Question

S20 5G errors and no service after OTA update this weekend

Show first post

182 replies

@hkp11 yes, you should be getting that update too, I just don’t have a date for when it’ll show up. I’ve been encouraged to tell folks having the issue to use the phone in Safe Mode and keep an eye out for that update.

Thank you Mike! Hopefully this week. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hey @be8 .

I was informed that an update was being sent out to resolve that issue. I’m confident the one you’re talking about is going to help fix this. Are you saying the issue went away before this update was sent? I’m reporting this info to my internal teams, so I want to make sure I’m getting the details right.

Thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@hkp11 yes, you should be getting that update too, I just don’t have a date for when it’ll show up. I’ve been encouraged to tell folks having the issue to use the phone in Safe Mode and keep an eye out for that update.

I have the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G phone.  I am facing the same issue, “com.android.phone has stopped”.  I’ve been battling this issue for over 3 weeks and felt so alone as I worked the issue with Samsung and T-Mobile.  I’m glad to see that I am not the only one facing this issue.

I noticed the issue started on Monday 10/4, after receiving the September 1, 2020 Security Update the previous day.  I've spent many hours on the phone with Samsung and T-Mobile and each company would point the fault to the other.  I have gone as far as sending the phone to Samsung Service Center for repairs.  They returned it stating that there were "No issue found" with the phone.  I've been running the phone in SAFE MODE hoping that the new update will arrive soon.

So ill have to take back what I said earlier. The phone did have a problem as I said BUT

I plugged the phone into the computer to backup my pictures so I could full reset. The Link to Windows from the drop down menu prompted the phone to do a software update. Since then, the issue seems to be resolved.

Userlevel 3
Badge

OP here.  On Monday my phone prompted me to update again but I postponed it as far out as I could - it is now scheduled for tomorrow.  Does anyone know a way to postpone it further?  It’s working fine and I do not want this update.

When I woke up this morning, I started getting the com.android.phone error. I have an S20+, so whatever update they pushed has only broken more phones, as I didn't have this problem before. Although, since I bought this phone a couple weeks ago, the signal has been unreliable, but my wife's S8 still works perfectly. What a waste of $1200

Hey everyone!

Some of you may have noticed this already, but there’s been an update that’s been pushed out to help resolve this issue. We do suggest that folks still having trouble leave the phone in Safe Mode, but be on the lookout for that update.

Thanks!

Hi Mike,

Does this include updates for T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note10+ (we have always been on T-Mobile)?

Thanks

Thank you. It's working so far, so I'm going to try what you suggested if it stops working again

How many carrier hub apps you have? Go to system settings, apps, show system apps and type carrier hub

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hey everyone!

Some of you may have noticed this already, but there’s been an update that’s been pushed out to help resolve this issue. We do suggest that folks still having trouble leave the phone in Safe Mode, but be on the lookout for that update.

Thanks!

Thank you. It's working so far, so I'm going to try what you suggested if it stops working again

How many carrier hub apps you have? Go to system settings, apps, show system apps and type carrier hub

I had the same problem with mine, 2 replacement phones later I was still getting the same problems, I fixed mine, don't listen to the t mobile "experts" they're all clueless they don't know when updates are rolling out.

What you need to do or what I did was flash the latest official samsung firmware for your device, don't worry this doesn't void your warranty, it's official stock firmware straight from Samsung.

It really takes no longer than 15 minutes to do. 

1. Go go to play store and download an app called "phone info sam"

2. Open app and swipe to CSC code where it says active CSC code write it down you'll need it, should be 3 letters. You'll need this to receive OTA updates

3. Head over to https://www.sammobile.com/ and click on firmware. Type in your model number you'll find it in about phone on your device. And type the country code in (CSC) make sure you get the latest firmware…

4. Odin time… 

https://www.xda-developers.com/update-firmware-any-samsung-phone/?amp

5. Good luck. When You've flashed you should only see 1 carrier hub application under system apps.

Had an update this morning. Still no change.

Then I tried something else: So, the notification comes from the app called Carrier Hub.

I went to apps on my phone and search for it.

Looked for the permissions, and of course it had permissions to my phone and location

So I denied the app's permission to those two

It's working now. I made calls, I sent and received messages

Still keeping my fingers crossed.

Still keeping my fingers crossed

So here is where I found the difference and it not only made a difference so far, but also made it so some of the extras that seemed to install when I got the phone or factory reset before.  So far going on 5th day which is the longest stretch, usually never made it past 2.5 days without it repeating same issue.

Steps:

1. Clear Cache of Phone and Play Store
  2. Make sure all accounts are logged out
  3. Factory Reset the phone, but when it goes to start the Phone Setup, hold power and shut the phone off
  4. REMOVE the Sim card
  5. Power on into boot screen (Volume Up and Power button) and wipe partition cache
  6. Reboot with SIM card still out and walk through the setup as normal BUT do not install any side apps when asked just normal already included.
  7. Once the phone is booted into normal, do not install anything new but update the apps with the play store.
  8. Power down, install SIM and then reboot the phone up.  Give it a few hours then feel free to go at it. 

Personally, I installed one app every 2 hours and only installed my work ones I needed the first day.  So far I’m almost back to normal and the only apps I didn’t install were my social media ones and I’ve been good.

I have a replacement waiting for me but I did this when the tech told me they had no solution, but I saw someone mention the sim removal.  Carried Hub is installed and no issues.

It doesn't work.

I did everything you said. 

Factory reset a few times.

I will write a separate post, because I think I fixed it

Badge

We talked with T-Mobile tech and he said that a new update will be available this Friday for Galaxy Note 10+. They said Samsung is working on this issue with the various Samsung devices having this issue.

Awaiting Friday.

That’s good to hear.  Thank you for the update.  I was considering getting another phone and going with another carrier after I found that the last update didn’t fix things for me.

We talked with T-Mobile tech and he said that a new update will be available this Friday for Galaxy Note 10+. They said Samsung is working on this issue with the various Samsung devices having this issue.

Awaiting Friday.

Badge

I just got the October Security update.  It didn’t fix a thing.

FYI I contacted T-mobile on fb message (lol) and here’s what the rep said (highlight mine):

Oh goodness and thank you so much for those details, our team has been engaged and working hard to get updates out for everyone as quickly as we can to get your phone up and running again and expect the roll out to be complete the 23rd to all devices impacted. These past few days have you gotten another update or was it just the one last week so far? ^SidneyNorton

Wish this is more widely announced but better than nothing

Started having this issue last week (Note 10 unlocked) and literally can’t use my phone. Tried everything in this thread except to flash my phone. After reset it’s always fine for a day then start up again. I only download about 10 essential apps. It’s 1 month out of warranty… $1k phone is now a brick. T-mobile needs to give an official update

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Well, my husband has the Galaxy Note 10+ with the same error com.android.phone keeps stopping. The SIM does not work with this He took out the SIM to use wifi calling/text temporarily until we get a fix.  If olycius reply of Android 11 Beta is the solution, here is a link of which devices T-Mobile is working on currently:

https://www.rprna.com/updates/one-ui/t-mobile-android-11-development-samsung-one-ui-3/

T-Mobile get working on this!

I’ve mentioned a new update will most likely not be out for a week or so if they are able to remediate the issue. Another method is to flash the phone to a previous firmware but there is some risk in bricking your phone if you do not know what you are doing. Until then it is a hurry up and wait situation. I flashed my phone back successfully and had it for two days, then moved over to the Android 11 beta and still have not encountered any issues.

awesome job including the risks that could be ran into while attempting any of this...its mind numbing at how many times this info isnt mentioned and people attempt it and come back into whichever site they learned it from to throw blame back at the carrier lol.

Userlevel 2

Well, my husband has the Galaxy Note 10+ with the same error com.android.phone keeps stopping. The SIM does not work with this He took out the SIM to use wifi calling/text temporarily until we get a fix.  If olycius reply of Android 11 Beta is the solution, here is a link of which devices T-Mobile is working on currently:

https://www.rprna.com/updates/one-ui/t-mobile-android-11-development-samsung-one-ui-3/

I’ve mentioned a new update will most likely not be out for a week or so if they are able to remediate the issue. Another method is to flash the phone to a previous firmware but there is some risk in bricking your phone if you do not know what you are doing. Until then it is a hurry up and wait situation. I flashed my phone back successfully and had it for two days, then moved over to the Android 11 beta and still have not encountered any issues.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

The Android 11 Beta is also another route you can take. Been on it for a few days now with no issues. Has October patches as well. To check if you are eligible, go to the Samsung Members App and on the banners at the top there is a OneUI 3.0 Beta banner that will register you. Took mine about 4 hours after registering that the update showed up when checking it manually. 

most that do these Betas know already...but for those that have not tried anything like this..if any issues pop up you do not contact TMO about it..you contact the one doing the Beta..in this case Samsung..its a Beta..so issues are kind of expected.

Userlevel 2

The Android 11 Beta is also another route you can take. Been on it for a few days now with no issues. Has October patches as well. To check if you are eligible, go to the Samsung Members App and on the banners at the top there is a OneUI 3.0 Beta banner that will register you. Took mine about 4 hours after registering that the update showed up when checking it manually.