T Mobile should issue refunds for the Revvl 5G

Userlevel 1
Badge

The Revvl 5G blocks a number of important apps from running in the background, such as Life360 and WheresMyDroid.  This, even though they are listed as NOT being battery optimized and should be allowed to run.  The OS lets them run for about an hour, then shuts them down.

After fighting with T-Mobile, trying a million different “solutions” (none of which worked) and also trying to work with Life360 and Where’sMyDroid, I finally gave up.  I paid to get the screen fixed - which had cracked DESPITE being in an Otterbox and having a screen protector (last time I buy an Otterbox, what a waste).  

Just to make that clear - I got it fixed, which means they sent me a new phone.  Exactly the same problem.  So it wasn’t because my particular phone was faulty.

I got the Galaxy A52.  Immediately, everything just works.  No problems.  No hassles.  No idiocy with tweaks that don’t work.

THE REVVL 5G IS A DEFECTIVE PRODUCT.  I’m furious that I had to waste over $200 to find that out.  T-Mobile should do the right thing and issue a refund for anyone who wants one.  

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

you could always contact the manufacturer/check out their forums and see if there is anything you can do to fix it..manufacturers are the ones that make those changes...not the carrier.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Tmobile has a lot of promos where you can trade in a phone and get a new one for free with 24 monthly credits.

OnePlus Nord N200 5G will be exclusively available on T-Mobile & Metro by T-Mobile - TmoNews

Userlevel 1
Badge

i applaud and love this phone for killing social media parasites using up background ram, rom , data, and battery.  

i only wish the one plus t mobile phone did this

Userlevel 1
Badge

Tmobile has a lot of promos where you can trade in a phone and get a new one for free with 24 monthly credits.

OnePlus Nord N200 5G will be exclusively available on T-Mobile & Metro by T-Mobile - TmoNews

I did contact the manufacturer - they were useless.   I understand t-mobile didn't make the phone,  but they put their name on it.  This should have meant they stand behind it and guarantee it works as advertised.   They pushed it in their stores and on their website.  They can't just say “oh, it's not really ours,  we have nothing to do with it. “

Their NAME IS ON IT.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

does the Revvl 5 get signal fine? texts and calls? data? all working correctly minus the background app deal?

Userlevel 1
Badge

does the Revvl 5 get signal fine? texts and calls? data? all working correctly minus the background app deal?

It got the signal (usually) without too much trouble, although here in my house, in my studio, it was a very weak connection.  It’s fine with the A52, and was fine with the Note 5.  Remember, I had TWO Revvl 5g phones, so it’s unlikely both were bad from the factory.

Also, aside from the background app issue - which has completely disappeared on the A52 without my doing anything - there was an issue with putting calls on hold.  Sometimes it wouldn’t let me retrieve the held call.  Also, it would randomly not let me dial out (!)  I’m a freelance tech, and this happened twice during jobs - not good.

But the main thing, which happened ALL the time, was it shutting down background apps.  Since this didn’t happen with my other phones, I am saying the phone series itself is defective.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

its how the manufacturer set it up..or lack of setting it up..as it was pointed out above..carriers have zero to do with how the device itself handles background workings or how it handles apps themselves..thats all on the manufacturer..the carriers only deal with your signal to and from the device.

figure Google kicks out their updates to the manufacturers..the manufacturers then make them work with their devices and then eventually use that same update and add in whatever the carriers need/request.. Revvl for whatever reason made their controls for anything running int the background WAY to aggressive..if it were a issue with Google or TMO then it would be happening to more than just that specific device line..might even check out XDA and see if they have some kind of work around..

Userlevel 1
Badge

its how the manufacturer set it up..or lack of setting it up..as it was pointed out above..carriers have zero to do with how the device itself handles background workings or how it handles apps themselves..thats all on the manufacturer..the carriers only deal with your signal to and from the device.

figure Google kicks out their updates to the manufacturers..the manufacturers then make them work with their devices and then eventually use that same update and add in whatever the carriers need/request.. Revvl for whatever reason made their controls for anything running int the background WAY to aggressive..if it were a issue with Google or TMO then it would be happening to more than just that specific device line..might even check out XDA and see if they have some kind of work around..

Look, I understand that.  You don’t seem to understand this:

We’ve been T-mobile customers for over 16 years.  I've always bought Samsung, once a Google phone, but this time I bought a Revvl 5G.

Why?

Because it was a T-mobile branded phone.  I trusted that, because THEY PUT THEIR NAME ON IT, it would work.  The same reason people buy a washing machine with a specific brand name, even though we all know they don’t actually manufacture them.  The company stands behind the quality of that specific product.

I have learned my lesson.  I trusted T-Mobile to provide a product that they were so confident in, they put their name on it.  The product did not work as advertised.  They turn around and say “Hey, it’s not OUR phone.”

It bloody well says it is.  The name is right on it.  I don’t care WHO made it, they advertise it as their phone, it doesn’t work correctly, they should give a refund to those who ask for it since it doesn’t deliver as promised.

I absolutely agree. As a company, they should not be branding junk like the REVVL 5G.  

The sad thing is, the hardware is pretty solid,   gimped by garbage software and will have NO update to Android 11. My wife opted for the Revvl 4. She received an update to Android 11.The REVVL 5G is not going to get 11 and that...I wish they hadn't lied to me at the store.

I'm baffled that your screen broke from inside an Otterbox. LOL. I've dropped mine a dozen times on to hard surfaces and not even a scratch.

My POS has been trying to update constantly since I bought it in December and always says it can't do it because it doesn't have the storage space to do so.  obviously that's BS but I will rant about that in another thread…

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ

I got a Revvl5G and immediately did an upgrade to Android 11. Unfortunately I dropped that phone and shattered the screen!  I looked around and found a refurbished Revvl5G on Amazon for $129. I bought it, took the SIM card from the broken screen phone and put it in the refurb phone... Nothing!! Well, only WiFi connection. I took it into the Sprint Store (T-Mobile) and they put a NEW SIM card in and got it to connect. When I got home, I did the same system update as on the other phone. It says phone is "All up to date" and "No updates available". I've gone around and around with T-Mobile support via live chat, and they had me try several steps, which never got it to update, but did get it he to the point of no longer connecting to the T-Mobile network, and had me go back to the store, where they put yet another new SIM card and re-provisioned it, so it connects again... but still no update. It clearly shows it's running version 10, with a 6xxx build number (the initial build actually). But I'm not sure that that's the actual version it's running. When I compare screen for screen on the 2 phones, I only see a few icons are different, and a review of all system apps shows very few differences.  I'm gonna give it a few weeks then try again. I think it's just displaying the incorrect version on the system screen... How that's possible?? I fer sure couldn't tell ya...

T-MOBILE REVVL-so sad! I got this phone for my teenage daughter. Of course as she starting to drive I would like to know her location.

Life360 AND all other location apps do not work on this phone. As noted at the top of this thread another customer had a problem. Everything written is true. Worked with several location apps customer service. Nothing worked. I even replaced the phone with a new one @ T-Mobile. Same issue.I will say my husband has an OLDER REVVL-no issues. It’s only in the REVVL 4 and up.
I agree - put your name on a phone it is your company‘s responsibility!!! 
T-Mobile-PLEASE stop putting your name on a defective product. 

I agree Realex, and I’m inputting some info for the purpose of encouraging others to not buy this phone.  

It feels like nobody bothered to use it.  The buttons are placed in awkward places, so a screenshot is gymnastics with your fingers and likely body as well.  You can’t really use a selfie stick because there’s so much space between the volume buttons on the left and the power on the right that the only place to place a selfie stick or similar holder is down at the very bottom, or very tip top.  Either one pretty much assures it’s going to fall as it has no chance of balancing or truly fitting in the holder.  

I’ve had mine for about 9 months, and the bottom right space, where I click to see pictures I’ve just taken, has quit being sensitive, so I can press it all day long and never get the pic to show up.  Obviously I can go out to Photos or wherever and look at them --- the point is that there are numerous reasons for its cheap price.  You get what you pay for and this is nothing but a huge headache.  

Also, it just decides from time to time that it’s no longer authorized to work (I can’t recall the phrase it uses), so it’ll lock up.  Once I finally get it unlocked, everything (all apps and websites) no longer know me and want me to create an account.  I go to do it, just to access what I want, and it’ll recognize that somebody with my phone number already has an account so won’t let me.  It’s just headache after headache. 

Also, the volume for the ringer and the volume for notifications are one in the same, so if you want to hear your calls, you have to hear your notifications as well.  How did that happen?  Laziness is what it seems to me, mixed with not using it before releasing it.  Yes, I can go in and turn off notifications for every app, but I’d like to turn them off for a short amount of time while still being able to hear my phone ring.  That’s not expecting too much, right?  A little common sense?  

I will say though that I’ve dropped it many times without a case on it, and the screen hasn’t broken in the last 9 months, however, the first one I got did break about 5 months into having it.  (I replaced it as the cheap option and what I could afford.  If finances were different, I would have just got a new phone that’s nothing at all like the Revvl V+ 5G.)

I bought my Revvl at Wal-Mart, and guess what?  Wal-Mart doesn’t carry even one case for it.  The number of cases available for it is quite low.  Makes for an easy choice!  

There’s more, but I’m done putting time into this right now.  

Just don’t buy it unless you’re truly desperate and willing to deal with a phone that seems to have never been used by the manufacturer or T-Mobile before releasing it.  Is it too much to expect new phones are truly used and tested before hitting the market?  I don’t think so - especially at the price they come.