Question

S20 5G errors and no service after OTA update this weekend

Show first post

124 replies

Userlevel 1

@PostNine I installed what I needed for work on Thursday, and went all weekend without installing anything else for days and was fine.  It was some form of an update done over Sunday/Monday yeah.  I uninstalled all apps I could clear the cache of both play services, phone app, and wipe cache partition, but nothing changed.

I did another factory reset and it didn’t last as long before it started again, so not sure.  Didn’t do the play store clearing though.

@PostNine I installed what I needed for work on Thursday, and went all weekend without installing anything else for days and was fine.  It was some form of an update done over Sunday/Monday yeah.  I uninstalled all apps I could clear the cache of both play services, phone app, and wipe cache partition, but nothing changed.

I did another factory reset and it didn’t last as long before it started again, so not sure.  Didn’t do the play store clearing though.

wow.. so are you getting the “com.android.phone keeps stopping” OR “MCM Client isn’t responding” pop up?

Same problem here. It is terrible you pay a lot of koney for a phone and the service for this. Especially in the current situation, I use my phone for everything. What a shame. I have a Samsung S20 and I have had all the issues listed in the above responses and tried many things to fix it with no luck.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Just an update - everything seems to be working fine at this point.  To recap, I cleared cache and data of 3 apps (Phone, Sim Toolkit, Play Store), cleared cache partition, then factory reset.  I’m not certain if that was the solution, or if those steps merely coincided with them fixing the OTA update, but that’s the last process I completed before it began working again.

So thankfully, that refurb can go right back into inventory for someone who really needs it.

My S20 is doing the same thing as well a clear cache and factory reset are only temp fixes for a day or 2 at most. I have also been given a replacement phone and it started the exact same thing. This is so annoying I keep factory resetting it just to have a working phone but that’s not a real option for me anyone had any luck with out a factory reset or finding the app causing the crash?

Just an update - everything seems to be working fine at this point.  To recap, I cleared cache and data of 3 apps (Phone, Sim Toolkit, Play Store), cleared cache partition, then factory reset.  I’m not certain if that was the solution, or if those steps merely coincided with them fixing the OTA update, but that’s the last process I completed before it began working again.

So thankfully, that refurb can go right back into inventory for someone who really needs it.

I tried the same thing except I only did a clear cache not a factory rest no dice… but a factory reset will fix it either way for a day maybe 2 if your lucky

Hello, i have a S20 and have this same issue after the last update.  Factory reset clears it for a few days but phone app starts crashing again.  On reddit someone mentioned to download google dialer and make it default so the phone wont use the samsung dialer.  I did this yesterday, will see if that solves the issue.  I am in waiting mode now to see if the issue pops back up over the next few days.  So far the google dialer is working good, time will tell.

Exact same error on S10+: "com.android.phone keeps stopping" after updating to one ui 2.5.

I noticed after factory resetting my phone number my imei appears but when the error starts happening I start to receive messages from Samsung stating I need to login to continue using services. I also noticed that my phone number and imei are blank.

I've factory reset phone 2x now. First before taking OTA to have a free install for 2.5, let Samsung and Google restore backup. 2nd Factory reset I wiped cache, reset, did not restore my apps and previous settings, manually reinstall apps. Same errors start within 24 hrs.

The only other thing I recall changing after the first reset was that I finally accepted Samsung persistent request to move two two step verification which I accepted. Interesting is when the error starts to happen Samsung then tries to make me login to verify my account on the device.  I assume it's because my phone number and imei get wiped and dissappear when the problem happens.

Also, not able to make calls and not able to send texts. Phone is useless.

This is a major bug with high severity that needs to be acknowledged by Samsung and t-mobile on behalf of their subscribers. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hello, i have a S20 and have this same issue after the last update.  Factory reset clears it for a few days but phone app starts crashing again.  On reddit someone mentioned to download google dialer and make it default so the phone wont use the samsung dialer.  I did this yesterday, will see if that solves the issue.  I am in waiting mode now to see if the issue pops back up over the next few days.  So far the google dialer is working good, time will tell.

i can say its being investigated along with a pluthra of other issues that have sprung up over the last few months..oddly enough the dialler issue is only affecting the S20 on the TMO side for whatever reason even though the Sprint one receives the same update. rumour was a update was supposed to get pushed out the 16th ish to fix a lot of these issues however said update was breaking other things..so that 16th push is more than likely getting pushed back a bit.

I bought my wife a new phone new sim card and it still proceeds to do the same error.

Badge

I’m in the same boat as everyone else.  In addition to everything mentioned so far, I also have a couple other issues that started the same time as those mentioned thus far.  My battery goes from 100% to 0% in about 5 or 6 hours.  I am not using the phone at all, the display is off as are all of the radios.

Also, about every 10 taps or so the phone will freeze for a couple seconds before it recognizes that last tap.

Same issue, battery drain and all. Phone app crashing, connection issues, etc. I have a sprint s20 5g though on tmobile network

Userlevel 1

So here is where I found the difference and it not only made a difference so far, but also made it so some of the extras that seemed to install when I got the phone or factory reset before.  So far going on 5th day which is the longest stretch, usually never made it past 2.5 days without it repeating same issue.

Steps:

1. Clear Cache of Phone and Play Store
  2. Make sure all accounts are logged out
  3. Factory Reset the phone, but when it goes to start the Phone Setup, hold power and shut the phone off
  4. REMOVE the Sim card
  5. Power on into boot screen (Volume Up and Power button) and wipe partition cache
  6. Reboot with SIM card still out and walk through the setup as normal BUT do not install any side apps when asked just normal already included.
  7. Once the phone is booted into normal, do not install anything new but update the apps with the play store.
  8. Power down, install SIM and then reboot the phone up.  Give it a few hours then feel free to go at it. 

Personally, I installed one app every 2 hours and only installed my work ones I needed the first day.  So far I’m almost back to normal and the only apps I didn’t install were my social media ones and I’ve been good.

I have a replacement waiting for me but I did this when the tech told me they had no solution, but I saw someone mention the sim removal.  Carried Hub is installed and no issues.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I am glad that something worked out, still odd that it would act up again, after installing apps if a full reset was done.

carrier hub is something you need to turn off, but you cannot. turn off it’s notification, make sure data is NOT being used in the back ground at all times and of course that it does not run on top of other apps. will run but wont do anything anymore. I have mine set this way, since I use the sprint lg v40, on tmobile.

all it did was be a pain in the a.. remember even if you are still with sprint, you have to set the phone manually as close as possible to tmobile side. you will be limited, now, Unless you crossover the phone with another software or root and custom rom the phone. assuming you are still having this issue. :]

oh, takes a few minutes, but it’s worth it. once you are done and happy, go to your apps and of course make sure the system ones are showing. disable any apps you do not need. any apps you do use, set it the way you like it.

example I have tmobile installed, but I have notifications off, data off, etc. only when i need it, it works, but not running in the background. now when you have lots of apps all doing this, something can get screwy, but doing it the way I like it. phone is always smooth. :]

Good morning,

Having the same issues here. No call, text, internet. Semi responsive phone and battery drain. Called TMobile techs multiple times and all I’m getting is a personal guarantee for a callback. They’re asking me to change the SIM now. Seeing the early posts here, I’m hesitant about the change as it might not fix the issue.

They were able to forward my phone to my office number so i can at least get calls. No way to check or forward text messages, even though i need it to login to almost all 2FA services, including samsung.com

Userlevel 1

So here is where I found the difference and it not only made a difference so far, but also made it so some of the extras that seemed to install when I got the phone or factory reset before.  So far going on 5th day which is the longest stretch, usually never made it past 2.5 days without it repeating same issue.

Steps:

3. Factory Reset the phone, but when it goes to start the Phone Setup, hold power and shut the phone off
  4. REMOVE the Sim card
  5. Power on into boot screen (Volume Up and Power button) and wipe partition cache
  6. Reboot with SIM card still out and walk through the setup as normal BUT do not install any side apps when asked just normal already included.
  7. Once the phone is booted into normal, do not install anything new but update the apps with the play store.
  8. Power down, install SIM and then reboot the phone up.  Give it a few hours then feel free to go at it. 

Personally, I installed one app every 2 hours and only installed my work ones I needed the first day.  So far I’m almost back to normal and the only apps I didn’t install were my social media ones and I’ve been good.

I have a replacement waiting for me but I did this when the tech told me they had no solution, but I saw someone mention the sim removal.  Carried Hub is installed and no issues.

SO, the update to this is once again it is Monday Morning that caused something.  Last time it was the same thing, I went from Friday to Monday.  This time I went from tuesday/wed until Monday.  Not sure why, but i’ll have to go see about that replacement.

Steps:

4. REMOVE the Sim card

SO, the update to this is once again it is Monday Morning that caused something.  Last time it was the same thing, I went from Friday to Monday.  This time I went from tuesday/wed until Monday.  Not sure why, but i’ll have to go see about that replacement.

I backed up and did a factory reset with Vol Up and boot and it seems to have worked.

Thank you

Just happened to my S20+ an hour or two ago. Now my Note 20 is getting wonky as well. Real bad timing for me....

My new S20 5G received an OTA update this weekend and now I keep getting errors saying “com.android.phone keeps stopping” and I cannot send or receive calls or texts.  

I called Support, they walked me through clearing cache and data of the Phone app as well as SIM Toolkit - neither worked.  We finally performed a factory reset after I backed some stuff up, and that fixes it for about 15 minutes until it starts automatically installing system/carrier apps - then the phone/messages stop and that same error reappears every 30 seconds.

A new app also keeps sending a notification about “MCM Client requests are processing”, but the app is Carrier Hub which is a Sprint app - what is going on at T-Mobile?  I know they merged with Sprint but why is my T-Mobile phone getting Sprint system apps?  And unless I’m missing something, it broke my new phone!

Support finally said they’d replace it with a refurb, but this phone is new and I don’t want a refurbished phone.  Plus, I fully expect the same errors to happen with the replacement, because this one worked fine until that OTA update - and even works fine after a factory reset until it starts automatically downloading system apps from the network.  I’ve been a customer for 16 years and we have 4 lines with T-Mobile, but that may be about to end.

Help!

Went to the T-Mobile store. Only sure workaround to allow you to use your phone is to put it in Safe Mode.

Once it boots up in Safe Mode, you will need to turn off Airplane Mode. You can start receiving/sending texts and calls. Really annoying as every Samsung phone I have had over the years it never fails as soon as they push a carrier update it jacks the phone every time!

T-Mobile store couldn't fix my S20+. The guy tried multiple things. I had my old S9+ and we put my SIM card in that. Called TMO tech support and the CS rep had not heard about the prob and transferred me to tech support. The tech I got hadn't heard about the problem but put me on hold and spoke with a couple of other tech reps who had but knew of no fix. She suggested going to a Samsung store...drove 20 mins to a sign that said no phone repairs and knew of no place nearby that did. Suggested I contact TMO-not what I wanted to hear. Going to try to contact Samsung USA and see if they have any suggestions beyond using my S20+ as an expensive paperweight.

Samsung seems to have ended here…

Yes it was indicated on your previous message, but I'm trying to find out if you purchase a T-mobile unlocked version or Sprint network, there are choices on Samsung website, did you select T-mobile?

2:15 PM

It's a TMO phone..not unlocked not Sprint.

2:16 PM

With the latest TMO sim.

2:17 PM

My apologies for the inconvenience, I wanted to provide the best knowledge and provide best assistance I ever could, However, I've run out of resources, I'm going to turn over this to my colleague who will assist you even further, please stay on the line, While I'm transferring this chat, I'm unable to reply, other experts will be here in just a moment,

2:17 PM

Thanks.

2:30 PM

Still there?

Userlevel 2

I called TMO yesterday, the level 1 support transferred me to tech support right away after I explained the issue and troubleshooting I had already done. Tech was not aware of the issue, but said they would bring it up in their next tech meeting that they have daily.

The update that we all did has been paused, which means someone on the TMO knows it’s breaking phones. It is only Samsung phones as well from what I have seen that support 5G. Honestly this will most likely not be fixed until the next software update comes out within the next two weeks(hopefully). If you need to call/text, just put the phone in safe mode. I have to use 2FA for work so it’s annoying having to reboot just to use the apps then back to safe mode. Will be much more hesitant on future updates and will probably wait at least a month prior to installing.

The October patches have been released a few days ago and unlocked devices got the update already, so it’s just a matter of TMO working on it to get them out to us. Not sure if the issues caused in the patch that messed the phones up to begin with will delay the new update either. Tech said they do not have an ETA on a newer software update. Last few months they have been between the 20th-26th, so I would expect no difference with a new software update.

Just happened to my S20+ an hour or two ago. Now my Note 20 is getting wonky as well. Real bad timing for me....

Sorry to hear that.

Backup your data on the SD card using the built in backup feature in Settings > accounts & backup

I’d move all the data to SD card and take out the card before resetting.

Use this to hard reset: https://thedroidguy.com/hard-reset-galaxy-s20-1123737

It worked for me. Painful, but better than having no service.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hey everyone!

My apologies you’ve been having issue with the update, but I do see this is something we’re working with the manufacture to get resolved. There are a few steps that can be taken on our end and a ticket that we can file. Has anyone gotten in touch with our Tech team to get a Trouble Ticket filed?

Userlevel 2

Hey everyone!

My apologies you’ve been having issue with the update, but I do see this is something we’re working with the manufacture to get resolved. There are a few steps that can be taken on our end and a ticket that we can file. Has anyone gotten in touch with our Tech team to get a Trouble Ticket filed?

I called twice and was told both times that all I can do is pretty much wait and that there was nothing the support people I talked to could do since it was between TMO and Samsung that had to work together to get this fixed. No ticket number was mentioned for future reference in both calls or the option to file one either.