Question

S20 5G errors and no service after OTA update this weekend

Show first post

175 replies

Userlevel 2

Safe mode will allow you to call/text, check email and browse the internet fine. You cannot use 3rd party apps though. If you want to use third party apps, then you can only use your phone on wifi and calls/text will not work so it essentially becomes a tablet. To do that, you need to get Package Disabler and disable Carrier Hub, com.phone.android, and samsung account/push notifications. Doing this will allow you to use your apps, but it will freeze for a second every 10-15 seconds.

It’s annoying, but a workaround. If you need to switch back, be sure to enable the disabled processes before going back to safe mode. You also need to take the phone out of airplane mode when going to safe mode.

So, yes, irretrievably broken for the time being, with no ETA for a fix from the carrier.  Do I have that right?

I think we missed “buy an iPhone and switch carriers” as an option, which is great if you don’t still owe thousands on multiple devices, but for those of us who do, is kind of a kick in the teeth.

That is correct, no ETA either. like I mentioned before it will probably be 1-2 weeks for a fix hopefully sooner. 

EIP is just a two year contract without calling it a contract, you are free to leave anytime but you gotta fork up the rest of the money owed to do so in most cases people do not have the money to do it so they have to wait the two years or close to the end to afford it. Most “Free” phone offers are bill credits for 24 months. I will be moving over to an unlocked device for my next phone to avoid that and be able to move freely.

Safe mode will allow you to call/text, check email and browse the internet fine. You cannot use 3rd party apps though. If you want to use third party apps, then you can only use your phone on wifi and calls/text will not work so it essentially becomes a tablet. To do that, you need to get Package Disabler and disable Carrier Hub, com.phone.android, and samsung account/push notifications. Doing this will allow you to use your apps, but it will freeze for a second every 10-15 seconds.

It’s annoying, but a workaround. If you need to switch back, be sure to enable the disabled processes before going back to safe mode. You also need to take the phone out of airplane mode when going to safe mode.

So, yes, irretrievably broken for the time being, with no ETA for a fix from the carrier.  Do I have that right?

I think we missed “buy an iPhone and switch carriers” as an option, which is great if you don’t still owe thousands on multiple devices, but for those of us who do, is kind of a kick in the teeth.

That is correct, no ETA either. like I mentioned before it will probably be 1-2 weeks for a fix hopefully sooner. 

EIP is just a two year contract without calling it a contract, you are free to leave anytime but you gotta fork up the rest of the money owed to do so in most cases people do not have the money to do it so they have to wait the two years or close to the end to afford it. Most “Free” phone offers are bill credits for 24 months. I will be moving over to an unlocked device for my next phone to avoid that and be able to move freely.

EIP is most assuredly a contract, it’s just a variance on the mechanics as to how you pay and whether you are free to move carriers.  You’re free to move your number, but you’re still paying for the device for the term of the agreement.  My agreement is with Samsung so I can potentially go to them for recourse.  If I have to go that route I will, but it doesn’t solve for the 9,000 calls I will have to figure out how to deal with while my device is being swapped out.  For now I’ll just rinse, wash and repeat with “factory” non-resets and hope for a solution.

But we’re solidly off-topic now.  I do appreciate the clarifications and apologize for apparently offending the thread by asking in the first place.

Userlevel 1

Can we or should we not use odin to flash to a stable stock firmware available online? I don't think that should impact our contract with t-mobile. 

We should be able to goto a previous stable version ourselves.. I understand that it can brick your phone if you choose wrong rom, version etc but its already a brick..

Userlevel 2

Can we or should we not odin to flash to a stable stock firmware available online? I don't think that should impact our contract with t-mobile. 

We should be able to goto a previous stable version ourself. I understand that it can brick your phone if you choose wrong rom, version etc but its already a brick..

You might be able to, I would check on XDA forums to get confirmation. I have not used Odin since the S7. If not much has changed, it should be a possible route to take.

In this same boat and looking for a cheapish S5 or something to use temporarily.  Just got my S20+ 28 days ago and switched from ATT to T-Mobile.  Yay!!!  Not!   

Did this issue wipe out anyone else’s homescreen icons?  All my folders and icons are gone on the home screen.  I can only swipe up and then scroll my apps.  So frustrating. 

Badge

Did this issue wipe out anyone else’s homescreen icons?  All my folders and icons are gone on the home screen.  I can only swipe up and then scroll my apps.  So frustrating. 

Home screen OK here.  In case you didn’t read the whole thread, no one else reported home screen issues.

In this same boat and looking for a cheapish S5 or something to use temporarily.  Just got my S20+ 28 days ago and switched from ATT to T-Mobile.  Yay!!!  Not!   

So my main page stayed but my other pages lost all icons and widgets

This sucks. I was able to restore my home screen icons/folders from a backup. I don’t know if this disappearing act was related to the issue or not.  Still dead as far as phone/text unless I switch to Safe Mode and wifi...but then no apps.  I get all the errors referenced by OP.  :(  Guess I’ll try the reset to see if it buys a few days.  

This has happened to me and after a second factory reset (details below), I have not received the "com.android.phone keeps stopping" message in a few days now.

Background: I received an update around 10/10-10/11 and Monday I started getting "com.android.phone keeps stopping". Can't call or text. Seems that the sim card is not recognized. Tried another and same problem. Phone settings show "unknown" for my phone number. On wifi I can call or text with 3rd party apps. I have cleared data and cache for Phone app. Also cleared cache partition. Finally factory reset Monday night. By 6pm Tuesday it happened again. I have installed very few apps since my factory reset so I was not convinced it's an app problem. Tuesday night I factory reset again, this time doing the restore using Smart Switch (I had back up on my PC before the first factory reset). After recovery, one app (Google’s Currents) crashed, so I immediately uninstalled that one. After restore has competed, I turned off any automatic updates. I have not updated from either Google Play or Samsung’s app updates. Unless I am about to jinx myself, the message has not reappeared. Believing it is a problem with Samsung/T-Mobile’s device update, I decided to not update any apps until the next OTA push and see what happens.

So far, no "com.android.phone keeps stopping". Maybe this can also be a “workaround” for someone else until the fix is pushed.

Long story short: Factory Reset, remove any apps that are recovered but crash, turn off any app updates. If I get that dreaded message again, I will report back.

Userlevel 1

This has happened to me and after a second factory reset (details below), I have not received the "com.android.phone keeps stopping" message in a few days now.

Background: I received an update around 10/10-10/11 and Monday I started getting "com.android.phone keeps stopping". Can't call or text. Seems that the sim card is not recognized. Tried another and same problem. Phone settings show "unknown" for my phone number. On wifi I can call or text with 3rd party apps. I have cleared data and cache for Phone app. Also cleared cache partition. Finally factory reset Monday night. By 6pm Tuesday it happened again. I have installed very few apps since my factory reset so I was not convinced it's an app problem. Tuesday night I factory reset again, this time doing the restore using Smart Switch (I had back up on my PC before the first factory reset). After recovery, one app (Google’s Currents) crashed, so I immediately uninstalled that one. After restore has competed, I turned off any automatic updates. I have not updated from either Google Play or Samsung’s app updates. Unless I am about to jinx myself, the message has not reappeared. Believing it is a problem with Samsung/T-Mobile’s device update, I decided to not update any apps until the next OTA push and see what happens.

So far, no "com.android.phone keeps stopping". Maybe this can also be a “workaround” for someone else until the fix is pushed.

Long story short: Factory Reset, remove any apps that are recovered but crash, turn off any app updates. If I get that dreaded message again, I will report back.

Interesting. So I factory reset my phone last night (first time) and it took 6 hours to become a brick again. At the end of the day, it is all code and only when a certain condition is met, it would throw this error. Can't t-mobile tell us what is that triggers this (unless it exposes some security gap which can be misused). 

I will try FR again but no app crashed for me after 1st reset. I will try to not install any apps back this time.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

yeah the rumoured original release for the carrier hub issue (no idea how many other fixes they were trying to add into the mix) was supposed to be around the 16th..today...but it was breaking other stuff..havent heard much else past that on if they were able to get it ironed out or not before today..

Userlevel 2

Thanks to Soumyaudit for the idea, I was successfully able to revert the software update via Odin back the the August 1st patch. It does wipe your system however I am no longer getting the com.android.phone error or Carrier hub. 

THIS WIPES YOUR PHONE, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

Not sure if you can post external links here so I will just post what you need(just google what is mentioned)

Firmware G988USQU1BTI2 - From Sammobile 5.8GB file

Odin 3.14 - From Sammobile

Samsung USB Drivers - From samsungodin

Install the Samsung USB Drivers first
Extract both firmware and Odin

Turn your phone off

Launch Odin

On your phone, hold the volume up and down buttons together and plug in your phone to the computer. It will go into download mode. 

Add each file to its respective field in Odin v3.14.4. Use CSC_***, DO NOT USE HOME_CSC

Each of the five boxes should be filled with a file from the firmware you downloaded, make sure it is the correct file for the correct section(Ex. BL file to BL, AP file to AP). 

Press start, once it reboots it will now be flashed back to the August patches.

This is a temporary work around while we wait for the new patch, again use at your own risk.

Userlevel 1

Thanks to Soumyaudit for the idea, I was successfully able to revert the software update via Odin back the the August 1st patch. It does wipe your system however I am no longer getting the com.android.phone error or Carrier hub. 

Not sure if you can post external links here so I will just post what you need(just google what is mentioned)

Turn your phone off

Launch Odin

On your phone, hold the volume up and down buttons together and plug in your phone to the computer. It will go into download mode. 

Add each file to its respective field in Odin v3.14.4. Use CSC_***, DO NOT USE HOME_CSC

Each of the five boxes should be filled with a file from the firmware you downloaded, make sure it is the correct file for the correct section(Ex. BL file to BL, AP file to AP). 

This is a temporary work around while we wait for the new patch, again use at your own risk.

Oh @olycius, THANK YOU very much. I was a bit skeptical yesterday but I will flash with Odin tonight as well.. Terrific! 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

and for those that have never attempted anything like this before....you CAN brick your phone..which TMO wont help you fix...it’ll be all on you to try and fix it.

NOt sure it matters, but the app I messed with right before all hell broke loose was the Scam Shield.  The local office told me to download it because I was complaining about all the spam/scam calls I was getting since transferring from ATT.  It was after that and maybe a reboot that things went south fast.   

Userlevel 1

Turn your phone off

Launch Odin

Hey I just wanted to alert that the firmware G988USQU1BTI2 is for S20.. For folks who are experiencing the issue for other models (for me it is Note 10 plus), the firmware will be different.. 

Just sharing incase someone just starts googling without confirming the actual model and corresponding tmobile firmware ..

Userlevel 2

Turn your phone off

Launch Odin

Hey I just wanted to alert that the firmware G988USQU1BTI2 is for S20.. For folks who are experiencing the issue for other models (for me it is Note 10 plus), the firmware will be different.. 

Just sharing incase someone just starts googling without confirming the actual model and corresponding tmobile firmware ..

You are absolutely correct, my apologies. The firmware mentioned is for the S20U. Just get the august patches corresponding to your device that is for tmobile.

Userlevel 1

Turn your phone off

Launch Odin

You are absolutely correct, my apologies. The firmware mentioned is for the S20U. Just get the august patches corresponding to your device that is for tmobile.

I flashed back to August snapshot too and it looks stable so far .. I am sharing few tips on top of what @olycius has shared: 

- while searching for firmware on sammobile.. make sure you pick the exact model number that you see in your phone settings (eg. For my phone model SM-N975U, there were two versions - SM-N975U and SM-N975U1... Pick the one that is an exact match)..

- In order to download the firmware from Sammobile, you need to register and then go back to lookup the firmware to find the download button.

- This can really brick your phone so if you have never done this before, be very cautious. There are YouTube tutorials but again, this is risky. I had taken full backup and after flashing I only installed the apps I really needed again. 

Userlevel 1

I just got an OTA software update for my S20 plus. Calls and texts are working and no crashing phone app! Fingers crossed!!! 🤞 

Userlevel 1

I just got an OTA software update for my S20 plus. Calls and texts are working and no crashing phone app! Fingers crossed!!! 🤞 

Phone has working fine for the past hour after applying the OTA update.  I don't want to jinx it but I think my phone is fixed!!!

Userlevel 1

Phone has working fine for the past hour after applying the OTA update.  I don't want to jinx it but I think my phone is fixed!!!

Superb.. thanks for sharing @daveryansf. Can you please check the software information in settings and share what's the version for the security update?  

After flashing, I had turned off the auto updates. If this OTA push really has the fix, will turn it back on.

On Wednesday I went to a Samsung recommended repair facility. They worked together with Samsung and wiped my phone. Couldn't get back there Wed. but picked up Thursday and has been working fine since. Phone was near original state when I picked it up but most things I had backed up.

Userlevel 1

Userlevel 1

Superb.. thanks for sharing @daveryansf. Can you please check the software information in settings and share what's the version for the security update?  

After flashing, I had turned off the auto updates. If this OTA push really has the fix, will turn it back on.

Thank you... ! Will keep fingers crossed. Think this is it ... 🍺

Userlevel 1

Thank you... ! Will keep fingers crossed. Think this is it ... 🍺

No problem.  You can force check for updates under settings so you don't have to wait.  Good luck.  👍