Question

S20 5G errors and no service after OTA update this weekend

Show first post

175 replies

Userlevel 1

Same issue started this morning on my S20+.  Rebooting into Safe Mode allows me to make calls and receive/send texts.  Hopefully this will get resolved soon!

i have a Note 10 & have been trouble shooting this for hours, and I’ve found it's definitely an issue with the new update and the SIM cards. If I take my SIM card out, it stops, but put it back in, and non-stop errors. I tried all the cache-clearing advice i found online for every single app, with no success. I think it's a software bug in the new update that happened last week with the sim card. If anyone out there notices the same thing let me know. Going to try getting a new SIM from Tmobile to see if that fixes it cuz mine's almost exactly 1 year old. 

Luckily I still have my LG V20 that I have to use because I can’t even make a phone call on my Note 10.  Tons of forums out there with this exact same problem, and everyone is saying same thing I’m thinking right now “I have a $1K brick” - unbelievable this update wasn’t tested more thoroughly before releasing and disabling what’s probably thousands of phones. 

Userlevel 1

Hi.. I am a note 10 plus owner and started having the same problem (com.android.phone keeps stopping) starting this morning. I recall that the first thing I did that triggered this problem was to reply to a regular text. 

I have tried several steps - clearing data, cache for play store and phone app, wiping cache partition and nothing helped. Turned on the safe mode to make sure battery doesn't drain to 0% .. 

I am not looking to factory reset as many have reported that this doesn't really solve the problem.

This issue needs to be immediately prioritized by t-mobile/ samsung.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@olycius have you tried switching to 4G/LTE on your device to see if the services work better?

Userlevel 2

@olycius have you tried switching to 4G/LTE on your device to see if the services work better?

I’ve tried all network modes, even just 2G. They all do the same thing.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Okay @olycius thanks for trying. 

Here’s what I’ve gathered for folks with this issue still. We’ve heard of some folks switching the phone over to Safe Mode and have some success. T-Mobile and Samsung are working on a fix for this so we’ll no longer need folks to file Trouble Tickets. We’ve collected enough data for now to help us work on resolving the issue.

I understand this is more than just a tough issue, but I’ll keep folks posted here with what I find out and any updates I get.

Thanks to everyone for jumping in on this thread.

Hey everyone!

My apologies you’ve been having issue with the update, but I do see this is something we’re working with the manufacture to get resolved. There are a few steps that can be taken on our end and a ticket that we can file. Has anyone gotten in touch with our Tech team to get a Trouble Ticket filed?

I was told to contact Samsung. I did and my phone is in for repair right now. Should get it back late today or tomorrow.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hey everyone!

My apologies you’ve been having issue with the update, but I do see this is something we’re working with the manufacture to get resolved. There are a few steps that can be taken on our end and a ticket that we can file. Has anyone gotten in touch with our Tech team to get a Trouble Ticket filed?

I was told to contact Samsung. I did and my phone is in for repair right now. Should get it back late today or tomorrow.

One you get it, just hang on to it. From what I’m gathering, T-Mobile and Samsung are working on the fix together.

Just piggybacking on this thread to echo everything else everyone has said.  I factory reset my phone several days ago and thought the issue was solved, and lo and behold, I guess it caught up with the update because here we are.  This is absolutely ridiculous and unacceptable.  I can’t even get text messages and I’m going to factory reset my phone AGAIN to get it to work for a few days until the issue inevitably reoccurs.  Meanwhile I will be spending an hour driving to a client meeting without a functional device due to this issue, and I can only hope I don’t need it the rest of the day.

T-Mobile: FIX YOUR SYSTEM.  If your update is bricking phones, then RETRACT IT.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Just piggybacking on this thread to echo everything else everyone has said.  I factory reset my phone several days ago and thought the issue was solved, and lo and behold, I guess it caught up with the update because here we are.  This is absolutely ridiculous and unacceptable.  I can’t even get text messages and I’m going to factory reset my phone AGAIN to get it to work for a few days until the issue inevitably reoccurs.

T-Mobile: FIX YOUR SYSTEM.  If your update is bricking phones, then RETRACT IT.

so you read through ALL of the posts in here to echo what everyone else has said but somehow skipped over the post right before yours saying TMO/Samsung are already working on this?

Yes, I did read the entire thread, and I still posted despite the fact that I saw that they are working on it.  Because it literally hit me after the last post.  If a carrier has pushed out an update that bricks phones, and it’s a known issue, then why are they still pushing it out?

Userlevel 1

Okay @olycius thanks for trying. 

Here’s what I’ve gathered for folks with this issue still. We’ve heard of some folks switching the phone over to Safe Mode and have some success. T-Mobile and Samsung are working on a fix for this so we’ll no longer need folks to file Trouble Tickets. We’ve collected enough data for now to help us work on resolving the issue.

I understand this is more than just a tough issue, but I’ll keep folks posted here with what I find out and any updates I get.

Thanks to everyone for jumping in on this thread.

Can I request you to share some rough ETA around this? Are we looking at hours, days or weeks for the patch to arrive? Based on that we can start planning. It is a huge productivity loss for me without any access to my office apps. If we are looking at a timeline of more than 2-3 days, I will start looking for a loaner or backup phone. If it is over a week, I may just hand over my phone to t-mobile.  

Thank you very much for your updates. 

Badge

Another issue that started with the update that I forgot to mention.  I got logged out of my Samsung account.  When trying to log back in, I enter my password and it takes me to the ToC page where I must agree to the terms.  I do.  I then get directed back to the login page.  Rinse, repeat.

Userlevel 2

Yes, I did read the entire thread, and I still posted despite the fact that I saw that they are working on it.  Because it literally hit me after the last post.  If a carrier has pushed out an update that bricks phones, and it’s a known issue, then why are they still pushing it out?

If you did read the entire thread, you would have seen I mentioned this update has been paused since TMO is aware of this issue. Anyone who tries to update will not receive this update that broke phones for those that did. It was paused a few days after release.

@Soumyaudit My best guess is an update/fix won’t be out for at least another week IF it even has been fixed, but until we get another update that’s what I am sticking to. I am going based off of their update cycle timeline, and it does not seem like this is a priority to get it out asap as this issue has been known for over 10 days.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

If you did read the entire thread, you would have seen I mentioned this update has been paused since TMO is aware of this issue. Anyone who tries to update will not receive this update that broke phones for those that did. It was paused a few days after release.

@Soumyaudit My best guess is an update/fix won’t be out for at least another week IF it even has been fixed, but until we get another update that’s what I am sticking to. I am going based off of their update cycle timeline, and it does not seem like this is a priority to get it out asap as this issue has been known for weeks.

*touches tip of nose and points*

on the money…

the only time a carrier can say anything about a update creating a problem is once the manufacturer says it is..at that point the carrier running into it can mention it and that its being investigated.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Great question @Soumyaudit .

I don’t have a rough timeframe I can give right now. I’ll check often and keep everyone updated when I find things out.

Userlevel 1

Great question @Soumyaudit .

I don’t have a rough timeframe I can give right now. I’ll check often and keep everyone updated when I find things out.

Sure and fair enough. Thank you. 

Considering that t-mobile has stopped sending the OTA updates, should I consider factory reseting the phone as a work around? I assume that folks who reported issues after a few days of factory resetting, actually got the next OTA update pushed which caused this to issue to re-appear.

If thats the workaround for now, I will try to factory reset and make sure I dont accept any updates until this issue is resolved. Staying in safe mode for weeks may not work out for many. 

@Soumyaudit My best guess is an update/fix won’t be out for at least another week IF it even has been fixed, but until we get another update that’s what I am sticking to. I am going based off of their update cycle timeline, and it does not seem like this is a priority to get it out asap as this issue has been known for over 10 days.

If the update is paused, please do explain why my device was able to download and run the update again after an initial factory reset.  That was the reason for the post.  If it has since been paused, then I consider the issue at least temporarily addressed, but as of approximately 5:00 pm US Eastern on October 14 it was still pushing out, or worse, factory resetting a device merely delays the re-implementation of the update which will inevitably cause it to brick at some later time.  I can only hope the latter is not the case.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

because factory resets dont remove updates? you can FR it 100 times and that update will still be in there..

because factory resets dont remove updates? you can FR it 100 times and that update will still be in there..

Well, that is helpful information and very disappointing.  So for those of us who received the broken update, we are stuck in limbo with a ticking time bomb unless we shell out for another device until the carrier decides to do something about it, and there’s no possible fix?  Just want to make sure I understand what I’m looking at here.  Not all of us are IT wizards and it’s not exactly self-evident that “factory reset” really means “wipe your data but don’t actually remove the carrier updates from the ‘factory’ setting.” 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

said fix needs to come from Samsung.. problem pops up the carriers gather info to fire off to the manufacturer (Samsung in this case) and then they work together to try and figure out why its happening, figure out a fix..test against all of that..then once its all cleared and didnt screw up anything else they get the ok to fire out said fix..

the highlighted part is where the current issue is..the fix was breaking other stuff..

said fix needs to come from Samsung.. problem pops up the carriers gather info to fire off to the manufacturer (Samsung in this case) and then they work together to try and figure out why its happening, figure out a fix..test against all of that..then once its all cleared and didnt screw up anything else they get the ok to fire out said fix..

the highlighted part is where the current issue is..the fix was breaking other stuff..

Right, I’m not asking about who is responsible for the fix.  I’m trying to confirm that our devices are actually irretrievably broken unless and until some combination of manufacturer/carrier manage to get their act together and unbreak it.  Is that really the case?

Userlevel 1

Right, I’m not asking about who is responsible for the fix.  I’m trying to confirm that our devices are actually irretrievably broken unless and until some combination of manufacturer/carrier manage to get their act together and unbreak it.  Is that really the case?

...and if that's the case, while Samsung and t-mobile work through this, can someone lay out workarounds (however bad they may appear). Example:

- Keep factory reseting every 2-4 days

- Remove SIM card (while it also means that you can't use the phone as a phone - to make or receive calls)

- Safe mode 

- Anything else? 

Userlevel 2

Safe mode will allow you to call/text, check email and browse the internet fine. You cannot use 3rd party apps though. If you want to use third party apps, then you can only use your phone on wifi and calls/text will not work so it essentially becomes a tablet. To do that, you need to get Package Disabler and disable Carrier Hub, com.phone.android, and samsung account/push notifications. Doing this will allow you to use your apps, but it will freeze for a second every 10-15 seconds.

It’s annoying, but a workaround. If you need to switch back, be sure to enable the disabled processes before going back to safe mode. You also need to take the phone out of airplane mode when going to safe mode.

Safe mode will allow you to call/text, check email and browse the internet fine. You cannot use 3rd party apps though. If you want to use third party apps, then you can only use your phone on wifi and calls/text will not work so it essentially becomes a tablet. To do that, you need to get Package Disabler and disable Carrier Hub, com.phone.android, and samsung account/push notifications. Doing this will allow you to use your apps, but it will freeze for a second every 10-15 seconds.

It’s annoying, but a workaround. If you need to switch back, be sure to enable the disabled processes before going back to safe mode. You also need to take the phone out of airplane mode when going to safe mode.

So, yes, irretrievably broken for the time being, with no ETA for a fix from the carrier.  Do I have that right?

I think we missed “buy an iPhone and switch carriers” as an option, which is great if you don’t still owe thousands on multiple devices, but for those of us who do, is kind of a kick in the teeth.