Question

S20 5G errors and no service after OTA update this weekend

Show first post

185 replies

To paulov and other affected people:

Hi.

I almost always start saying I apologize for my english, I speak spanish, and english is not my specialty.

Sorry to hear that you are still going thru a headache with your cell phone.

Before I give you any additional information I must clarify that I am not a technician or an expert in cell phones, I'm just another ordinary person who went through the "com.android.phone keeps stopping" error and I'm sharing my experience and the procedure I followed to solve my problem.

I have 2 Samsung Galaxy S10.

The new software update was installed on my cell phone on October 22 at 4:00am. It was not automatically downloaded by my phone or automatically pushed/sent by the carrier (T-Mobile). It was downloaded by my phone when I followed the steps I mentioned in a previous post.

Now, that being said, to help you and other people that keep facing problems, the answers to your questions are:

Question #1:

Do we know what software got updated and what version is the new one?

Answer:

The information that you shared with me was:

Version: G781USQU1ATIG / G781UOYN1ATIG / G781USQU1ATIG
Size: 212.11 MB
Security Patch Level : September 1, 2020

The information in my phone is:

• Current version: G973USQS4ETJ1 / G973UOYN4ETJ1 / G973USQS4ETJ1
• Size: 201.61 MB
• Security patch level: October 1, 2020

This information is shown by my phone when I goto:

• Settings, Software update, Download and install, and in
• Settings, Software update, Last update

Also, in Settings, Software update, Last update, I found that there is this link:

https://doc.samsungmobile.com/SM-G973U/TMB/doc.html

that takes you to a detailed document explaining all the fixes that are contained in the new update and the improvements that were made.

In addition, when I goto Settings, About phone, Software information, Android security patch level, it takes me to the Source.Android.com Web Page, to the document titled Android Security Bulletins and as they say on that page:

"This page contains the available Android Security Bulletins, which provide fixes for possible issues affecting devices running Android."

Among the manufacturers for which solutions are mentioned is Samsung.

You can see this specific Source.Android.com Web Page following this link:

https://source.android.com/security/bulletin/

Question #2:

Do we have any clue to start looking?

Answer:

I have no idea. I have read on this T-Mobile Community, Samsung Community and Samsung Members app that people have, among other things:
• Cleared cache
• Cleared data
• Cleared/wiped cache Partition
• Soft reset
• Factory reset
• Even flashed the phone so it can go back to the previous Firmware version (a process I was not ready to get into because is highly risky for a person like me, that can rendered the phone damaged or permanently affected if is not done correctly)

Some people have had success performing some of these procedures, others have had temporary success for a few days or hours.

In my case I even contacted a company in Puerto Rico (which is where I live) that has technicians supposedly certified by Samsung and they told me that they do a Factory Reset on the phone, but not from the phone's software or by pressing a combination of buttons, but by deleting it completely and reinstalling the operating system and software by connecting it to a PC, programming that they supposedly download directly from Samsung.

As tmo_mike_c, Community Manager, said in a previous post "T-Mobile and Samsung are working on a fix...". I hope that one or both companies will find the problems and issue the pertinent permanent fixes as soon as possible.

Best wishes of good luck to you and the people who are still facing problems.

I'm upset. I have a Samsung S20+ locked to t-mobile and I'm experiencing this problem. I keep getting failed outgoing texts and outgoing phone calls that never connect to ring. And when I swipe down to see active notifications I see the MCM Client requests are processing. And stuff never sends. I reboot my phone and doesn't seem to help nave full bars and good 4G LTE service area. 10-24-2020. Please fix Samsung. Or t-mobile 

To Stedora:

Remember, I have a Samsung Galaxy S10 and I used this information to solve the "com.android.phone keeps stopping" error on my phone. If you are not receiving this error message, the procedure to correct the problem with your phone could be different.

Recommendations, make sure:
1) keep the phone working in Safe Mode:

(To Restart your phone in Safe Mode:
• Press and hold the Power button until the 'Power off' prompt appears on the screen then release.
• Touch and hold Power off until the 'Safe mode' prompt appears then release.
• To confirm, tap Safe mode.
• The process may take up to 30 seconds to complete.
• Upon reboot, 'Safe mode' appears in the lower-left of the unlock / Home screen.
• With Safe Mode enabled, from a Home screen, swipe up or down from the center of the display to access the apps screen.

(These instructions only apply to Standard mode and the default Home screen layout.)

2) Turn Airplane mode off:

(To turn Airplane mode off:
• Navigate: Settings, Connections, Airplane mode.
• Tap the Airplane mode switch to turn off. This is essential to allow you to use your phone in Safe Mode to make and receive calls, send and receive text messages and to allow you to have Internet in your phone so you can download the new update, if it is available for your phone model.)

3) check manually every once in a while for the new update is available in: Settings, Software update, Download and install.

Remember I'm giving you the steps I followed on my S10. The steps for your phone may be different depending on the software version of your phone and depending on your phone model.

Good luck!

Badge

The new software update was installed on my cell phone on October 22 at 4:00am. It was not automatically downloaded by my phone or automatically pushed/sent by the carrier (T-Mobile). It was downloaded by my phone when I followed the steps I mentioned in a previous post.

Thanks again FatGuyPR, so that you know, your written English is fine. No need to feel bad about it.

Having said that could you clarify this part of your post? The two underlined segments seem to contradict each other. Do you mean that it wasn’t automatic because you had to do something else besides just checking for an update? Because I’ve been checking for updates and nothing shows up.

Also what exactly are the steps you mentioned in a previous post? All I could see was that you went to the check in the updates section. Was there anything else you did?

Now this whole thing seems wonky for a couple reasons. One, is that it just started for me while some others have had the problem for a couple weeks. Why? Is there a time bomb somewhere?

Two, is that my wife’s phone with the same Software version and security update has no problems so far. Which makes me think that maybe it has to do with a conflict with a third party software. Which the safe mode workaround corroborates.

This last part got interesting now while writing this because Viber just poped up on my screen while I was doing a software update check. It could have nothing to do with it, but I was two screens past the Viber icon to have it show up out of nowhere. Since Viber has hooks with the phone app, I uninstalled it and I’m about to see if that helps. Would also make sense why my wife’s phone is fine since she doesn’t use Viber.

Do any of you guys have any other app like Viber that also makes phone calls and could be interfering with the com.android.phone app?

EDIT

Getting rid of Viber didn’t do it, but I noticed something else. When on SafeMode the phone app version is 11.5.03.11, but when in regular mode it says Version 10.

I’ll follow up with another post below

Badge

Safe Mode

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Bad Mode

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

A few differences in between the two modes and it doesn’t make sense that the normal mode is a lower version than the safe mode. I’m going to set their permissions identically first, if no change I’ll give adb a shot then.

UPDATE
This is really weird. When I look at the App Info via the little notification that says “it keeps stopping”, the version is 10. When I look at the App Info via the normal way in Settings, the version is 11.5.03.11. More so, Version 10 won’t allow me to make any permission changes or set it as default, while version 11 does. Mind you, this IS NOT in safemode.

At this point I’m giving up because it’s above my hobbyist pay grade. It seems that both versions are active at the same time, so someone probably made a mistake by calling the older version in some line. Or it’s a feature, if we don’t use our phone that’s the ultimate security update...

To paulov:

Before I give you any additional information I must clarify once again that I am not a technician or an expert in cell phones, I'm just another ordinary person who went through the "com.android.phone keeps stopping" error and I'm sharing my experience and the procedure I followed to solve my problem.

Question #1:

Do you mean that it wasn’t automatic because you had to do something else besides just checking for an update?

Answer:

I mean exactly what you just said, just checking for an update. It was not a situation that I look at my phone and surprise, my phone downloaded and installed the new update by itself. I don't know, what else can I say, I have no idea if Samsung and T-Mobile, that supposedly are working together to fix the problems, maybe they are releasing an update for each Samsung model one at the time instead of releasing one global update for all the models at the same time and maybe that is the reason why there are still people having problems.

Question #2:

Also what exactly are the steps you mentioned in a previous post?

Answer:

The steps I followed were:
1) keep the phone working in Safe Mode:

(To Restart your phone in Safe Mode:
• Press and hold the Power button until the 'Power off' prompt appears on the screen then release.
• Touch and hold Power off until the 'Safe mode' prompt appears then release.
• To confirm, tap Safe mode.
• The process may take up to 30 seconds to complete.
• Upon reboot, 'Safe mode' appears in the lower-left of the unlock / Home screen.
• With Safe Mode enabled, from a Home screen, swipe up or down from the center of the display to access the apps screen.

(These instructions only apply to Standard mode and the default Home screen layout.)

2) Turn Airplane mode off:

(To turn Airplane mode off:
• Navigate: Settings, Connections, Airplane mode.
• Tap the Airplane mode switch to turn off. This is essential to allow you to use your phone in Safe Mode to make and receive calls, send and receive text messages and to allow you to have Internet in your phone so you can download the new update, if it is available for your phone model.)

3) check manually every once in a while for the new update if it is available in: Settings, Software update, Download and install.

Remember, I have a Samsung Galaxy S10 and I used this information to solve the "com.android.phone keeps stopping" error on my phone. If you are not receiving this error message and/or if the software version of your phone is different and/or if your phone model is diferrent, the procedure to correct the problem with your phone could be different.

Question #3:

Was there anything else you did?

Answer:

I did nothing else.

Question #4:

...One, is that it just started for me while some others have had the problem for a couple weeks. Why?

Answer:

Maybe is depending on the Samsung model. The problem on my phone started on Monday October 19 and I was lucky to be able to download the update on the Thursday morning, October 22.

Question #5:

Is there a time bomb somewhere?

Answer:

I have no idea.

Question #6:

Two, is that my wife’s phone with the same Software version and security update has no problems so far. Which makes me think that maybe it has to do with a conflict with a third party software. Which the safe mode workaround corroborates.

Answer:

My situation is similar to yours and different at the same time. Let me explain. I have 2 Samsung Galaxy S10, one is my wife's phone, the other is mine. I always take care of my phone, keeping it updated, cleaned, etc. My wife is the opposite of me. She does not take care of the phone and protests when the phone gives her problems, then she worries.

The problem with my wife's phone exploded first. We were about to going to sleep a Friday night when we saw her phone automatically installing the update. The next day, Saturday, the phone had problems. More than a week later, the problem exploded with my phone.

Question #7:

Do any of you guys have any other app like Viber that also makes phone calls and could be interfering with the com.android.phone app?

Answer:

No, I don't have an app like Viber, in fact this the first time I heard of. Who knows, it is possible that the difference of apps installed on one phone and not installed on the other phone can make one phone more susceptible to problems than the other.

About the difference between versions using it "via the normal way" and Safe Mode or other, I have no idea or comment.

I hope that Samsung and T-Mobile fix all the problems because with each minute that goes by they are losing customer, and they are leaving angry and upset, and they have nothing possitive to say about both companies. I hope they catch the message before it's too late...

I hope the information I have provided is helpful.

Best wishes...

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey @be8 .

I was informed that an update was being sent out to resolve that issue. I’m confident the one you’re talking about is going to help fix this. Are you saying the issue went away before this update was sent? I’m reporting this info to my internal teams, so I want to make sure I’m getting the details right.

Thanks!

Yes, I detailed earlier in the thread how I got mine working again.

Last week’s update ran as scheduled though, and did not break anything, so I’m good.  Looks like there are others in here still having trouble though.

Update:  My husband’s T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ non-5G received it’s software update this morning 10/26/2020 from normal mode.  The software updated, and the com.android.phone keeps closing notifications ended and the phone which was heating up is no longer doing so.  

Keep checking for software download - I did so many times every day.

Mine is doing the exact same thing (com.android.phone keeps stopping), but on a much newer device, the Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G.

It started getting the error on Saturday morning, but shows no updates being installed since Oct 5th.

I will keep limping along in Safe Mode until an update comes out, or we hear more information.

:(

I also have a  Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G and the same error com.android.phone keeps stopping since October 5 a brand new Phone..No update yet ,,keeping the phone on safe mode since,,,,last security update  September 1,, I am in PR...Luckily I have a Digit attach to my number a S5 Phone and is working fine..

I did this 5 days ago, and my S20 Plus it’s been working great since.

(this is the Carrier Hub app, found under “show system apps”)

I don’t know if it’s a temporary fix, and I didn’t get the newest update from Oct 21-22.

Userlevel 1

To circumvent the problem, I had flashed my phone with Odin to August snapshot (yes I took the risk!). I am back to report that Oct 22nd patch was pushed to my phone last night (for me, the jump is from August to Oct instead of Sept to Oct for others).... and... I have not seen the issue popup so far. 

So I think downloading the patch indeed would fix the problem for others. 

Badge

Mine is the new FE as well. As is my wife’s. No updates for me yet :frowning2:

I just wet through all the apps that had access to the phone app on mine but not on hers. There were only 4. I uninstalled 3 of them and revoked the permission on the fourth (galaxy store). No luck still.

Next I’ll look through all the apps that had the phone app permission denied (much bigger list) and see if there are any differences. Since they don’t make an update available for everyone I have to try something.

Checking in again.  Running a samsung s20 ultra 5g.  I haven't been pushed any updates last week.

This is what I'm currently running.  Is this the latest update?   I'm still constantly getting the service interruptions and Carrier Hub MCM notifications.

So if I'm waiting for a patch that's already here I may as well start looking into more options.  This is the 3rd week I've been essentially told to be patient.

@tmo_mike_c any news on when the update will be available to download to fix this issue?  I know some people have got it but I keep checking for updates multiple times a day since the 22nd but still have not received the update.

Badge

@tmo_mike_c any news on when the update will be available to download to fix this issue?  I know some people have got it but I keep checking for updates multiple times a day since the 22nd but still have not received the update.

I was just trying to find that out with Tmobile. It turns out that the updates come directly from a Samsung server. Now I need to go bug them and they are not as friendly as Tmobile...

For the past week, I have been running in safe mode on my Galaxy Note 20 Ultra.  This allowed me to make calls, send text messages, and browse the internet.  It got boring really quick.  I played around with the phone and I seem to have found a way to avoid getting the "com.android.phone has stopped" message.  The process below is working for me and I have been on normal mode (not safe mode) for the past 4 days.  Prior to this, I would get the "com.android.phone has stopped" message immediately after a factory reset.

1.  Perform factory reset on the phone. I did not wipe cache.
2.  After reset, the phone will ask to connect to wifi.  DO NOT connect to wifi. Skip this step during setup. Connecting to wifi will allow your phone to update apps during the Android Setup. 
3.  Complete the phone setup by stepping through the prompts.
4.  Once your phone has completed the setup, log into "Play Store" and manually update your apps.  I updated the apps one by one, waiting for one app to finish before kicking off the next app update.
5.  Reboot phone.
6.  There will be some apps grayed out.  If you use them, install them by clicking on the grayed out app.
7.  Launch "Galaxy Store" and update your apps one by one.
8.  Reboot.

At this point, the only notification you will see in the notification bar is "Android Setup.  App updates are ready.  Connect to Wi-Fi to continue".  See below.

This notification can be ignored.  DO NOT connect to wifi or else Android Setup will install these updates. Stay off Wi-Fi.  I think these updates are what's causing the "com.android.phone has stopped" messages.

Give this a try and see if this works for you.  It worked for me and it is a temporary fix until I get the update from Samsung or T-Mobile.  Good luck.

In some ways I’m coming into this discussion late, but I’ve been having the discussion outside of the forum for more than a bit.  I have some ‘direct from Samsung’ information I’ll throw into the bottom.

I have a Note 20 Ultra.  I started having the problems weeks ago.  When I first spoke to Tmobile, they were helpful but didn’t know about it.  When I suggested the problem to Samsung and said I thought it might be widespread, they responded “You are mistaken.”  It was fun.

Like most people, I’ve done a variety of things including a factory reset and varying degrees of apps turned off, turned on again.  The longest period was around 9 days with everything turned off after a factory reset.  Then back again.  Currently running in Safe Mode, which many of us figured out on our own or from each other.

Five days ago, I talked with Samsung again, because we haven’t really had working phones with any real value beyond the ‘phone’ part of them, but that’s not really what you’ve paid for.  The representative this time knew immediately what I was talking about and I pointed out that I’d nearly sent my phone in but had cancelled that when I caught up to date on the forums and whatnot.  The representative stated for some of us, “We are hoping that there will be an update out before the end of the month.”  I explained that was a long time to wait and then he said that they were still gathering IMEIs of affected units to better determine the issue.  Even though I had called twice before and provided my IMEI, they had not, for whatever reason, connected either of the previous calls to get me on the list, so the agent added me when I asked.  Honestly at this point I’d say that if you haven’t called in you might want to, because otherwise they seem to be missing some key data points on certain phones that weren’t identified as having the problem.

I would otherwise love my phone if it wasn’t basically inoperable at this point for all the other things I use it for.  I could write a lot more gripes about it, but we’re in the same boat so I’ll stop there.

Do a manual check for updates this morning...a new update was posted and it fixes the issue!!!

Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5g here.

I did get the update this morning.  Fingers crossed this permanently fixes the issue!!!!

I just got mine too and fix the error,,,S20FE 5G same fix as thenikeman...(com.android.phone keeps stopping)  gone for good…..

Badge

I got it too. Let’s hope. Interesting is that the first reboot after the update the phone still complained about no SIM, then a few seconds later it recognized. It’s like they couldn’t prevent the problem but figured out how to fix it after it happens.

Badge

Those who got the update that fixed their phones, what did you do to get it?

Was your SIM card inserted?

Was your phone is Safe Mode?

Any other settings that need to be set?

Those who got the update that fixed their phones, what did you do to get it?

Was your SIM card inserted?

Was your phone is Safe Mode?

Any other settings that need to be set?

Hi Theo,

I was in normal mode, with SIM card, and went into download updates - even with the com.android.phone keeps stopping error popping up.

Good luck!

Badge

Thank you.