Question

S6 edge upgrade

• 12 September 2020
  • 8 replies

Badge +2

Upgraded from v6 to v7 and with built in anti virus wants me to turn it on. What will happen if turn it on - will it require me to subscribe this anti virus, the OS will be slow due to screening, will it stop the pop up ads?  Needs advice from someone with experiences on this, thanks.

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

If your device has an issue with ads popping up, then you have more serious issues.  Find the app(s) that are causing your ads and remove them!  Any legitimate anti-virus software will slow down your device,  Personally, I don’t think an anti-virus is needed on a smartphone unless your bootloader is unlocked, you are rooted, and/or are installing apps and such from unreliable sources.  

Badge +2

If your device has an issue with ads popping up, then you have more serious issues.  Find the app(s) that are causing your ads and remove them!  Any legitimate anti-virus software will slow down your device,  Personally, I don’t think an anti-virus is needed on a smartphone unless your bootloader is unlocked, you are rooted, and/or are installing apps and such from unreliable sources.  

when i remove an app it says “ some app will not function” is this true or just precaution not to remove the built in from upgrade app.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

There might be apps that loosely rely on it.  If you are concerned about roving it, then just disable it. 

Badge +2

This app can not be removed because it is a built in app with upgrade in android. No way end to this pop up ad - just leave it alone .

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

This app can not be removed because it is a built in app with upgrade in android. No way end to this pop up ad - just leave it alone .

Then disable it.  I'm guessing you have never heard of ADB as well.  Any junk giving you an unwanted pop-up isn't worth keeping.  You might also want to install Package Info temporarily to find the actual name of the app, in case you device to remove it from being currently installed. 

Stupid apps, like ZEN Mode for OnePlus, is a good example.  Using ADB to remove it doesn't impact the device at all but removes the possibility of your device being rendered useless if you activate it by accident.  

Badge +2

Then disable it.  I'm guessing you have never heard of ADB as well.  Any junk giving you an unwanted pop-up isn't worth keeping.  You might also want to install Package Info temporarily to find the actual name of the app, in case you device to remove it from being currently installed. 

Stupid apps, like ZEN Mode for OnePlus, is a good example.  Using ADB to remove it doesn't impact the device at all but removes the possibility of your device being rendered useless if you activate it by accident.  

Google own android and its not advisable  to disable youtube app because it is owned by google. Another annoying app is peel remote and chrome - google makes money for this. Its business world and consumers are the one  suffering  the most. My advice if you can follow - do not upgrade just buy a new one because the old one is better and the upgraded one will give you trouble.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Google own android and its not advisable  to disable youtube app because it is owned by google. Another annoying app is peel remote and chrome - google makes money for this. Its business world and consumers are the one  suffering  the most. My advice if you can follow - do not upgrade just buy a new one because the old one is better and the upgraded one will give you trouble.

I remove the YouTube app from all of my devices!  It is better to watch it through a browser with a good ad blocker.  Chrome cam be removed but it isn't as straight forward.  If you don't know how to remove it, you will break the Play Store. 

Badge +2

I do not have any more explanation and ending this thread.