Solved

T-Mobile App using excessive battery

• 9 May 2019
  • 3 replies

For the last month, my phone's battery life has become shorter. It used to easily make it through the day, now it often needs a charge by evening. This is going to be a problem, because I'm planning to travel, and want to take pictures with my phone, and may not have a chance to recharge during the day.

When I check battery usage in the Android settings, the T-Mobile app is now always at the top, far above any other app.  Today, it says the T-Mobile App has used 41% of my battery (when the phone dropped to 15% charge by 5PM), using 996 mAh. The next highest app used 5%.  It wasn't like this until the last month.

I do remember an update to the app a while ago, and was prompted whether to allow diagnostics, etc. I initially allowed this. Then, I tried to turn this off, in case the data collection was using my battery. I went to app settings, diagnostics, and unchecked agree under Device Data Collection. When I do this, the next button changes to a close button. I press close. But if I reopen the menu, agree is checked again.  I'm not sure this is really turning data collection off.  Is this data collection what's consuming my battery?  Or is there something else in an update to this app that's using more battery?

I would appreciate if somebody could figure out why this app is draining my battery, and how to prevent it.

My phone is LG-V30, T-Mobile version with all T-Mobile updates including Android 8.0.0 Oreo, postpaid.

icon

Best answer by newhere 10 May 2019, 00:29

View original

3 replies

The app version is T-Mobile 7.10.1.94, if that helps.

Another update, I think I've solved this.  In case anyone else sees this this is how I fixed it:

I went into the Play Store, and uninstalled the updates to the T-Mobile app.  (Uninstalling the app entirely wasn't an option in the settings menu, but the play store allowed me to uninstall updates). I then opened the app, and it promoted me to install the updates again. That happened. This time, I deselected collecting diagnostic and network info.  The app now works the same as before, but it appears it's not draining my battery anymore.  The battery info in the Android settings menu only shows 2% for this app, which is where it was before I uninstalled and re-installed the updates 9 hours ago.

I still don't know if selecting collection of diagnostic or network info that I allowed a month ago was causing this battery drain, or why I didn't seem to be able to stop it in the app settings, but reinstalling the updates has fixed this.

I am having the same issue.  The T-Mobile app hangs at the launch screen, and it absolutely kills my battery duration, even to the point of causing my phone to heat up.  I have to disable the app to preserve battery life.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling all the updates, but that didn't change anything.  My phone is an T-Mobile LG G5 with Android 8.0.0.  It's pathetic that T-Mobile can't get their own apps to work properly on their own phones.