T-Mobile updates IMEI checker to include EIP

Did you all here about this??

@tidbits @smplyunprdctble @gramps28 @jfuente11 @drnewcomb2 @theartiszan

Hello @stevetjr! We appreciate your feedback. Being the Uncarrier, we are always listening to our customer's pain points and creating solutions for them. We have updated our IMEI Verify Tool to include if a device is on an equipment installment plan. You can check this out here: Check if Your Phone is Eligible for the T-Mobile 4G Network | IMEI Status Check.

13 replies

Does anyone know when the imei checker database updates?

I ask since my wife paid off her iphone 6plus eip balance last week yet as of yesterday it still shows that it has a balance outstanding. Off putting for potential buyers.

Was paid for in store with receipt to prove. 

Awesome - thanks for the clarification! The vague success message leaves something to be desired.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

IMEI Status Check | See if Your Phone Works on T-Mobile 4G Network

If you get the message below it means it is on a payment plan.  If not then it is paid off.  HOWEVER someone could say the phone was stolen/lost at a later date.  This can happen with ANY carrier.

Now if it isn't a T-Mobile device it will kick an error saying there is no information for said device so you may need to check somewhere else.

Does anyone know if the checker still checks EIP? I'm looking at a used LG G4 on Ebay, and got the IMEI from the seller. The IMEI checker says it's good, but there's no details as to what that means - does that include both checking for blocks and whether it's under EIP, or is it just checking for blocks?

Also, anyone know how accurate checkesnfree.com is?

Thanks!

Thanks for the info @stevetjr!

Very helpful indeed! 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Even if you put I am going to sell device what if it was never sold and a month later it was stolen.

That's what people do. Sometimes people would their S5 with a broken screen for $200 and then report it lost/stolen and use that money to pay the deductible for example. Sometimes people do it to smite people for the fun of it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Same here with my Moto X.

smplyunprdctble wrote:

hrmm... my IMEI isn't in it... I wonder if it's because my N5 came from Google?

I do like the fact T-Mobile is including EIP in the IMEI check.  That way peeps can know if there's a risk of not paying it off.  Probably eliminates about 95% of the risk, I'd guesstimate.

Userlevel 6

tidbits wrote:

still doesn't negate the fact is someone reports it stolen it won't get locked out.  Some people are mean like that.

That's why I said it eliminates most of the risk.  There's still the jerkfaces who will buy a phone, sell it, claim it on insurance and get a new device.  But, I'd like to hope the insurance process is enough of a pain to deter most of this.

I think the final step to this is the ability to put a device in a list of "I'm going to sell this one" devices -- so they relinquish insurance and thievery claims (although, I doubt someone would register a stolen claim unless they had insurance)..

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

still doesn't negate the fact is someone reports it stolen it won't get locked out.  Some people are mean like that.

I agree.

This was a great decision on their part and get included.

This will allow people to buy used devices with less worry about the non payment problem buying used T-Mobile devices used to carry.

I like it.

Definitely a good thing, how many have we all seen on the forum recently with people that bought phones on "some site" only to have it blacklisted 2 months after they started and the left x hundreds of dollars in the hole.

Userlevel 6

hrmm... my IMEI isn't in it... I wonder if it's because my N5 came from Google? 😊

I do like the fact T-Mobile is including EIP in the IMEI check.  That way peeps can know if there's a risk of not paying it off.  Probably eliminates about 95% of the risk, I'd guesstimate.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

It did show it before, but the message seemed to clear up better.  I think they were probably seeing what they can legally show without possibility of being held liable for invasion of privacy.  I could be wrong though.  I never used the tool as I always buy unlocked or from people I trust.