Question

Samsung S9 Plus Battery drain (battery replaced and factory reset)

• 25 March 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge

First of all I have tried these things:

Clear partition

New battery

Factory Reset

I recently received the normal updates / security patches in March to my S9 Plus and the battery has tanked. I couldn't even get a full day on normal use. I tried those things listed above and even now on a new battery, partition wipe and factory reset, I am sitting at 15% with minimal use today at 8PM. I use to get a day and a half before, but it sucks needing to look for a charger around dinner time. Is this a known issue and or should I start looking for a new phone? I really like this phone and don't really feel the need to update other than the garbage battery life.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Did you used to use battery power saving mode? Has it been reset during the attempts to fix things? Have you checked under Device Care > battery to see which apps are eating up your power?

Badge

I did put heavier utilized apps to sleep and I will be switching over to medium power from optimized power as well which is a bit ridiculous as this is a brand new battery. Just for example, I charged my phone back up too 100% at about 10:30 PM. It is now 1:20 AM and I've used it for about the last hour on the web, but sparingly before that after I took it off the charger and I'm at 80%. Here's a screen grab of the last hour and a half or so:

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I'd be interested to see what your SoT (screen on time) was once your battery was in single digits…

Currently, it looks like a fast drain, but I've been able to get close to that with hard use on my Samsung Note.

Badge

It was about 4 hours and 11 minutes or so when I checked at 4%.

Also, I started another thread because I think it has something to do with the new battery that was put in or the phone itself working with the battery because I was able to find this info through Accubattery tonight:

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Looks like a smaller battery was used to replace your old one…:thinking: which could certainly be your problem!