Question

S20 5G errors and no service after OTA update this weekend

Userlevel 2
Badge

My new S20 5G received an OTA update this weekend and now I keep getting errors saying “com.android.phone keeps stopping” and I cannot send or receive calls or texts.  

I called Support, they walked me through clearing cache and data of the Phone app as well as SIM Toolkit - neither worked.  We finally performed a factory reset after I backed some stuff up, and that fixes it for about 15 minutes until it starts automatically installing system/carrier apps - then the phone/messages stop and that same error reappears every 30 seconds.

A new app also keeps sending a notification about “MCM Client requests are processing”, but the app is Carrier Hub which is a Sprint app - what is going on at T-Mobile?  I know they merged with Sprint but why is my T-Mobile phone getting Sprint system apps?  And unless I’m missing something, it broke my new phone!

Support finally said they’d replace it with a refurb, but this phone is new and I don’t want a refurbished phone.  Plus, I fully expect the same errors to happen with the replacement, because this one worked fine until that OTA update - and even works fine after a factory reset until it starts automatically downloading system apps from the network.  I’ve been a customer for 16 years and we have 4 lines with T-Mobile, but that may be about to end.

Help!

175 replies

Userlevel 2

Happening to me as well. Very frustrating!

Userlevel 2

I also reset my phone which worked fine until this morning when the Carrier Hub was reinstalled. There is definitely a correlation between this app and what is going it. It seems T-mobile should stop pushing out the app and let us know when we can reset our phones without the app being reinstalled.  

Userlevel 1

I have the exact same problem on exactly the same device.  “MCM Client requests are processing” notification shows up intermittently.  I didn’t perform any manual updates this weekend.  The problems started this morning 10/5 and a reset did not resolve it. The phone will have 5G and 4 or 5 bars then will drop to no signal spontaneously.  Weird to say the least

Userlevel 2
Badge

Most likely the update had a major change. Internally sometimes something changes in the update or code change and generally a full reset to the phone will correct this. Not a nice way to deal w things but almost always it fixes the issue when a phone do ota firmware upgrade. 

You can also find the app, service and clear it's cashe and data and restart the phone.

BTW, do a recovery mode reset. Soft resets, etc don't generally correct it. I suggest you manually update your phone until u get rid or stop the affected particular update.

I think I *did* do the recovery mode reset though - power up from shutdown by holding Volume Up and Power until the Android Recovery menu appears, then select Wipe Data/Factory Reset.  A warning appears that THIS CANNOT BE UNDONE, choose Factory Data Reset, a few lines appear at the bottom saying several different partitions were formatted, then Data Wipe Complete.

Is there anything else I can try? 

I’ve already backed my things up and done the above reset method several times - the last time I performed the reset, it didn’t even make it all the way through the Android out-of-the-box setup menu before it began the fast network switching someone described above (quickly and randomly switching between 5G, 4G, & no network).

I even stopped by a store today and they swapped out my sim with a new one - didn’t fix anything so I performed another factory reset with the new sim in it.  Same problem.

My new $1k phone is a brick right now thanks to a T-Mobile network problem or poorly-written update code, and all I’m being offered is a used phone?  And since now we know that others are also affected (even different models), how do we even know that the used replacement phone won’t succumb to the same code or network bug?

I’m generally a TMO fan but this is not the right way to handle this - I’d appreciate TMO stepping up to the plate with a proper resolution to this one.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Great question @Soumyaudit .

I don’t have a rough timeframe I can give right now. I’ll check often and keep everyone updated when I find things out.

Same issue on the note 10+ 5G. Issue goes away just after a hard reset only to recur shortly after - even if i don’t instal any more apps. Does not happen in safe mode (yet). Tried all of the samsung tips ( 1- phone cache, clear, restart…. 2- sim toolkit cache, clear, restart… 3- hard reset device)  to deal with it - did not work. 

Userlevel 1

Most likely the update had a major change. Internally sometimes something changes in the update or code change and generally a full reset to the phone will correct this. Not a nice way to deal w things but almost always it fixes the issue when a phone do ota firmware upgrade. 

You can also find the app, service and clear it's cashe and data and restart the phone.

BTW, do a recovery mode reset. Soft resets, etc don't generally correct it. I suggest you manually update your phone until u get rid or stop the affected particular update.

So Factory Reset worked from Thursday(10/1) until today (10/5) and I slowly added apps because when I go into Safe mode I didn’t have problems, but can’t use anything.  I checked, I didn’t have anything different on my phone since two days ago, last time I installed Google Authenticator for my 2FA.

Things I’ve tried with no success
- cleared cache and data on Phone, Sim Toolkit, and Google Play Services

• Cache partition clear
  • Uninstalled Visual Voicemail
  • Turned off Auto Sync and Ran phone only in Wifi
  • Factory Reset (temporarily Worked)
  • Disabled apps not using (Facebook services)
  • Made sure Phone had ALL permissions
  • Disabled my work profile

Nothing works for longer than a little except factory for a few days and Safe mode which makes the phone useless.  Funny thing my kids moms phone is fine, no issues.  This is irritating like everyone has said because this is a $1000 close to a brick.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Just an update - everything seems to be working fine at this point.  To recap, I cleared cache and data of 3 apps (Phone, Sim Toolkit, Play Store), cleared cache partition, then factory reset.  I’m not certain if that was the solution, or if those steps merely coincided with them fixing the OTA update, but that’s the last process I completed before it began working again.

So thankfully, that refurb can go right back into inventory for someone who really needs it.

Userlevel 2

Yes, I did read the entire thread, and I still posted despite the fact that I saw that they are working on it.  Because it literally hit me after the last post.  If a carrier has pushed out an update that bricks phones, and it’s a known issue, then why are they still pushing it out?

If you did read the entire thread, you would have seen I mentioned this update has been paused since TMO is aware of this issue. Anyone who tries to update will not receive this update that broke phones for those that did. It was paused a few days after release.

@Soumyaudit My best guess is an update/fix won’t be out for at least another week IF it even has been fixed, but until we get another update that’s what I am sticking to. I am going based off of their update cycle timeline, and it does not seem like this is a priority to get it out asap as this issue has been known for over 10 days.

In some ways I’m coming into this discussion late, but I’ve been having the discussion outside of the forum for more than a bit.  I have some ‘direct from Samsung’ information I’ll throw into the bottom.

I have a Note 20 Ultra.  I started having the problems weeks ago.  When I first spoke to Tmobile, they were helpful but didn’t know about it.  When I suggested the problem to Samsung and said I thought it might be widespread, they responded “You are mistaken.”  It was fun.

Like most people, I’ve done a variety of things including a factory reset and varying degrees of apps turned off, turned on again.  The longest period was around 9 days with everything turned off after a factory reset.  Then back again.  Currently running in Safe Mode, which many of us figured out on our own or from each other.

Five days ago, I talked with Samsung again, because we haven’t really had working phones with any real value beyond the ‘phone’ part of them, but that’s not really what you’ve paid for.  The representative this time knew immediately what I was talking about and I pointed out that I’d nearly sent my phone in but had cancelled that when I caught up to date on the forums and whatnot.  The representative stated for some of us, “We are hoping that there will be an update out before the end of the month.”  I explained that was a long time to wait and then he said that they were still gathering IMEIs of affected units to better determine the issue.  Even though I had called twice before and provided my IMEI, they had not, for whatever reason, connected either of the previous calls to get me on the list, so the agent added me when I asked.  Honestly at this point I’d say that if you haven’t called in you might want to, because otherwise they seem to be missing some key data points on certain phones that weren’t identified as having the problem.

I would otherwise love my phone if it wasn’t basically inoperable at this point for all the other things I use it for.  I could write a lot more gripes about it, but we’re in the same boat so I’ll stop there.

This has happened to me and after a second factory reset (details below), I have not received the "com.android.phone keeps stopping" message in a few days now.

Background: I received an update around 10/10-10/11 and Monday I started getting "com.android.phone keeps stopping". Can't call or text. Seems that the sim card is not recognized. Tried another and same problem. Phone settings show "unknown" for my phone number. On wifi I can call or text with 3rd party apps. I have cleared data and cache for Phone app. Also cleared cache partition. Finally factory reset Monday night. By 6pm Tuesday it happened again. I have installed very few apps since my factory reset so I was not convinced it's an app problem. Tuesday night I factory reset again, this time doing the restore using Smart Switch (I had back up on my PC before the first factory reset). After recovery, one app (Google’s Currents) crashed, so I immediately uninstalled that one. After restore has competed, I turned off any automatic updates. I have not updated from either Google Play or Samsung’s app updates. Unless I am about to jinx myself, the message has not reappeared. Believing it is a problem with Samsung/T-Mobile’s device update, I decided to not update any apps until the next OTA push and see what happens.

So far, no "com.android.phone keeps stopping". Maybe this can also be a “workaround” for someone else until the fix is pushed.

Long story short: Factory Reset, remove any apps that are recovered but crash, turn off any app updates. If I get that dreaded message again, I will report back.

Userlevel 2

Thanks to Soumyaudit for the idea, I was successfully able to revert the software update via Odin back the the August 1st patch. It does wipe your system however I am no longer getting the com.android.phone error or Carrier hub. 

THIS WIPES YOUR PHONE, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

Not sure if you can post external links here so I will just post what you need(just google what is mentioned)

Firmware G988USQU1BTI2 - From Sammobile 5.8GB file

Odin 3.14 - From Sammobile

Samsung USB Drivers - From samsungodin

Install the Samsung USB Drivers first
Extract both firmware and Odin

Turn your phone off

Launch Odin

On your phone, hold the volume up and down buttons together and plug in your phone to the computer. It will go into download mode. 

Add each file to its respective field in Odin v3.14.4. Use CSC_***, DO NOT USE HOME_CSC

Each of the five boxes should be filled with a file from the firmware you downloaded, make sure it is the correct file for the correct section(Ex. BL file to BL, AP file to AP). 

Press start, once it reboots it will now be flashed back to the August patches.

This is a temporary work around while we wait for the new patch, again use at your own risk.

NOt sure it matters, but the app I messed with right before all hell broke loose was the Scam Shield.  The local office told me to download it because I was complaining about all the spam/scam calls I was getting since transferring from ATT.  It was after that and maybe a reboot that things went south fast.   

Userlevel 2

Thanks to Soumyaudit for the idea, I was successfully able to revert the software update via Odin back the the August 1st patch. It does wipe your system however I am no longer getting the com.android.phone error or Carrier hub. 

THIS WIPES YOUR PHONE, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

Not sure if you can post external links here so I will just post what you need(just google what is mentioned)

Firmware G988USQU1BTI2 - From Sammobile 5.8GB file

Odin 3.14 - From Sammobile

Samsung USB Drivers - From samsungodin

Install the Samsung USB Drivers first
Extract both firmware and Odin

Turn your phone off

Launch Odin

On your phone, hold the volume up and down buttons together and plug in your phone to the computer. It will go into download mode. 

Add each file to its respective field in Odin v3.14.4. Use CSC_***, DO NOT USE HOME_CSC

Each of the five boxes should be filled with a file from the firmware you downloaded, make sure it is the correct file for the correct section(Ex. BL file to BL, AP file to AP). 

Press start, once it reboots it will now be flashed back to the August patches.

This is a temporary work around while we wait for the new patch, again use at your own risk.

Hey I just wanted to alert that the firmware G988USQU1BTI2 is for S20.. For folks who are experiencing the issue for other models (for me it is Note 10 plus), the firmware will be different.. 

Just sharing incase someone just starts googling without confirming the actual model and corresponding tmobile firmware ..

You are absolutely correct, my apologies. The firmware mentioned is for the S20U. Just get the august patches corresponding to your device that is for tmobile.

Userlevel 1

I just got an OTA software update for my S20 plus. Calls and texts are working and no crashing phone app! Fingers crossed!!! 🤞 

Any suggestions on how to get the update?  I keep checking for updates on my phone and it keeps saying the software is up to date.

Userlevel 1

I just got an OTA software update for my S20 plus. Calls and texts are working and no crashing phone app! Fingers crossed!!! 🤞 

Phone has working fine for the past hour after applying the OTA update.  I don't want to jinx it but I think my phone is fixed!!!

Userlevel 1

Userlevel 1

I've been following this thread for a while. 

just got the new update that was released today and nothing has changed for me.  I'm still getting dropped with Carrier Hub MCM requests are processing notifications.

Sorry to hear.  I did have one Carrier Hub processing notification right after the phone updated but nothing crashed.  Haven't seen the Carrier Hub notification since. Good luck.

I've been following this thread for a while. 

just got the new update that was released today and nothing has changed for me.  I'm still getting dropped with Carrier Hub MCM requests are processing notifications.

Sorry to hear.  I did have one Carrier Hub processing notification right after the phone updated but nothing crashed.  Haven't seen the Carrier Hub notification since. Good luck.

thanks.  I'll keep following here.  all we can do is wait I guess!  I can't afford to go grab a new phone at this point.  so hopefully it smooths out!

i hate changes without advice, so im payng for service

I also went to the store and got a new sim card. It did not work. I cleared cache and data of the phone app. It did not work. I factory reset my phone like somebody said, it worked for 15 minutes then it didn’t. The only thing that seems to work is safe mode. you get service but that is it. I didn’t pay 1300 for the Note 20+ to use it as a flip phone. I went to a store that was on samsungs website. They had the samsung care. as soon as i was telling them the problem, they said i know what this is. and they told me to call samsung and tell them that i went to that store and that there is NO FIX. I told that to the rep and they told me that I needed to send them my phone to them and that i would probably get another phone. I did not hear them say anything about a new or a refurbished phone. 9 days without being able to use my phone.

Userlevel 1

Well, it’s been 5 days since my factory reset and it’s happening again. I have not allowed any apps to update. I am pretty convinced it’s not an app but an issue with Samsung/T-Mobile. Time for another factory reset and hope that a fix is coming soon.

It certainly is an issue with October patch that was confirmed earlier in this thread. Factory reset only buys you few hours (in my case it was 5 hours) to few days. Since I flashed to August security snapshot using Odin, I have not had any crashes and I have the same apps running as before. 

It will be interesting to know if the folks who have recently received the new OTA security update, whether this problem has been fixed or not.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Galaxy S20 5G

One UI 2.5

Android 10

Baseband G981USQU1BTIE

Kernel 4.19.81-19654513 #2 Mon Sept 14

Build QP1A.190711.020.G981USQU1BTIE

Service Provider SW ver SAOMC_SM-G981U_OYN_TMB_QQ_0045 

Carrier configuration version 2.370001

Android security patch level September 1, 2020

Userlevel 2

I called TMO yesterday, the level 1 support transferred me to tech support right away after I explained the issue and troubleshooting I had already done. Tech was not aware of the issue, but said they would bring it up in their next tech meeting that they have daily.

The update that we all did has been paused, which means someone on the TMO knows it’s breaking phones. It is only Samsung phones as well from what I have seen that support 5G. Honestly this will most likely not be fixed until the next software update comes out within the next two weeks(hopefully). If you need to call/text, just put the phone in safe mode. I have to use 2FA for work so it’s annoying having to reboot just to use the apps then back to safe mode. Will be much more hesitant on future updates and will probably wait at least a month prior to installing.

The October patches have been released a few days ago and unlocked devices got the update already, so it’s just a matter of TMO working on it to get them out to us. Not sure if the issues caused in the patch that messed the phones up to begin with will delay the new update either. Tech said they do not have an ETA on a newer software update. Last few months they have been between the 20th-26th, so I would expect no difference with a new software update.