 days, so I just recreate the few new ones.  I then export one more time to have a full list backed up on my computer.  It’s annoying and takes time, but at least I know I have all my contacts that were left since 30 days before I first realized the problem existed (back in May).

I have had the same problem as all of the above. I am tired of trying everything and no one at the T-Mobile stores or help line being able to help.

I am going to dish out some cash and get a Samsung.

Same issue with missing contacts from my phone and Google account. I have spoken with T-Mobile multiple times and they deny there is an issue. I have been told a supervisor will call me back twice and have never received a call. The overly polite call center is a waste of time and I am starting to feel TMobile is a waste of money. I have also been with T-Mobile over 20 years but that doesn't matter to them.

Thank you 

We are having the same issue. I have been a loyal customer for over 8 years, and have liked working with the company. I think it is time to find a different provider. Today I have been on the phone for nearly 2 hours seeking a remedy that doesn’t cost me more money than I am already paying. Twice in the past I have spent a couple hours trying to figure things out. I am beyond unsatisfied.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

wanted to point this one out to everyone else in here..if its also deleting your contact info from your Google back up then its pretty safe to say its not the phone..might opt to contact Google themselves seeing as how you must sign into Google to even edit your contacts..

Userlevel 1

This is an ongoing situation. I was given this phone “for free” through bill credits to switch to T-Mobile. This phone is being given away - a hint - that T-Mobile knows about the issue with this phone in particular. I replaced the phone after purchasing a warranty plan. And the new phone is doing the same thing - deleting my contacts - including on Google. I suspect it is some sort of program conflict or a sync issue.

Because the phone plan and “free” phone, I had recommended it to a friend as well as my boyfriend and they too are having their contacts deleted.

T-Mobile knows about this and I suspect someone decided to use this as a marketing ploy to get people to switch to T-Mobile by giving away a free (faulty) phone to switch. To have your contacts deleted on your phone AND in your Google Account is just totally not OK. I believe they have legal liability connected to this matter. I wonder when they are going to resolve this issue? Do we need to start a class-action lawsuit?

If I buy another phone, I’m pretty sure I will owe the remaining balance for this “free” (faulty) phone.

Not cool T-Mobile!

Have the same issue.  In my Google account I checked the trash folder and there were the deleted contacts and each of them said “Deleted on Wingtech - TMAF035G”.

I think Wingtech is part of the operating system with the Qualcom chip that the phone comes with it.  Probably a bug in the code that neither Tmobile nor Qualcom bothers to fix.

There is an option to Recover the contact when clicking on it.

Userlevel 1

You can save the recent losses!

Google creates a backup up to 30 days, so you can retrieve contacts even when they are deleted in Google.  My Revvl has also been deleting my contacts, so I go into Google periodically, export all my contacts to a .CSV file on my computer, and then have Google “restore” my contacts to the state it was in 30 days previously.  I then export all the contacts again with a different file name and compare the two files to find which contacts are different.  I am finding that I lose about 25 contacts or so every 30 days on my Revvl (some rarely contacted, some frequently - can’t figure out how it chooses who to get rid of), but I only add about 2 in those 30 days, so I just recreate the few new ones.  I then export one more time to have a full list backed up on my computer.  It’s annoying and takes time, but at least I know I have all my contacts that were left since 30 days before I first realized the problem existed (back in May).

That is a good point, but some of my contacts were deleted more than 30 days prior. By the time I discover the contact is gone, I can’t do this. T-Mobile hasn’t fixed the issue and my warranty will only give me the exact junk phone. I’ve had two of these and both deleted contacts. There are other issues such as texts not sending - have to restart the phone to fix the bux, apps don’t work - such as Alexa just freezes and does nothing. If I buy another phone, T-Mobile will make me pay the remainng months even though this was a “free phone”. Sucks!!

Userlevel 1

That is a good point, but some of my contacts were deleted more than 30 days prior. By the time I discover the contact is gone, I can’t do this. T-Mobile hasn’t fixed the issue and my warranty will only give me the exact junk phone. I’ve had two of these and both deleted contacts. There are other issues such as texts not sending - have to restart the phone to fix the bux, apps don’t work - such as Alexa just freezes and does nothing. If I buy another phone, T-Mobile will make me pay the remainng months even though this was a “free phone”. Sucks!!

For those texts not sending if it is RCS text I disabled RCS in the conversation and then it send them as SMS and it was fine after that.  But yes it was frustrating, there are some glitches on this phone but it’s free. 

For the contacts deleting I went into a Tmobile store and she did something with the contacts synchronized them and hasn’t delete them in the last week.  But she also said if this doesn’t work then I don’t know what’s wrong.  It’s worth the try maybe one of the employees knows how to fix it.

I noticed this happening to me and my wife several months back and was not sure what was happening. My wife has the same phone and was having the same problem.  It was not until an emergency arose that I started to dig deeper into the issue. I actually had to call my wife to have her call someone else to have the individual I needed to reach call me. This was total nonsense. As a Realtor the phone and the contacts in the phone are critical to communicate with clients in a timely manner. This has more than likely cost me untold thousands of dollars in lost revenue. T-Mobile is not going to take the phones back and wanted to charge me to switch to another phone. THEY WANTED ME TO PAY BECAUSE THEY SOLD ME A SUBSTANDARD PRODUCT WITH KNOWN ISSUES. What does that tell you about their moral compass or their care for customer satisfaction? I don’t do business with people or companies that I can’t trust. The next battle will be the one where they want me to pay off the unpaid portion of the phone price for a deficient phone that has caused me to lose business and clients. I will post what happens in the soon.  Next step is the Better Business Bureau to see if they have any recommendations of federal entities that may be able to help.

I too have had the disappearing contacts issue. It occurs randomly, new contacts and old contacts. The old contacts I don’t know until I happen to need to call one. I finally changed my default SMS from the crappy Messaging app, provided with the phone, to FB Messenger, which was already on my phone. That seemed to reduce the amount of times I was losing contacts. I am also now seeing other other issues mentioned in this reply, where I can’t even get to my contacts, it just spins. I have to restart my phone once or twice a day. This started happening after the upgrade to Android 12. I am sick of this phone and will never buy another T-Mobile phone. I guess as they say, you get what you pay for. That’s what I get for going for the free phone.