Question

S20 5G errors and no service after OTA update this weekend

Show first post

185 replies

I bought my wife a new phone new sim card and it still proceeds to do the same error.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hello, i have a S20 and have this same issue after the last update.  Factory reset clears it for a few days but phone app starts crashing again.  On reddit someone mentioned to download google dialer and make it default so the phone wont use the samsung dialer.  I did this yesterday, will see if that solves the issue.  I am in waiting mode now to see if the issue pops back up over the next few days.  So far the google dialer is working good, time will tell.

i can say its being investigated along with a pluthra of other issues that have sprung up over the last few months..oddly enough the dialler issue is only affecting the S20 on the TMO side for whatever reason even though the Sprint one receives the same update. rumour was a update was supposed to get pushed out the 16th ish to fix a lot of these issues however said update was breaking other things..so that 16th push is more than likely getting pushed back a bit.

Exact same error on S10+: "com.android.phone keeps stopping" after updating to one ui 2.5.

I noticed after factory resetting my phone number my imei appears but when the error starts happening I start to receive messages from Samsung stating I need to login to continue using services. I also noticed that my phone number and imei are blank.

I've factory reset phone 2x now. First before taking OTA to have a free install for 2.5, let Samsung and Google restore backup. 2nd Factory reset I wiped cache, reset, did not restore my apps and previous settings, manually reinstall apps. Same errors start within 24 hrs.

The only other thing I recall changing after the first reset was that I finally accepted Samsung persistent request to move two two step verification which I accepted. Interesting is when the error starts to happen Samsung then tries to make me login to verify my account on the device.  I assume it's because my phone number and imei get wiped and dissappear when the problem happens.

Also, not able to make calls and not able to send texts. Phone is useless.

This is a major bug with high severity that needs to be acknowledged by Samsung and t-mobile on behalf of their subscribers. 

Hello, i have a S20 and have this same issue after the last update.  Factory reset clears it for a few days but phone app starts crashing again.  On reddit someone mentioned to download google dialer and make it default so the phone wont use the samsung dialer.  I did this yesterday, will see if that solves the issue.  I am in waiting mode now to see if the issue pops back up over the next few days.  So far the google dialer is working good, time will tell.

Just an update - everything seems to be working fine at this point.  To recap, I cleared cache and data of 3 apps (Phone, Sim Toolkit, Play Store), cleared cache partition, then factory reset.  I’m not certain if that was the solution, or if those steps merely coincided with them fixing the OTA update, but that’s the last process I completed before it began working again.

So thankfully, that refurb can go right back into inventory for someone who really needs it.

I tried the same thing except I only did a clear cache not a factory rest no dice… but a factory reset will fix it either way for a day maybe 2 if your lucky

My S20 is doing the same thing as well a clear cache and factory reset are only temp fixes for a day or 2 at most. I have also been given a replacement phone and it started the exact same thing. This is so annoying I keep factory resetting it just to have a working phone but that’s not a real option for me anyone had any luck with out a factory reset or finding the app causing the crash?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Just an update - everything seems to be working fine at this point.  To recap, I cleared cache and data of 3 apps (Phone, Sim Toolkit, Play Store), cleared cache partition, then factory reset.  I’m not certain if that was the solution, or if those steps merely coincided with them fixing the OTA update, but that’s the last process I completed before it began working again.

So thankfully, that refurb can go right back into inventory for someone who really needs it.

Same problem here. It is terrible you pay a lot of koney for a phone and the service for this. Especially in the current situation, I use my phone for everything. What a shame. I have a Samsung S20 and I have had all the issues listed in the above responses and tried many things to fix it with no luck.

@PostNine I installed what I needed for work on Thursday, and went all weekend without installing anything else for days and was fine.  It was some form of an update done over Sunday/Monday yeah.  I uninstalled all apps I could clear the cache of both play services, phone app, and wipe cache partition, but nothing changed.

I did another factory reset and it didn’t last as long before it started again, so not sure.  Didn’t do the play store clearing though.

wow.. so are you getting the “com.android.phone keeps stopping” OR “MCM Client isn’t responding” pop up?

Userlevel 1

@PostNine I installed what I needed for work on Thursday, and went all weekend without installing anything else for days and was fine.  It was some form of an update done over Sunday/Monday yeah.  I uninstalled all apps I could clear the cache of both play services, phone app, and wipe cache partition, but nothing changed.

I did another factory reset and it didn’t last as long before it started again, so not sure.  Didn’t do the play store clearing though.

Most likely the update had a major change. Internally sometimes something changes in the update or code change and generally a full reset to the phone will correct this. Not a nice way to deal w things but almost always it fixes the issue when a phone do ota firmware upgrade. 

You can also find the app, service and clear it's cashe and data and restart the phone.

BTW, do a recovery mode reset. Soft resets, etc don't generally correct it. I suggest you manually update your phone until u get rid or stop the affected particular update.

So Factory Reset worked from Thursday(10/1) until today (10/5) and I slowly added apps because when I go into Safe mode I didn’t have problems, but can’t use anything.  I checked, I didn’t have anything different on my phone since two days ago, last time I installed Google Authenticator for my 2FA.

Things I’ve tried with no success
- cleared cache and data on Phone, Sim Toolkit, and Google Play Services

• Cache partition clear
  • Uninstalled Visual Voicemail
  • Turned off Auto Sync and Ran phone only in Wifi
  • Factory Reset (temporarily Worked)
  • Disabled apps not using (Facebook services)
  • Made sure Phone had ALL permissions
  • Disabled my work profile

Nothing works for longer than a little except factory for a few days and Safe mode which makes the phone useless.  Funny thing my kids moms phone is fine, no issues.  This is irritating like everyone has said because this is a $1000 close to a brick.

Could be one of the 3rd party apps you downloaded if the error pop up message doesn’t happen in the safe mode. Do you know which app you downloaded recently?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Sorry, missed that the first time around. You did a factory reset.

Yep the only thing I did differently this time was include the Play Store app in the clear-cache-and-data routine.  I still received the Carrier Hub app too btw, but it doesn’t seem to be causing any trouble.

Sorry, missed that the first time around. You did a factory reset.

I’m going to start slowly reinstalling my apps and restoring data.

Thanks for the info. Did you do a reset as well?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Update.  So I spoke to Support via fb and they suggested also clearing the cache/data of the Play Store.  I did that, performed another factory reset, and it’s been working normal for 3hrs now.

I don’t know if TMO fixed the OTA update that was borking things, or if this additional step of clearing out the Play Store was the fix, but it’s worth a shot for those of you having the same problem.  I had already cleared cache/data for the Sim Toolkit and Phone apps, but that was all.

I’m going to start slowly reinstalling my apps and restoring data.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Well that’s new - so Support is saying another OTA update is coming to fix this?

I’m experiencing the same thing like many others here. This is really not cool on T-mobile side. The tech support on the phone told me they will OTA send me an update tonight hopefully it will revert the change. I have to travel in a day. I really hope that will fix it tomorrow morning. I feel so hopeless now nothing I could do about my phone. The ‘com.android.phone keeps stopping’ message keep popping up. The 5G changed to 4G and then disappeared from the network bars and then reappeared again. My voicemail box keeps popping up wanted to chat messages. Not cool T-mobile!

Userlevel 1

Yeah i’ll look at it before i take it because I know some people have gotten them and the camera was cracked or the thing was scratched up.  Case or not, it isn’t the condition mine is in and i’m sure if i wanted to be diligent, a complete ROM wipe will do the trick.

Userlevel 3
Badge

My replacement arrived at the store today but it was a refurb in a generic brown box with a large glob of glue on the back - oh joy. 

The nice store associate suggested I try the Samsung techs at Best Buy tomorrow so I’m going to try that before trading in my new phone for a brown box refurb.

So disappointed in T-Mobile.

Userlevel 1

So I got with Chat and the Tech Guy said it was not something they hadn’t been able to fix with one of the steps we all have done.  The only choice was to get a replacement, but think the other choice is to wait for the next update and watch it either not fix things or magically make it all work.  I’m just replacing mine, so gotta go to the store in 2 days.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

reason im asking is im mainly on the Sprint side..well site wise..and i have noticed as of the last few months a pluthra of Sammy issues springing up after security patches/updates..not to say their updates are the same as yalls...but just going off what i have seen so far im not exactly surprised at this point lol.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I’m on Sim #3 - it didn’t help.  And I’ll receive an occasional error about no IMEI too - it seems to coincide with the fast network switching going on at the time.

Userlevel 1

So I did just realize something, my IMEI and Phone number are gone.  Even if we are losing a mobile connection it should be fine.  it is like it wiped the sim which I know someone got it replaced.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Galaxy S20 5G

One UI 2.5

Android 10

Baseband G981USQU1BTIE

Kernel 4.19.81-19654513 #2 Mon Sept 14

Build QP1A.190711.020.G981USQU1BTIE

Service Provider SW ver SAOMC_SM-G981U_OYN_TMB_QQ_0045 

Carrier configuration version 2.370001

Android security patch level September 1, 2020

Userlevel 1