Question

S20 5G errors and no service after OTA update this weekend

Userlevel 2
Badge

My new S20 5G received an OTA update this weekend and now I keep getting errors saying “com.android.phone keeps stopping” and I cannot send or receive calls or texts.  

I called Support, they walked me through clearing cache and data of the Phone app as well as SIM Toolkit - neither worked.  We finally performed a factory reset after I backed some stuff up, and that fixes it for about 15 minutes until it starts automatically installing system/carrier apps - then the phone/messages stop and that same error reappears every 30 seconds.

A new app also keeps sending a notification about “MCM Client requests are processing”, but the app is Carrier Hub which is a Sprint app - what is going on at T-Mobile?  I know they merged with Sprint but why is my T-Mobile phone getting Sprint system apps?  And unless I’m missing something, it broke my new phone!

Support finally said they’d replace it with a refurb, but this phone is new and I don’t want a refurbished phone.  Plus, I fully expect the same errors to happen with the replacement, because this one worked fine until that OTA update - and even works fine after a factory reset until it starts automatically downloading system apps from the network.  I’ve been a customer for 16 years and we have 4 lines with T-Mobile, but that may be about to end.

Help!

175 replies

Userlevel 2

Happening to me as well. Very frustrating!

Userlevel 1

I have the exact same problem on exactly the same device.  “MCM Client requests are processing” notification shows up intermittently.  I didn’t perform any manual updates this weekend.  The problems started this morning 10/5 and a reset did not resolve it. The phone will have 5G and 4 or 5 bars then will drop to no signal spontaneously.  Weird to say the least

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Most likely the update had a major change. Internally sometimes something changes in the update or code change and generally a full reset to the phone will correct this. Not a nice way to deal w things but almost always it fixes the issue when a phone do ota firmware upgrade. 

You can also find the app, service and clear it's cashe and data and restart the phone.

BTW, do a recovery mode reset. Soft resets, etc don't generally correct it. I suggest you manually update your phone until u get rid or stop the affected particular update.

Same issue on the note 10+ 5G. Issue goes away just after a hard reset only to recur shortly after - even if i don’t instal any more apps. Does not happen in safe mode (yet). Tried all of the samsung tips ( 1- phone cache, clear, restart…. 2- sim toolkit cache, clear, restart… 3- hard reset device)  to deal with it - did not work. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Most likely the update had a major change. Internally sometimes something changes in the update or code change and generally a full reset to the phone will correct this. Not a nice way to deal w things but almost always it fixes the issue when a phone do ota firmware upgrade. 

You can also find the app, service and clear it's cashe and data and restart the phone.

BTW, do a recovery mode reset. Soft resets, etc don't generally correct it. I suggest you manually update your phone until u get rid or stop the affected particular update.

I think I *did* do the recovery mode reset though - power up from shutdown by holding Volume Up and Power until the Android Recovery menu appears, then select Wipe Data/Factory Reset.  A warning appears that THIS CANNOT BE UNDONE, choose Factory Data Reset, a few lines appear at the bottom saying several different partitions were formatted, then Data Wipe Complete.

Is there anything else I can try? 

I’ve already backed my things up and done the above reset method several times - the last time I performed the reset, it didn’t even make it all the way through the Android out-of-the-box setup menu before it began the fast network switching someone described above (quickly and randomly switching between 5G, 4G, & no network).

I even stopped by a store today and they swapped out my sim with a new one - didn’t fix anything so I performed another factory reset with the new sim in it.  Same problem.

My new $1k phone is a brick right now thanks to a T-Mobile network problem or poorly-written update code, and all I’m being offered is a used phone?  And since now we know that others are also affected (even different models), how do we even know that the used replacement phone won’t succumb to the same code or network bug?

I’m generally a TMO fan but this is not the right way to handle this - I’d appreciate TMO stepping up to the plate with a proper resolution to this one.

I also went to the store and got a new sim card. It did not work. I cleared cache and data of the phone app. It did not work. I factory reset my phone like somebody said, it worked for 15 minutes then it didn’t. The only thing that seems to work is safe mode. you get service but that is it. I didn’t pay 1300 for the Note 20+ to use it as a flip phone. I went to a store that was on samsungs website. They had the samsung care. as soon as i was telling them the problem, they said i know what this is. and they told me to call samsung and tell them that i went to that store and that there is NO FIX. I told that to the rep and they told me that I needed to send them my phone to them and that i would probably get another phone. I did not hear them say anything about a new or a refurbished phone. 9 days without being able to use my phone.

Userlevel 1

So Factory Reset worked from Thursday(10/1) until today (10/5) and I slowly added apps because when I go into Safe mode I didn’t have problems, but can’t use anything.  I checked, I didn’t have anything different on my phone since two days ago, last time I installed Google Authenticator for my 2FA.

Things I’ve tried with no success
- cleared cache and data on Phone, Sim Toolkit, and Google Play Services

• Cache partition clear
  • Uninstalled Visual Voicemail
  • Turned off Auto Sync and Ran phone only in Wifi
  • Factory Reset (temporarily Worked)
  • Disabled apps not using (Facebook services)
  • Made sure Phone had ALL permissions
  • Disabled my work profile

Nothing works for longer than a little except factory for a few days and Safe mode which makes the phone useless.  Funny thing my kids moms phone is fine, no issues.  This is irritating like everyone has said because this is a $1000 close to a brick.

Userlevel 2

I also reset my phone which worked fine until this morning when the Carrier Hub was reinstalled. There is definitely a correlation between this app and what is going it. It seems T-mobile should stop pushing out the app and let us know when we can reset our phones without the app being reinstalled.  

Userlevel 2
Badge

I also reset my phone which worked fine until this morning when the Carrier Hub was reinstalled. There is definitely a correlation between this app and what is going it. It seems T-mobile should stop pushing out the app and let us know when we can reset our phones without the app being reinstalled.  

I agree - it certainly seems as though some update is coming in over-the-air after I reset my phone that breaks it again.  

Does T-Mobile support monitor these forums?  I’ve just not had luck getting Support to escalate this beyond their group - they still want to replace it but I don’t expect that to solve anything.  It certainly won’t do anything for the other poor customers experiencing the issue that just haven’t found this support thread yet.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I agree - it certainly seems as though some update is coming in over-the-air after I reset my phone that breaks it again.  

Does T-Mobile support monitor these forums?  I’ve just not had luck getting Support to escalate this beyond their group - they still want to replace it but I don’t expect that to solve anything.  It certainly won’t do anything for the other poor customers experiencing the issue that just haven’t found this support thread yet.

negative..its mainly peer to peer...out of curiosity...which update are yall on currently that brought in this issue?

Userlevel 1

@fireguy_6364  

Current Version: G986USQU1BTIE / G986UOYN1BTIE / G986USQU1BTIE
Security Patch Level: September 1, 2020

Userlevel 2
Badge

Galaxy S20 5G

One UI 2.5

Android 10

Baseband G981USQU1BTIE

Kernel 4.19.81-19654513 #2 Mon Sept 14

Build QP1A.190711.020.G981USQU1BTIE

Service Provider SW ver SAOMC_SM-G981U_OYN_TMB_QQ_0045 

Carrier configuration version 2.370001

Android security patch level September 1, 2020

Userlevel 1

So I did just realize something, my IMEI and Phone number are gone.  Even if we are losing a mobile connection it should be fine.  it is like it wiped the sim which I know someone got it replaced.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’m on Sim #3 - it didn’t help.  And I’ll receive an occasional error about no IMEI too - it seems to coincide with the fast network switching going on at the time.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

reason im asking is im mainly on the Sprint side..well site wise..and i have noticed as of the last few months a pluthra of Sammy issues springing up after security patches/updates..not to say their updates are the same as yalls...but just going off what i have seen so far im not exactly surprised at this point lol.

Userlevel 1

So I got with Chat and the Tech Guy said it was not something they hadn’t been able to fix with one of the steps we all have done.  The only choice was to get a replacement, but think the other choice is to wait for the next update and watch it either not fix things or magically make it all work.  I’m just replacing mine, so gotta go to the store in 2 days.

Userlevel 2
Badge

My replacement arrived at the store today but it was a refurb in a generic brown box with a large glob of glue on the back - oh joy. 

The nice store associate suggested I try the Samsung techs at Best Buy tomorrow so I’m going to try that before trading in my new phone for a brown box refurb.

So disappointed in T-Mobile.

Userlevel 1

Yeah i’ll look at it before i take it because I know some people have gotten them and the camera was cracked or the thing was scratched up.  Case or not, it isn’t the condition mine is in and i’m sure if i wanted to be diligent, a complete ROM wipe will do the trick.

I’m experiencing the same thing like many others here. This is really not cool on T-mobile side. The tech support on the phone told me they will OTA send me an update tonight hopefully it will revert the change. I have to travel in a day. I really hope that will fix it tomorrow morning. I feel so hopeless now nothing I could do about my phone. The ‘com.android.phone keeps stopping’ message keep popping up. The 5G changed to 4G and then disappeared from the network bars and then reappeared again. My voicemail box keeps popping up wanted to chat messages. Not cool T-mobile!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Well that’s new - so Support is saying another OTA update is coming to fix this?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Update.  So I spoke to Support via fb and they suggested also clearing the cache/data of the Play Store.  I did that, performed another factory reset, and it’s been working normal for 3hrs now.

I don’t know if TMO fixed the OTA update that was borking things, or if this additional step of clearing out the Play Store was the fix, but it’s worth a shot for those of you having the same problem.  I had already cleared cache/data for the Sim Toolkit and Phone apps, but that was all.

I’m going to start slowly reinstalling my apps and restoring data.

I’m going to start slowly reinstalling my apps and restoring data.

Thanks for the info. Did you do a reset as well?

Sorry, missed that the first time around. You did a factory reset.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Sorry, missed that the first time around. You did a factory reset.

Yep the only thing I did differently this time was include the Play Store app in the clear-cache-and-data routine.  I still received the Carrier Hub app too btw, but it doesn’t seem to be causing any trouble.

So Factory Reset worked from Thursday(10/1) until today (10/5) and I slowly added apps because when I go into Safe mode I didn’t have problems, but can’t use anything.  I checked, I didn’t have anything different on my phone since two days ago, last time I installed Google Authenticator for my 2FA.

Things I’ve tried with no success
- cleared cache and data on Phone, Sim Toolkit, and Google Play Services

• Cache partition clear
  • Uninstalled Visual Voicemail
  • Turned off Auto Sync and Ran phone only in Wifi
  • Factory Reset (temporarily Worked)
  • Disabled apps not using (Facebook services)
  • Made sure Phone had ALL permissions
  • Disabled my work profile

Nothing works for longer than a little except factory for a few days and Safe mode which makes the phone useless.  Funny thing my kids moms phone is fine, no issues.  This is irritating like everyone has said because this is a $1000 close to a brick.

Could be one of the 3rd party apps you downloaded if the error pop up message doesn’t happen in the safe mode. Do you know which app you downloaded recently?