Question

Samsung S9 not using bluetooth speakers for phone calls but will use other bluetooth devices for calls

• 5 August 2020
  • 9 replies

Badge

I am having the following issues. I have 3 different Bluetooth speakers that I would like to use for speaker phones while teleworking.  When I make or receive a call it will start connected to them for call audio, but then it will immediately turn it off, some times when I turn it back on it will just turn it back off up to 3 times.

This does not happen in my car, or with my Bluetooth earphones or ear buds.

Devices this happen on 
2x Bose Micro Soundlink
Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth®️ speaker II

Devices not affected by this issue

Car Scion IQ 2013
Bose quiet comfort 35 II
SoundSport Free wireless ear buds

How do I prevent the phone from turning off the speakers when I make a call.

Edit: I got an email saying some one responded with the question “are you trying to run all 3 at once?” (I am not seeing their response here) to this no I am not using all 3 at once, I am only using one at a time.  It just it does happen on all 3 devices when I try them,

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Yeah.  Those should work fine together.  I would try e-mailing Bose and Samsung to see if there might be some sort of compatibility issue with those specific devices.  Samsung’s updates lately across all of their devices haven’t been the greatest.  Bluetooth handoff issues though can be very hard to troubleshoot, which is why it might be best to contact each manufacturer.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

are you trying to run all 3 at once?

Ok I finally see your response. Got the email hours ago and have not seen your response till now.  But...

no I am not using all 3 at once, I am only using one at a time.  It just it does happen on all 3 devices when I try them,

yeah sorry. for whatever reason the TMO site here likes to moderate me..usually doesnt let me posts go through for a good day or two usually..fun times i know lol

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Badge

Ok I finally see your response. Got the email hours ago and have not seen your response till now.  But...

no I am not using all 3 at once, I am only using one at a time.  It just it does happen on all 3 devices when I try them,

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Sources that don’t have a mic can not be used for calls.  

Badge

Sources that don’t have a mic can not be used for calls.  

They have mics.  I know I have used them as speaker phones, I just have to re-enable them 3 times before the phone lets me use them.

Make phone call, phone disables the speaker, I enable it, phone disables, I enable it, phone disables it, I enable it, I can now use it as a speaker phone as it has a speaker.  As you can tell it annoying having to hit the Bluetooth button on the phone screen 3 times 

here are links to the devices having issues, you can look at the pages and see that they do indeed have mics

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/speakers/portable_speakers/soundlink_mini_ii_special.html#v=soundlink_mini_ii_special_triple_black

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/speakers/portable_speakers/soundlink-micro.html#v=soundlink_micro_black

As you can see the have mics and I can even use Alaxa via them even if my phone is in my bag and the speaker is with me.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Okay.  Since the speakers have mics.  Have you tried deleting the device from being paired and then repairing them with the device?  I have personally never used any of my Alexa enabled devices as a speakerphone.  They don’t list the Bluetooth version for those devices though.  It makes me wonder if either the Samsung’s Bluetooth version is not supporting the protocols of the newer speakers or vice versa.  

Badge

Okay.  Since the speakers have mics.  Have you tried deleting the device from being paired and then repairing them with the device?  I have personally never used any of my Alexa enabled devices as a speakerphone.  They don’t list the Bluetooth version for those devices though.  It makes me wonder if either the Samsung’s Bluetooth version is not supporting the protocols of the newer speakers or vice versa.  

Yes. I have unpaired them and repaired them.  I have factory reset the speakers. 

The Bose Micro Soundlink

Wireless Connectivity Bluetooth 4.2
Bluetooth Profiles A2DP 1.3.1
AVRCP 1.6

can not find the Bluetooth version for SoundLink Mini II Special but I would assume similar to the Micro.

The S9

BlueTooth 5.0, A2DP, LE, aptX

As I understand new versions can utilize older versions, and as I can us it as a speaker phone (after turning it on 3 times) they are compatible

Badge

Yeah.  Those should work fine together.  I would try e-mailing Bose and Samsung to see if there might be some sort of compatibility issue with those specific devices.  Samsung’s updates lately across all of their devices haven’t been the greatest.  Bluetooth handoff issues though can be very hard to troubleshoot, which is why it might be best to contact each manufacturer.  

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have not emailed yet, but I have posted to both the Samsung forums and the Bose forums
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S9/Error-with-bluetooth-speakers/td-p/1355239

https://community.bose.com/t5/Portable/Trouble-using-portable-speakers-as-speaker-phones/m-p/536803#M17274