Solved

Tablets that can be used like a phone

• 9 February 2017
  • 34 replies

Are there any tablets folks have used that work like a phone to make and receive phone calls. Not talking about voip whatsapp or Hang outs or Skype.

Basically an LTE device fully functional with a in built dialer that one can insert and use their t mobile voice sim card into.

icon

Best answer by tmo_mike_c 16 February 2017, 20:36

View original

34 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

also just because samsung has offer certain services on their devices does not meant that we are locked into using them just because its their product on their device. example; samsung internet is simply another browser that comes preinstalled as an app and the same as chrome or firefox or edge. we have options when it comes to the app we choose to use to message with, whether it be a preinstalled message app or messenger another app provided by facebook and just because google offers voice service it is an internet service not a cellular voice service. to be a true phone with voice does not mean just an dialing pad app from playstore or marketplace or galaxy store or wherever you can get apps at it is a built in part of a device.

It’s what they want.  That’s what they code for.  If you have a problem with it take it up with them.  As they specifically pointed out Tabs can’t make phones calls all around the world not just in the USA, but you can use their built in service if you have their phone.  Their own knowledge base says exactly this.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Also as I pointed out with the unlocked Note 10.1 cellular version it could make phone calls with ANY GSM carrier.  If there is no provision for it that’s total BS as it still works to this day.  Samsung removed the ability on their own worldwide and forces you to use their service or pick a VOIP service.

Badge

Also as I pointed out with the unlocked Note 10.1 cellular version it could make phone calls with ANY GSM carrier.  If there is no provision for it that’s total BS as it still works to this day.  Samsung removed the ability on their own worldwide and forces you to use their service or pick a VOIP service.

I apologize. I will let you believe whatever you want, it really doesnt matter. My tablet does what I need it to and that is what matters to me. But thanks for your throughput anyway, it was virtually useless. To that an End. As you were.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I apologize. I will let you believe whatever you want, it really doesnt matter. My tablet does what I need it to and that is what matters to me. But thanks for your throughput anyway, it was virtually useless. To that an End. As you were.

Just for reference. I was a developer for Sony Mobile for over a decade. Also my brother works for Samsung in Korea as a developer as well. 

Look up Note 10.1. Not the recently released 10 or 10.1. It came out after the Note 3 and before the Note 4. It was unlocked and made phone calls. When the Note 4 was released Samsung removed phone app for all their tablets going forward. See below as to why. People have sideloaded or even tried coding in phone calling capabilities,  but have failed. There's a simple reason why it has failed and has nothing to do with carriers and tin foil conspiracies. It has to do with profits. Android is not 100% open source. There are proprietary bits that are needed. You need licensing and also testing which cost $$$ and time. Check out the licensing for your tablet and see if the FCC approved it for calling. No? Well Samsung didn't run it through so it will never get that ability. That's why the proprietary bits will not be found because they don't have any intention on it working or spending money to give that feature. 

Another example Nexus 4 with 4G and Google removing the proprietary bits to make it stop working because of no licensing. They could have just ran it through. It was cheaper for them to remove the bits and keep the price point as cheap as they had it. 

You can always import one that has that ability and make phone calls but keep in mind the frequency support might not line up because it isn't intended for our market. My car has a radio that has a sim port from Singapore and I have my digits sim in it. I can make phone calls surf the web and such, but only at 2G. When T-Mobile retires 2G in my area those features will stop working. 

Badge

I had a separate digits line data only as one of the posters mentioned and i ended up converting that to another straight line fo the same pice and gave it to a member of my family.. I still wanted to use my tablet as a phone so here is what I ended up doing.

I purchased an iPad and I purchased unlimited data with it.

On the IPad I downloaded the tmobile digits app.

I purchased a pair of wireless ear buds.

My cell phone with the SIM is home and turned off and i use the ipad to make and receive calls.

I do have some issues with text - I can text anyone --I do not receive all texts paricularly short codes.

It is T mobile and other carriers that limit usages. T mobile has admitted to that themselves. 

So a good example of that is the Samsung tab A7 lite. This tablet is advertised and listed by Samsung as having phone functionality. But T Mobile removed the phone app that does come with it from factory. If you buy one unlocked from Samsung, it will have a phone app. T mobile itself blocks tablets from having phone access. Sometimes you can slip past with devices from over seas or unlocked versions. But don't even tell a t mobile rep that you have it. Or t mobile will block your device. I have used Huawei tablets as phones. And while there are ways to mask or even change an imei, a WAP address isn't as easy. If one was to want to use a tablet as a phone that was t mobile branded, they would need to wipe t mobile from the device and somehow mask the device from being identified by t mobile. If you want to use a tablet as a phone, the easiest way is to find a device that t mobile doesn't already have blocked in their system and policies. Huawei used to be great for that. Or you use a factory unlocked device on a carrier that doesn't care. Trackphone doesn't usually care from what the device is. Family mobile from Walmart. Family mobile is t mobile too. 

I'm using a Tab A lite lte for calling on mint and alternatively on hello mobile.

It's the providers that restrict calling capable tablets.

My Samsung tablets used to be able to make and receive calls. However, since sometime last month, T-Mobile might have changed something I needed to sign into the account again, but no avail -- error message “invalid oauth parameters”. When I called T-Mobile, I was told that it will work with Android 8 and above. I purchased a new tablet with Android 13 but I still cannot sign in, same error message.

When I called T-Mobile, I was told that Digits is designed to work with phones, not tablets. Why then on the T-Mobile Digits site still listed that Digits can work with Tablets? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

My Samsung tablets used to be able to make and receive calls. However, since sometime last month, T-Mobile might have changed something I needed to sign into the account again, but no avail -- error message “invalid oauth parameters”. When I called T-Mobile, I was told that it will work with Android 8 and above. I purchased a new tablet with Android 13 but I still cannot sign in, same error message.

When I called T-Mobile, I was told that Digits is designed to work with phones, not tablets. Why then on the T-Mobile Digits site still listed that Digits can work with Tablets? 

because DIGITS is making/receiving said call via data..not the voice side..through the app itself..basically like using FB messenger and face timing someone..same thing.