Solved

Samsung S8 Active not wirelessly charging

• 16 December 2017
  • 35 replies

So after a day of use, i come home and place my phone on the wireless charger, the charger lights up but the phone doesnt charge in any capacity. I have 2 chargers and they both do this. Once I reboot my phone, it has no issue with the charger. But that seems tedious to have to do each day. For refernce, my NOTE 8 doesnt do this.

icon

Best answer by drecien 22 January 2018, 05:43

The only thing they've suggested is that the charger is bad. So I'll replace it and try again.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 Active.

Get Outlook for Android

View original

35 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I totally understand this being a bit tedious @drecien . I haven't seen any known issues with wireless chargers but I have a few thoughts. Are you using a compatible charger? Like one specifically sold by Samsung? I suggest checking the software version on the phone and making sure it's up to date. Another step worth trying is putting the phone into Safe mode to see if you're able to charge your phone without having to restart it.

They are both Samsung chargers, one is the 2017 stand up fast charger and the other is the newest special edition lay down fast charger. Ive checked the updates and all software is up to date.

Wireless charging issue is quite common with S8. In case you're using a case try removing it and see if it makes any difference. Not sure but it's worth trying to test with different charging position. Maybe there might be any fault with wall charging slot so try changing it and see. In case you're using a power strip i suggest you to plug it directly to wall. Additionally if you have installed any fast charging app from Google Play just uninstall it (those apps are developed only so that those developers can make money off ads). Let me know if any of the technique works @drecien 😊

Hey, @drecien!

I'm sorry we didn't get back to you sooner. Did you have a chance to try booting your phone up in Safe Mode then try to charge it wirelessly? @hareeshreddy  also had a few great suggestions that I'd give a shot.

Please keep us posted!

The case isn’t an issue, and all the charger components are genuine Samsung. I have noticed, if I use my Samsung car charger and cable on the way home, that seems to trigger it. But I haven’t tested several time yet.

Wow, that's interesting, @drecien  and something that would be good for us to know. By chance, have you had the chance to test this out a few times to see if in fact the car charger is triggering your phone to not charge wirelessly?

So far, after charging with a car or a plug in charger, both Samsung branded chargers. It does prevent wireless charging afterwards. I've tested this 5 times consistently. Hope this helps.

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

Sorry, @drecien, I'm a tad confused by your reply. Are you saying that the 5 times you charged your phone in the car then attempted to wirelessly charge it is when the charging had issues?

Yes. Regular wall charger doesn't affect it. Just car charger.

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

Thanks for confirming this. Since you are using Samsung official chargers, there is nothing else I can think of that would cause this issue. For the best support on this since all the equipment is Samsung branded, I would recommend that you reach out to Samsung directly to report this.

Ok. I will do that. Thanks you for your assistance with this. ?

Sent from my Galaxy S8 Active.

Get Outlook for Android

So far, I haven't encountered an issue wirelessly charging my NOTE 8 yet, however, my NOTE 3 is having issues wireless charging. I'm going to try narrow down to either a hardware, or software issue today with the phone. If your wireless charger is working with other devices it could be software related which I believe might be the cause of my issue as well.  I'll let you know what I figure out.

Just wanted to check in on the suggestions above. 😊

-Lauren

It seems to be just with the samsung fast charging car charger now. tired it both ways and it will not wirelessly charge after using the car charger. both of the wireless pads will sense the phone, light comes on and so does the led on the phone but then they both go off. But a restart on the phone clears it right up. It seem like a software issue to me. Maybe when oreo comes it will fix this. Fingers crossed.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

That's a really interesting find, so thanks for explaining what's happening. Have you also contacted Samsung directly and run this by them? I'm curious what their thoughts are on what you've been experiencing.

I will certainly do that. I'll let you know what they say.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hey there!

Have you heard back from Samsung? Please let us know. Thank you!

They had me clear the cache in safe mode. Didn’t fix the issue.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Aw man. Sorry to hear that didn't resolve it. I do think this is still something we'll need some help with from Samsung. After you tried those steps, did they have any other suggestions for you?

They did but closed the ticket as resolved and I cant find the instructions. So I will contact again and see what I can find out.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Oh man! Sad times. 😥 Have you given Samsung another shot to see if they have any other solutions?

I will, maybe I’ll have to call them and let them troubleshoot.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Sorry we couldn't help more here, but I think contacting them is a good idea. Can you stop by here again and let us know what they say? They may give you something that could be helpful to other folks.

Hey, @drecien!

Just stopping by to see if you've had a chance to contact Samsung yet and if so, were they able to provide any helpful info?

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hi there!

Just checking in to see if you've gotten any suggestions from Samsung. Please give us a reply and let us know if they had something helpful for you to try. Thank you!