SD card no longer recognized

• 28 February 2017
  • 16 replies

I just upgraded to Nougat and noticed that my SD card wasn't listed in storage. I performed the following to try to troubleshoot it:

Step 1: Force Reboot The Device

Step 2: Clear System Cache Partition

Step 3: Remove Your SD Card And Reinsert

Step 4: Make A Backup Of Your Files To Your Computer/Laptop Then Format SD card

External storage not visible in My Files (SD card not inserted) or storage settings

Step 5: Use Another SD Card Or Buy A New One

Bought a new SanDisk 64 GB Micro SD. My computer can see it ok. Used it to format the micro SD card. Reinserted it into the phone and it is still not visible.

Step 6: Factory Reset Your Device

SD card is still not visible.

Any other ideas?

16 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Wow you've done a ton of work already @ctubby. I'm really surprised after all this it's still giving you trouble. Which model Samsung do you have? Have you also tried using the phone in Safe mode to see if the same thing happens? After you reset the phone, did you test out the SD card first before you put all your data back on the phone?

Userlevel 3

Hey there!  I agree - you've done an impressive amount of troubleshooting solo.  Were you able to test out the additional suggestions Mike offered?  How is everything going?

- Marissa

I am having the same issue with my SD card not being able to be recognized. Has there been a solution to this yet? This is happened since the upgrade on 10/26/17.

Userlevel 3

Sorry to read that, @jadusingh24​! Which device are you using? Have you had a chance to try the same troubleshooting steps as the original poster here -- and if so, have you been able to test out Safe Mode? ​

Same problem here and the T-Mobile "assumed to be resolved" comment only annoys me more.

I have been a T-Mobile customer since it was still Voice Streams (over 15 years).

Excellent online, phone and in-house support ALWAYS!

Got upgraded to Nougat last night and am so thoroughly frustrated with my inability to find or manage my SD card I think it might be time to part ways with Samsung, T-Mobile or both.

Admittedly, as I am aging, I have gone from a Tech-support guru for friends to an idiot savant (without the savant).

Maybe I just need to dig out one of my old flip phones or the Motorola "brick" I have in my garage.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I'm having this same issue. I think it's what is causing my other issues. Have you gotten anything resolved on the matter ? Please advise.

Userlevel 3

Yowch, @pmedic-27​ and @sshields1978​ -- sorry that this same problem just cropped up for both of you! What devices are you using and which SW version are you on now? Do you mind letting us know what troubleshooting steps you've already walked through -- any of those listed by the OP or any of the ones that Mike recommended?

Side notes:

@pmedic-27​, welcome, and thank you so much for hanging around with us for so long! We don't mind gurus, ex-gurus, or growling -- we just want to help you figure out your SD card. 😊 The post is marked as "assumed resolved" because the OP didn't return to let us know the end result -- I'm sorry if that's irksome! It's honestly intended to be transparent that we never really got to the bottom of this, but we're hoping that the OP didn't come back because they worked the issue out on their own.

@sshields1978​ - welcome to you, too! I am sending a PM your way about your username, please take a peek at your inbox when you have a second! Thanks! 😊

Hello again All.

I have Samsung Galaxy S8, it's running Android 7.0. I've tried everything Mike mentioned except getting a new SIM card. Backed up the device, Forced reboit, cleared cashe, Factory reset, reset and manually entered the connection settings, ran multiple virus and device cleaners and uninstalled everything I didn't really need or use, and ran several speed tests. It just is slow and doing weird stuff. Says I have approximately 40GB free space. Last thing to do is get a new sim card, but I think I'll just get a new device if I have to go that route. I'm out of ideas. But open to anything further.

Hi, I have the same issue. I tried to reboot, clear system cache, reinsert. When I connected the  SD card to my Windows computer and intended to back up data, my computer also won’t recognize the card. What should I do? The data in the SD card is so important for me. Any idea?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

SD cards have a lifespan. as much as i hate to say it it might be at the end of said lifespan. it should normally still be able to be recognised though

which pic gallery are you using? if its Google Pics then it might have backed everything up for you

Yes, I’m using Google backups. But I can’t see any wanted files in Google sync. Should I use any data recovery software? Any recommend?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

in your Google backup settings what all is it backing up? if pics are included then they should be stored

Thanks for your kind reply. I’ve followed steps in this tutorial: https://iboysoft.com/data-recovery/sd-card-not-showing-up.html. I went to Disk Management and saw the SD card. I tried repairing the card with chkdsk command lines. But Windows failed to fix errors on the SD card and popped an error message: “Chkdsk is not available for RAW drives”.  So I had no idea but to reformat the card. To avoid data loss, I used iBoysoft Data Recovery recommended in the post. I have good luck with that software. 

I hope this will help someone who are facing the same issue.

I'm having the same issue as the original post... My son's SD card wont recognize in his Galaxy S8 phone?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

is it new and just put in or its been in his phone this whole time and now its not recognized? are the pics in there currently showing as corrupted?

Badge

I have a Samsung Galaxy A425G, my wife has an A14e (?). We switched our phones to T-mobile last year and I purchased 2 SanDisk SD cards, inserted each properly, was not prompted to format the disk on either phone and when I run diagnostics, neither phone recognizes the SD cards.  Except for occasional connectivity issues, we've had no other issues. Are SD cards absolutely necessary for full phone operation and capabilities?

Thank you!