Question

Sprint LG V50 phone on T_Mobile

• 1 October 2020
  • 46 replies

Show first post

46 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

T-Mobile is requiring devices to use VoLTE to make and receive calls at some point.  This is what they are talking about.  Some Sprint and imported devices along with some other firmware variant devices will no longer work on T-Mobile once that update rolls out to the network.

I went with the Korean model because there were reported compatibility issues with the Sprint version, and I didn't want Verizon software.

The phone updated automatically to An12.  I don't know where it came from, could have been pushed directly from LG (likely), or possibly from Tmo (unlikely).   As far as apn, after I put my sim in the phone I received a text from Tmo saying the phone had incorrect apn so they would be sent to my phone, which they were.  I manually entered apn's myself to make sure, but I don't think it was necessary.

I am not using the dual screen.  I'm still convinced that the V50, world unlocked model anyway, will continue to work fine with Tmo, but I'll report otherwise when/if it does stop functioning.  It's a shame Tmo never ordered a version of the V50, and I still prefer it for several reasons over the V60.  Mostly the much better rear fingerprint sensor, face recognition, and more manageable size and weight.

I'm still confused about this.  I see that the V50 is indeed not on their compatible voLTE list, but this is what it says above that list on their website…

"Ready to take advantage of faster data speeds? Make sure you have one of compatible devices below. Don’t have the device you need? Without a 4G LTE-compatible device on our network, you’ll still have access to voice, text and picture messaging, and internet at up to 2G speeds"

Thanks for the update -- that’s very encouraging! The indication of call drop to 3G is weird if it’s not really doing that.

I found a mention of Tmo’s Device Assistance > Tutorials page in another thread. Is this a red carpet list of devices? (for non-risk- takers)

BTW, I just got off the phone with a T-Mobile "expert”… They stood behind that a lot of people are bringing phones from other carriers, and mostly the issue is they need a Tmo sim. Of course, I took that with a huge grain of salt, the fellow wasn’t quite tuned in to what I was trying to say, or might be a bit inexperienced in this space. I entered the conversation with a brief overview of the tales within the community, and one simple question: Is the Device Assistance > Tutorials page the end-all for Tmo support? Meaning, if Tmo sold a Tmo-branded phone, and it appears on this page, then will it be supported? (assuming it’s not ancient and supports votle.) Unfortunately I didn’t get a definitive answer or much confidence. Makes me wonder if those non-Tmo phones can make calls, but can’t do VoWifi or some other advanced tricks.

Since I learned of this VoLTE issue I’ve begun to compromise, especially if the phone will be shipped from afar and is effectively nonreturnable. I accept there’s much more to it than a simple “Sure, you can bring your Verizon phone over to T-Mobile.” -- the devil is in the details: What brand is it? did Tmo sell a version of it? does it support VoLTE? will Tmo offer new APNs? All this matters if we want a fully functioning phone and to avoid bootloader-breaking-file-replacing stuff. Tho I started my search with a V50 in mind, I now I’m thinking of sticking to at least a phone that Tmo sold, like the LG G8 G820TM (dual-screen cover be damned). G8 is even a bit smaller than the V50 and still has the nice DAC… but does the screen-speaker suck? (Tho your note on A12 has reassured me a bit on the Korean V50, but if I can’t expect to get 3 years  then I’ll choose another device. And yeah, the V60 is huge)

Update...LG V50 is still working the same as before, no issues as of Today, July 3rd.  Tmo network data is LTE, however calls do drop to 3g (although supposedly Tmo has disabled it).  I suspect that it's possibly showing 3g, but actually connecting LTE.  Wifi voLTE is still working perfectly, as does data and text.

I did switch to the LG V60 a few weeks ago, in anticipation of the V50 being non-functional.  Decided to check today, and it didn't happen.  I'm going to continue to use my V50 until I either find an upgrade I actually want some day, or Tmo disables their network with this phone.  Will update again either way, and still love this phone.  V60 is a great device, but the size and unreliable in-screen fingerprint is a deal breaker, and I think LG made a big mistake with their final flagship not having face recognition.  Doesn't matter since they folded anyway.

The G8 is a great phone, but I switched from that mostly because I wanted the better triple cam and larger battery in the V50.  V50 definitely does take a little better pics and vid than the G8.  But G8 does have a crisper, more vibrant display.  G8 also has quad dac.  I have a G8s (G8 with triple cam, but lower resolution), as well as the Korean version of G8 (exactly like US model, but with triple cam), and both of these work the same as the V50 with Tmo, as in network calls indicate they're dropping to 3g, but work fine.  

And I've had the same experience calling into Tmo...the techs don't really seem to know what phones, other than what's on their list, will work and which one's won't.  But there are many that will, including many unlocked Chinese phones I've found.  An IMEI not listed with them doesn't mean it won't work, it depends more on the 4g and 5g bands the phone has.  Otherwise, I don't think they'd push out apn settings.

Update after 3 days, V50 unlocked Korean version is an awesome phone, awesome features and is working perfectly so far on USA T-Mobile...calls, mms, social media, voLTE, etc. (excluding 5g capability).

So how is it actually working on VOLTE with TMobile? I can't get VOLTE with my Korean v50 at all.

You have to manually enter apn's as described previously in this thread, link is there for instructions.  I believe some software was sent directly from TMobile as well.  I suggest restarting and update software afterwards, if not already done. 

Answering from my LG V50 Korean world phone...still having no issues, data and text working over wifi and LTE no problem.  As pointed out it does show 3g when making a call directly on TMobile network, but voLTE is fine.  Remains to be seen in the coming months if calls on TMobile will become a problem as they upgrade their towers.  I'll update immediately if it ever becomes unusable.

Update 8/31/22...I've gotten text and email notification that my LG V50 is no longer compatible because 3g has been shut down.  Phone continues to work fine whether on WiFi or TMO network for data, calls and text.  Phone says it drops to 3g when calling on TMO network, but I've had no connectivity issues at all.

Will update when/if phone ever does stop working.  

I have 2x LG G8X phones that are going to be cut off soon unfortunately. They were great phones and had the dual screen case which really helped my disabled mom. They literally argued with me that the ONEPLUS Nord or Revvl 5g were "massive" upgrades. Ignoring 1/4th resolution, much lower pixel density, lcd vs oled, less ram, less storage. 1/10th the gpu power and literally 1ghz slower per core across 8 cores is a massive downgrade. They finally offered S20FE devices and they were ordered 24th of January and I've yet to get them 22nd of April.... So I feel you on the disappointment as I just want to keep the G8X phones. It's the same way I felt when I had my note 7 and loved everything about it besides the chance of a battery explosion. They swapped it out 2x times then kept lowering the max charge and I was still ok with keeping it as I never try and charge above 80% from the day I get a phone to prevent battery wear. Then they deactivated them and gave me a junk s7 edge that overheats within 60 seconds. But least with that samsung made it right in the end because I was able to trade in a much older s5 and get either 600 or 800.off the note 8 when it came out. But this time I won't get so lucky.  Your best bets is either paying extra to get a top end phone or take the s21fe, pixel 6 pro, or oneplus 9 pro as those are the best phones they offering now but they will act like they only have revvl 5g and the oneplus nord. 

Update 3/8/22

I've been having some connectivity issues and dropped calls the last week, both wifi and tmo network, and today I'm getting E indicator on my tmo network.  Some sms/mms also failed.  Extremely slow.  So, I don't know if this is a temporary glitch, but looks like it's likely time to reluctantly switch, as I don't think my Korean V50 is connecting to 4g now.  Perhaps tower change in my area?  Don't know.

When I check the IMEI on tmo website, it still indicates full compatibility, but I'm not experiencing that all of a sudden.  Did get another notification from tmo about phone incompatibility as well, maybe true this time. Going to try the V60 again, otherwise I guess Samsung will have to do.  I travel, so I can't take the risk it'll be unusable.  Bummed.

Sorry for the delayed response, but I can't answer your question anyway.  I went with Korean world phone because there may be problems with the Sprint version, but I can't say for sure.  Wish someone with a Sprint V50 could chime in on this. 

Update...traveling I did experience a connection issue with the V50, as in I wasn't able to connect calls, sms or data.  A restart corrected the issue.  Don't know why, but a simple restart corrected it so I consider it minor.  We actually had this happen on a TMobile Gal S21 as well, that's why I knew to try restart to correct.  Maybe a TMobile issue rather than phone.  Otherwise I still love the V50, wish TMO would fully support this phone. 

This phone is AWESOME and I got it SUPER discounted AND UNLOCKED on Ebay.  Be sure to get the extra screen, too!

Had some issues at first with MMS and it going to 3G on calls.  Then, I looked into the web and found someone doing a ## something and it reset my network connections and apn FOR ME!!!

Seemed like a basic thing.  It didn't reset my phone, just the network settings and stuff.

My phone sends mms and doesn't do the 3g thing anymore, AND it reset the APN stuff for me.

Love my V50, just wish I could get the sprint flash when i startup.  Lol

WORTH THE DISCOUNT AND SUPER SIMPLE TO FIX MINOR ISSUES IF YOU'RE PATIENT.

MY V50 WORKS GREAT!

#GuyOnTheHigh

Hello Everyone,

Long time reader first time participating. I abandoned Samsung a long time ago. They do make awesome phone but there are overpriced and my being a single user with a grandfathered plan, no real incentive without adding a line or upgrading or trade-in etc, so I’ve been using LG starting with the V20 to V30 and V40. Unsure but it seems with LG going out of the market I’ve developed a fondness for using the LG V60 but the onscreen fingerprint reader is just too much of a headache and screen pattern not always convenient with using one hand especially if at work and wanting to quickly unlock for a quick peek. . I’d like to get an unlocked GSM Sprint V50 off of eBay. Very good specs and rear fingerprint and I don’t care about 5G really as long as I can use 4G LTE. Anyone here still using Sprint V50 on T-mobile network? I read on reddit that with modifying the apn and the likes, the phone will work great and with volte and no issues. Any thoughts on that based on actual experience and usage? Thank you greatly.

FAMD

I received my global LG V50 and tried it out on TMO in southeastern Mass -- I live right next to Miles Standish forest.  Very Poor reception, but I got a few calls to go through. I had to walk out into an open space (front yard) before any bars would show; inside the house or otherwise there was a little (tiny!) spinning circle icon, and I got “not in service network” (SIC). WiFi calling  is a no-go. I messed with APN settings quite a bit as per apn.gishan.net instructions.

I’ve sadly thrown in the towel on LG. Originally I wanted an LG for the much-talked-about Quad DAC, but not at the expense of call quality. Maybe the LGs work ok in other areas around MA, but it seems not here -- I asked a guy at T-Mobile local store and he claims there were lots of complaints on LGs on reception/call-quality specifically (my geo is a challenge for ALL phones). So even though TMO at one time sold the V60, I’m not going to try that since it and the V50 were both released within a year of each other and my guess is there’s nothing significant about the radio build or bands that would dramatically improve the experience (but I’m open to enlightenment!), even if WiFi calling works.

(TMO has offered a good trade-in value for my new V50 (400 clams), but only for new units priced $1K+, so still deciding whether to trade-up with TMO, or sell/replace via 3rd party channels (online/eBay). The fellow at the local store says, for his tenure here at this store, Samsung Galaxys are the most trouble free with regard to reception issues here (only Samsung in the store with a 3.5mm jack is A13--huge downgrade from any flagship). As for the DAC, my actual of use of headphones is seldom, so I’ll look for a different setup -- maybe an hq external dongle or Bluetooth DAC.)

PS, is anyone else having terrible CloudFront 403 issue on this forum?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

seeing as how your V50 has VoLTE it’ll continue to work..the VoLTE side keeps the calls going over LTE and not 3G...the problem is/was the phones that do not have VoLTE capabilities.

Update 01/27/22:  Got a letter today from T-Mobile saying that my v50 will no longer work with the T-Mobile network as of July 1, 2022.  Bummer, as I still haven't found a replacement phone with the features I'd like from any other manufacturer.  Trying the Velvet now, not thrilled with it, but couldn't handle the size of the v60 at all.  Tried it twice, both times I went back to the v50 within a day.  Fingerprint on-screen is at best annoyingly unreliable on both of the newest LG phones, lack of headphone on newer flagships is my biggest hangup.  May go back to G8 or V40, which would be disappointing to have to do because of battery capacity and lower-grade cameras on both.  Either that or go with mid-level Samsung or other phones because I can get a physical finger print scanner and headphone jack.  I'm open to any suggestions.

Badge

I was able to get a $250 trade in value for my Sprint V50 when switching over to a T-Mobile Pixel 4a 5G today.  

Are you getting decent lg speeds and coverage???

Im sorry i mean lte speeds