Solved

Samsung released S4's 5.0/Lollipop update A YEAR AGO. Why don't we have it, other major carriers do

• 17 September 2016
  • 28 replies

I'm pretty upset about this actually. I've been tapping "About Device", checking for updates, on my phone for a long time, but I didn't realize how long until a few minutes ago.

T-Mobile,

Why is there a Lollipop/5.0.1 update available for the Galaxy S4 that we don't have? That's been out for OVER A YEAR.

I go to Samsung expecting them to have only updated the S4 for 4.4.4 KitKat. Which is what I have and have had for a supremely long time. How disappointed, and quite honestly a bit angry, I am that we don't have this update nor have we received any information about it. Other major carriers have it so I'm not quite sure why we do not. T-Mobile provides so many amazing and great services but it can't provide a simple, year old update?

That's not okay. It's very not okay.

Says it's ready right here: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00031483/

icon

Best answer by tmo_amanda 23 September 2016, 03:00

@peachpa,

I know you're wanting some answers as to why your S4 hasn't received a software update. We do not have specific details for you as it could be one or multiple reasons. This may give you some insight: Software update development FAQs. I'm really sorry that I don't have the specifics for you or any info as to when an update can be expected.

-Amanda

View original

28 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

This has been beaten with a stick more times than not. I would explain what happens but the same counter argument is always used. It goes in circles.

The problem is how manufacturers have agreements setup with carriers. Carriers take most of the blame and the short end of the stick.  Showing what happens with the opposite shows how quickly things change. Motorola and HTC felt it first hand and people don't argue about how quick they are.

@peachpa,

I know you're wanting some answers as to why your S4 hasn't received a software update. We do not have specific details for you as it could be one or multiple reasons. This may give you some insight: Software update development FAQs. I'm really sorry that I don't have the specifics for you or any info as to when an update can be expected.

-Amanda

Thank you. I'm still dismayed that it's taking over a year but I'm hopeful it will be released soon. Thanks for the link also. 😊

I hear ya and I wish I had better news for you. At least now you have a tad bit more info on why the software updates take so long.

Have an awesome Friday!

-Amanda

Obviously they do not intent to do the update on the Galaxy S4. I share in your disappointment and agree that one would expect more from their carrier after making such a large purchase. This is especially true when the other carriers have made the update already.

Just root your phone, if it's not under warranty. Don't know why people wouldn't want to root their phones. After a while carriers and even the manufacturers give up on updates. Their priorities shift to newer devices. It's on you to make sure your device is current. Make sure you're running a semi recent reputable build. You know how many known vulnerabilities that Kit-kat running S4 is probably susceptible to at this point? If anything just wait until your hacked then sue the manufacturer and carriers for damages for priceless photos lost, for privacy breached, for costs related to dealing with identity theft.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

That's like saying a person using a windows XP can sue Microsoft because they dropped support for it. Windows 3.1 too. Apple because they dropped 32 bit support. Suing isn't going to go very far. Ultimately its the manufacturer that has to do updates. Every lawsuit for not getting updates against carriers has lost because they only test updates and buys into manufacturer options and they are contractually obligations to adhere to. Due to this Carriers are considered the real customers

Manufacturers can do what Apple does, but chooses not to because that's money in their pockets long before a device is sold and is very lucrative.

Or it's like sayin' YOU should take responsibility for keepin' your device up to date. BTW Microsoft is the manufacturer of Windows XP and that's nothing like that because most the hardware that ran XP can be updated to Windows Vista or 7, 8, 8.1, or 10. You can update software on a Windows system, should you choose to or switch to a current Linux based system or put any other OS you choose to on that hardware.

If a landlord rents you an apartment without a door and you incur a monetary loss because someone robbed you blind. I think you have a case. If a manufacturer and carrier leave a security hole in your device that you can run a truck through - you may have a case. If the carrier lets you know "hey we're no longer supporting your device," then by all means, customers should take that into their own hands and keep their devices as current as they can. If that means you need to root your device - DO IT. If the carrier blocks your device from the network - sue them. We live in a very litigious society. Get what you want.

Also don't forget though that with the lollipop update for the people that got it, a lot of people were complaining about a marked performance and battery life drop with it too. The update did really seem to cause the phone to run much slower.

Yeah. That sucks because I have the S7e and that's what everyone is sayin' about the Nougat update.

We'll have to see. I have the beta still on mine and it seems to run pretty good and battery life has been better for me. But there are a few bugs in it still that they need to fix.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@hochylora wrote:

Or it's like sayin' YOU should take responsibility for keepin' your device up to date. BTW Microsoft is the manufacturer of Windows XP and that's nothing like that because most the hardware that ran XP can be updated to Windows Vista or 7, 8, 8.1, or 10. You can update software on a Windows system, should you choose to or switch to a current Linux based system or put any other OS you choose to on that hardware.

If a landlord rents you an apartment without a door and you incur a monetary loss because someone robbed you blind. I think you have a case. If a manufacturer and carrier leave a security hole in your device that you can run a truck through - you may have a case. If the carrier lets you know "hey we're no longer supporting your device," then by all means, customers should take that into their own hands and keep their devices as current as they can. If that means you need to root your device - DO IT. If the carrier blocks your device from the network - sue them. We live in a very litigious society. Get what you want.

The fact they stopped support for it and YOU have to purchase the newer versions to get support from that point forward is akin to buy new devices because you no longer get updates for that one.

Good luck with that again someone breaking into your house you don't update your locks and even today locks are still very easy to break into.  You can always buy new ones, but the landlord isn't responsible if someone breaks into your house.  😊

OK, this is getting ridiculous, bordering on negligent.  When people spend HUNDREDS of $$$ purchasing a phone from their provider (as that's the only way to ensure all features from said provider, i.e. wifi calling, will continue to work), and the provider just decides to obsolete the phone BEFORE IT'S TWO YEARS OLD is seriously unacceptable.  Of course, the phone can be unlocked and we can install a rooted release of Lollipop, but we'd all lose Wi-Fi Calling, which is honestly the ONLY reason we're T-Mobile customers.

When is T-Mobile going to get to work and release the 5.01 Lollipop update for our Samsung Galaxy S4 phones????

I hope you realize that ANDROID AUTO requires Lollipop to function - so when people spend thousands of dollars on a car, only to have their cell phone provider let them down, it's just not right.

Not to mention the lengthy list of hacks and security breaches that exist with KitKat 4.4.4, T-Mobile, you're running the risk of someone taking action if their data is breached and the update wasn't provided for nearly TWO YEARS.  We're your PAYING CUSTOMERS - when will T-Mobile start responding to us?

WHEN IS LOLLIPOP BEING RELEASED FOR THE GALAXY S4?

We've been clients for 15 years, long before you were even a player in this market, and I've honestly never seen such awful support for such an expensive product.  Samsung has released the update, and other cell providers have implemented the update.  Get on it, or give us a definite that you WON'T be supplying Lollipop, so we can at least make plans to abandon either the phone, or T-Mobile.

In case you need Samsung's link, here you go: Which version of the Android™️ platform does my Samsung Galaxy S4 use?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Doesn't matter what that says.  Samsung has to write that code.  If they don't then that's it.  You can try and take T-Mobile to court on the issue and IF Samsung did finish the code and T-Mobile is sitting on it and they testify to that fact then you'd win, but Samsung plays lame duck or said what they said in courts 6 years ago then T-Mobile will win.

Courts already ruled irregardless where you purchase the phone from.  The manufacturers code needs to be completed based on the agreements the manufacturer sets forth.  If they don't write or complete the code within the agreement carriers are not held liable.  This is why all those lawsuits end up carriers needing to do anything because they don't have control or even touch code like people think they do.

Great - wonderful - so customers of T-Mobile, who apparently can't do anything in court have no legal.  But that's not really my point, or anyone else's I think.  We just want our phones brought up to current software.

All we want is for both Samsung and T-Mobile to stop blaming each other and BOTH support their customers.

I don't think that's a lot to ask, for a phone that isn't even two years old.

But if T-Mobile and Samsung think this IS a lot to ask, I for one just want them to be honest about it, tell us one way or the other so we can make alternate plans, whether that's with LG, Sony, AT&T, Verizon etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I am merely pointing out the facts.

Manufacturers in courts have said "They control their code"  and there are options they give to carriers and they sign contracts for.  So they have to update devices based on agreement.  Carriers don't get the proprietary code and then allow them to modify said code.  So if the contract means Wifi calling,and what not to be coded in then that's up to Samsung to do.  If you take it to court and Samsung says we are still working on it then T-Mobile wins because T-Mobile can't push out an update that Samsung hasn't worked on or haven't finished.  Then the fact that T-Mobile blames Samsung would be correct at that point in a court of law.

Again - taking anyone to court isn't on my agenda.  It does seem to be on your agenda.

I just want a T-Mobile rep to come into this forum (yes, you know who you are - stop reading and start answering) and tell all of us Samsung Galaxy S4 owners why we haven't received our year-old update, and if not, why not, or will we ever.

But for T-Mobile to just go silent is really unacceptable.

Really.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

If you read what I said and understand what I said. It's not about the courts. It's about WHO to leverage.

Carriers have no control like people believe. Just because they release one update for the same phone somewhere else doesn't mean they did work needed for other devices. If Samsung went on record(not a low level rep) said they finished work and T-Mobile not pushing it out then it would be easier to leverage T-Mobile to push said update.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Trying to get T-Mobile to break a NDA is like Snowden leaking classified information. It could be the death of device deals for T-Mobile or even them getting devices on their lineup. Imagine Samsung removed their inventory which makes up 30% of T-Mobile activations. Now imagine if Apple feels T-Mobile may break their agreement with them now and pulled their products. That's over 50% of their customer base. That's something to ponder on how much clout manufacturers really have.

Amanda - it's been since last September since you've responded here.  What is going on with this update?

I think it has been mentioned many times they will just refer you to the update page.  I think on a 4 year old phone you can guess that Samsung isn't planning on an update to LP for it since MM and now NGT have since been.

One thing I don't know if you are aware is that there was a security update released for the TMO variant of the S4 in February.

Software updates: Samsung Galaxy S4

I bought my S4 less than two years ago from T-Mobile, so while some phones may be older, mine wouldn't even be off-contract yet with many companies.  Security updates are nice, but I need Lollipop to be able to run Android Auto, which, has been around for some time.

These days, you are lucky to get two firmware updates over the life cycle of a device. Many devices only get one update. We may not like it, but that's the way it is.

My suggestion is to "vote with your wallet." I will no longer buy carrier branded phones. I now own a Nexus, and enjoy fast updates along with tethering and wifi calling.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Pixels now.

Real OS innovations have been slowing down. Soon I see roughly yearly updates with "flare" just to keep people interested.

I was going to buy a Pixel XL, but Google did not have them available for shipping and the price was pretty steep. I ended up buying a used Nexus 6P and saved a good chunk of change.

I had not considered that innovation has been slowing down, but upon reflection, I think you're right. Flare means very little to me. Good functionality, however, means a lot.