Solved

S5 conversion from Verizon to Tmobile

• 20 March 2018
  • 8 replies

We switched from Verizon to Tmobile. My wife carried S5 over. She is having issue send text message and attachments such as pictures. Is there something that was not done in the conversion while we were in the store that we can fix easily

icon

Best answer by thelimerunner 20 March 2018, 01:23

View original

8 replies

Welcome to the Magenta Family! Sorry to hear you're having hiccups! When moving over devices not originally designed for T-Mobile, they may not work properly, but that doesn't mean we're out of options!

Do me a favor, and on your wife's S5, lets make sure her APN settings are updated correctly. They should be as follows:

APN & data settings

1. From any Home screen, tap Apps.
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. Scroll to 'NETWORK CONNECTIONS,'  then tap More networks.
  4. Tap Mobile networks.
  5. Tap Access Point Names.
  6. To reset your APN, tap the Menu icon and then tap Reset to default.
  7. If available, tap the T-Mobile US LTE APN (the bullet point fills with green).
  8. To verify your APN, tap T-Mobile US LTE with the bullet point filled with green.
  9. Verify and update the following settings for the Data APN:
    • Name: T-Mobile US LTE
    • APN: fast.t-mobile.com
    • Proxy: <Not set>
    • Port: <Not set>
    • Username: <Not set>
    • Password: <Not set>
    • Server: <Not set>
    • MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    • Multimedia message proxy: <Not set>
    • Multimedia message port: <Not set>
    • MCC: 310
    • MNC: 260
    • Authentication type: None
    • APN Type: default,supl,mms OR Internet+MMS
      • Default Android provides a text field to enter: default,supl,mms
      • Samsung provides an Internet+MMS radio button to select.
    • APN protocol: IPv6
    • APN roaming protocol: IPv4
    • Turn APN on/off: APN turned on
    • Bearer: Unspecified
    • Mobile virtual network operator type: None
    • Mobile virtual network operator value: <Not set>
  10. Tap the Menu key in the top right.
  11. Tap Save.

Once out of that menu, select the new APN you created, and have your wife try sending another picture message.

Let me know if this was able to get the issue resolved, or if we need to do some more trouble shooting for you!

Please note, that while I am a T-Mobile employee, the views and opinions expressed here may not necessarily reflect those of T-Mobile.

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

It is also worth noteing that her phone is pretty old and lacks support for some of the coverage T-mobile uses for their network. I agree that checking her APN settings is the best option first. If that resolves it than great, if not then I would try doing some trouble shooting. Like testing her sim in a t-mobile branded phone and seeing if texts send fine. You could also get a booster for the place in question if service is weak, since her phone doesn't support wi-fi calling.

I think we have everything under control now. Thank you to all

I had a similar problem with my Galaxy S 5 in that I could neither send nor receive MMS messages; I followed all the above steps, and spent half an hour on the phone with tech support. Finally, I gave up and we headed back to the T-Mobile store here in Puyallup WA., resigned to the fact that I was going to have shell out more $$ for a new phone when we had just bought my husband on as part of the switch from Verizon to T-Mobile.  I explained the problem to Amal, the store manager, and instead of hard selling me a new phone, he took my phone and worked on it for nearly an hour, trying different fixes. Finally, he reset the internet; and wow! it worked!  I took my Galaxy phone home and shortly after that, my son who lives in upstate New York, where the only option for decent coverage is still Verizon, called me. When I told him my old phone still worked, he asked if I was talking to him on it at home on T-Mobile. When I told him I was, he said he thought I'd bought the new phone because the volume and clarity was so much better than it had been last week when we'd talked--which was while I was still with Verizon.

I don't know where else to post thanks to Amal for his time and awesome customer service, but he was truly outstanding.

I am having a similar problem with my unlocked Galaxy S5 phone that originally was on a Verizon network.  The phone service and text service works with the T-mobile SIM card, but network data does not work.  

I followed the March 19, 2018 reply by thelimerunner with great interest.  But after arriving to Access Point Names to reset the APN, I found the Reset to Default option to be grayed out [not accessible].  I then tried moving on to the Edit Access Point screen and found the switch for Turn APN on/off locked in the on position and grayed out.

Any additional advice that you might have on how to reset the APN to Default would be appreciated.

I too tried the same suggestion as thelimerunner but still have no data connection, only voice and text. Has anyone else been able to successfully convert their Verizon S5 to use T-Mobile data?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

if you pop back into the BYOD compatibility check is it still saying its compatible? cant remember if the S5 was VoLTE compatible or not..and i remember at some point devices that couldnt use it would no longer be allowed..someone will have to chime in on that one in the know..

Userlevel 3

Hey there! Just wanted to check in and see if the APNs above were helpful. 😊 How are things going for you with your wife's S5?