T-Mobile updates IMEI checker to include EIP

Did you all here about this??

@tidbits @smplyunprdctble @gramps28 @jfuente11 @drnewcomb2 @theartiszan

Hello @stevetjr! We appreciate your feedback. Being the Uncarrier, we are always listening to our customer's pain points and creating solutions for them. We have updated our IMEI Verify Tool to include if a device is on an equipment installment plan. You can check this out here: Check if Your Phone is Eligible for the T-Mobile 4G Network | IMEI Status Check.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

It did show it before, but the message seemed to clear up better.  I think they were probably seeing what they can legally show without possibility of being held liable for invasion of privacy.  I could be wrong though.  I never used the tool as I always buy unlocked or from people I trust.

Userlevel 6

hrmm... my IMEI isn't in it... I wonder if it's because my N5 came from Google? 😊

I do like the fact T-Mobile is including EIP in the IMEI check.  That way peeps can know if there's a risk of not paying it off.  Probably eliminates about 95% of the risk, I'd guesstimate.

Definitely a good thing, how many have we all seen on the forum recently with people that bought phones on "some site" only to have it blacklisted 2 months after they started and the left x hundreds of dollars in the hole.

I agree.

This was a great decision on their part and get included.

This will allow people to buy used devices with less worry about the non payment problem buying used T-Mobile devices used to carry.

I like it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

still doesn't negate the fact is someone reports it stolen it won't get locked out.  Some people are mean like that.

Userlevel 6

tidbits wrote:

still doesn't negate the fact is someone reports it stolen it won't get locked out.  Some people are mean like that.

That's why I said it eliminates most of the risk.  There's still the jerkfaces who will buy a phone, sell it, claim it on insurance and get a new device.  But, I'd like to hope the insurance process is enough of a pain to deter most of this.

I think the final step to this is the ability to put a device in a list of "I'm going to sell this one" devices -- so they relinquish insurance and thievery claims (although, I doubt someone would register a stolen claim unless they had insurance)..

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Same here with my Moto X.

smplyunprdctble wrote:

hrmm... my IMEI isn't in it... I wonder if it's because my N5 came from Google?

I do like the fact T-Mobile is including EIP in the IMEI check.  That way peeps can know if there's a risk of not paying it off.  Probably eliminates about 95% of the risk, I'd guesstimate.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Even if you put I am going to sell device what if it was never sold and a month later it was stolen.

That's what people do. Sometimes people would their S5 with a broken screen for $200 and then report it lost/stolen and use that money to pay the deductible for example. Sometimes people do it to smite people for the fun of it.

Thanks for the info @stevetjr!

Very helpful indeed! 😊

Does anyone know if the checker still checks EIP? I'm looking at a used LG G4 on Ebay, and got the IMEI from the seller. The IMEI checker says it's good, but there's no details as to what that means - does that include both checking for blocks and whether it's under EIP, or is it just checking for blocks?

Also, anyone know how accurate checkesnfree.com is?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

IMEI Status Check | See if Your Phone Works on T-Mobile 4G Network

If you get the message below it means it is on a payment plan.  If not then it is paid off.  HOWEVER someone could say the phone was stolen/lost at a later date.  This can happen with ANY carrier.

Now if it isn't a T-Mobile device it will kick an error saying there is no information for said device so you may need to check somewhere else.

Awesome - thanks for the clarification! The vague success message leaves something to be desired.

Does anyone know when the imei checker database updates?

I ask since my wife paid off her iphone 6plus eip balance last week yet as of yesterday it still shows that it has a balance outstanding. Off putting for potential buyers.

Was paid for in store with receipt to prove.