Split group text messages after new update (note8)

Hello,

I recently updated my note8 and now my previous group text messages are split. This is only happening with one person's response in the group. That message would come back to my phone as a whole new group text. How do I fix this? Thanks.

46 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

That's pretty odd. Have you tried sending the same person an individual message to see if the same thing happens? Also, do you know which carrier and what kind of phone the person is using?

I have an individual text to that person and it remains the same after the update. We both are with T-mobile and we both have the note8. That person also updated their software and has been noticing it with their group text messages as well.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Thanks for that info. How long are these messages? Are they just a couple of sentences? I'm wondering if it's breaking it up because of length.

They are short messages. I also noticed that when I receive a photo from that person in our group text, it creates another whole new text group with the same people. So now I have the original group text before the update, a new one with only text replies from the other person, and a new one with any photos shared by the other person.

This is happening to my other group text messages as well.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

If it's just the one person, it could be a setting on their phone causing the hiccup. Can you have them check the Multimedia limit in their Advanced messaging settings?

I don't think that's it. It is happening to that person and their group texts as well. I also found the same issues with other Samsung Note 8 users on Samsung's community support website.

The issue that I have seen with most people is they need to kind of reprogram the messenger app. The 'Chat' settings and Advanced messaging support has to be selected to all unlimited.

But if you have gotten RCS messaging 1.0 you have to set a group chat limit and it should work out.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Is the other person with T-Mobile or another carrier?

The other person is with T-mobile as well. Here is what I've discovered since the update. The original group text thread shows as just a plain message. The new ones being created are considered chats now. The thing is everyone that responds goes directly into the original group except for that one person.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Ah, that's interesting. If you create a new group messages with the same members including the other Note8, do their replies go to that new chat, or are they still separate?

It opens up the original text group. Not any of the new ones.

I have a similar problem. Since the update to Android 9, text messages coming in are sometimes creating new conversations. So I have a bunch of conversations with exactly the same people in them. Someone will send out a message and it will go into one of the conversations, then someone will reply and it seems like random chance as to which conversation it will end up in. Two replies from the same person can end up in two different conversations. Trying to follow this is confusing. FYI, I'm using a Samsung S8.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Thanks for that info. What if you change the phone's network settings to only use 2G? Where do the messages go after that?

I am having this same problem. I would love to hear from anyone who came up with a solution. It is difficult to keep up with whose responding to what and in what order because it keeps splitting the responses among different text groups -- all with the same exact people in them. I can post a message in either group and all recipients will get the message, but the responses will come to carrying groups despite the fact that it's all the same people in each group.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Have you tested messages on 2G as well? I'm trying to isolate this to just Advanced Messaging and that test will really help narrow this down. Thanks.

I can't answer for 2G, but this happens in Wifi and in 4G.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Okay thanks for that info. Can you try testing it on 2G to see if it still happens?

When I switch my phone to 2G only, it shows an "E" instead of 2G and apps seem to just spin.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Apps that may require faster speeds to function faster will do that. We don't need you to keep it on 2G of course, we'd just like to see if the messages don't split. You may want to switch it to 3G to see if the message break apart.

I'm currently struggling with this split text. It is not ideal for me. one group is like a regular group message and the other we have a leaderboard. and when one person responds they'll become the leader and so on and so forth. I am in a group text with IPhone users and my brother is on the same plan with me and in one group I can see his stuff and the other I'm with the two IPhone users and can only see their stuff so I'm going back and forth trying to piece together conversations.

Have we found a solution yet? I've tried everything!!!

Nothing has worked and there has been no solution to this.

2G does not make a difference.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

The issue is with the app rhe personnia uaing to send you the message.  It more than likely isn't up to the new messaging standards and features or they have their app set to send group messages individually.

Not in my case. Everyone in the group message is using the latest update (Android 9) on the T-Mobile network with the same Message app and we have been using group messaging, so the app is set correctly. We haven't changed anything, but the Android 9 update has changed all of us.