Question

Samsung phone suddenly will not receive calls

Badge

So I have had this phone for about a year connected to T-Mobile without any issues until last month, where it and another phone on the line lost connection and could not use mobile data, however we fixed it at the store. But recently just randomly, my phone specifically will not receive calls, but the strange thing is that mobile data works and I can make and receive texts, and also make calls, I just can't receive the calls. When someone attempts to call, it rings but on my phone the 4G LTE icon at the top turns into a blocked icon and then returns to the normal 4G LTE icon and the call ends. We went to the store and they changed the sim but it did not work, and they just told me to upgrade my phone (I did not buy the phone at T-Mobile). So now I cannot receive any calls from anyone, and it is kind of frustrating and my phone is not that old (it's a Samsung A32 4G). At the store they put the sim card in another phone and it worked however, and they said that it's my phone. If so how can I fix it if I can? Any help is appreciated, thank you.

20 replies

I have the same issue with my A52s as well. It started happening two weeks ago, I noticed it only from last week onwards, so I couldn’t remember if I updated any setting that would have caused this issue. Any help is appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

the A52 was being looked into. this started right after an update correct? do you by chance remember what update came through? was it to Android 12 or was it by chance a security patch?

Aug security patch, updated on 18th Aug

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

and issues with regular texts as well or no? data issues or just calls?

just calls

I fiddled around with access point names in the settings few times. It worked couple of times,but couldn’t replicate the success

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

interesting. usually if there are call issues your sms texts or non group texts/pic texts will have issues as well.

do you have the list for the APNs? if not i can post that as well

meh..in case anyone else is needing it..

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/not-sold-by-t-mobile/byod-t-mobile-data-and-apn-settings#subhead2

Android APN settings

1. Open the Access Point Names or APNs menu.
    1. In Settings, look under Wireless & Networks or tap the Connections tab.
    2. Touch Mobile network. You may need to touch More settings, More..., or More networks first.
    3. Touch Access Point Names.
  2. Touch the T-Mobile APN if one is available. If not, press the Menu key and touch new APN.
  3. Verify and update the following settings for the Data APN.
    • Name: T-Mobile
    • APN: Fast.t-mobile.com (for LTE devices) or epc.tmobile.com (for non-LTE devices)
    • Proxy: <Not set>
    • Port: <Not set>
    • Username: <Not set>
    • Password: <Not set>
    • Server: <Not set>
    • MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    • MMS proxy: <Not set>
    • MMS port: <Not set>
    • MMS protocol: WAP 2.0
    • MCC: 310
    • MNC: 260
    • Authentication Type: <Not set>
    • APN Type: default,supl,mms OR Internet+MMS
      • Default Android provides a text field to enter: default,supl,mms.
      • Samsung provides an Internet+MMS radio button to select.
    • APN Protocol: IPv4/IPv6
    • APN roaming protocol: IPv4/IPv6 or IPv4 only when roaming internationally
    • Turn APN on/off: Grayed out unless there are multiple APNs
    • Bearer: Unspecified
  4. Press the Menu key.
  5. Touch Save.
  6. Delete any other APNs that appear in the list. The FOTA APN can remain if available.
    • Touch the APN that needs to be removed.
    • Press the Menu key.
    • Touch Delete APN.
  7. Verify there is a circle next to the remaining APN.
  8. Perform a soft reset. Hold down the power button until the device turns off and restarts.
  9. Test the data connection and/or MMS by accessing the Web or sending a picture message.
  10. Complete additional troubleshooting if the APN settings are correct, but customers still experience issues.

It didn’t work. I tried this solution already 10 times.

Also I don’t see MMS Protocol in my phone

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AsJ-NU99nPyKoR3CyTKsj4lqOO-a

The interesting thing is that when a call is made from other phone to my phone, the bars on the top right changes to no network icon for a split second, then the call goes to voicemail.

I am experiencing the same issue with 2 new Samsung A53 5G’s that were purchased in April.  I have noticed the same symptoms reported above.  I will add though that I can receive calls if I am already on a call or just after hanging up from a call.  It seems that if the phone is already connected to a tower for the phone call or still thinks it is calls can be received, other than that calls are not able to be received.  This began happening with the last update.  Neither Samsung or Tmobile have been able to address the issue with many attempts.

Samsung just released a Sep patch for my A52s. After installing the phone started receiving the calls

My A52s  has the same problem...  I didn't get a September patch update yet?

Samsung just released a Sep patch for my A52s. After installing the phone started receiving the calls

My A52s has the same problem... I didn't get a September patch update yet?

Keep checking software update in the settings

Keep checking software update in the settings

😊 

I use the Samsung S20 and the August security patch also broke LTE/5G incoming calls relegating me to force the phone to 3G/2G mode. I just installed the September 1st security patch, but that didn’t fix the problem. I’m still blocked from receiving calls via LTE/5G.

I use the Samsung S20 and the August security patch also broke LTE/5G incoming calls relegating me to force the phone to 3G/2G mode. I just installed the September 1st security patch, but that didn’t fix the problem. I’m still blocked from receiving calls via LTE/5G.

My S20 5G recently got the November 1, 2022 “Android security patch level” and the issue still exists. All incoming calls go directly to voice mail unless I’m already in an existing call.

My old Galaxy S8 stopped receiving phone calls; texts okay. WHAT I FOUND: My phone is only compatible with 3G and 4G. T-Mobile currently is only sending out 4G and 5G (I could be wrong...). I found a setting under “Network mode”, and toggled the switch to “3G/2G”; now the phone works fine.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

My old Galaxy S8 stopped receiving phone calls; texts okay. WHAT I FOUND: My phone is only compatible with 3G and 4G. T-Mobile currently is only sending out 4G and 5G (I could be wrong...). I found a setting under “Network mode”, and toggled the switch to “3G/2G”; now the phone works fine.

All devices now must use the stock implementation of VoLTE on Android to make and receive calls on the T-Mobile network.  

Worked for my S8 also. Thanks, Mark