TMo is and native visual voicemail

Show first post

155 replies

And the moment I received that text from T-MOBILE about installing their version I didn't. I even went as far as reporting it as spam because the second they broke it, they immediately sent out that text to their customers. I've not used their VVM app ever and I'm not going to now. I buy factory unlocked devices to help avoid unnecessary carrier bloatware.

J. Davis on Android

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 8:32 PM, magenta2449296<no-reply@t-mobile.com> wrote:

#yiv5552222776 * #yiv5552222776 a #yiv5552222776 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv5552222776 #yiv5552222776 h1, #yiv5552222776 h2, #yiv5552222776 h3, #yiv5552222776 h4, #yiv5552222776 h5, #yiv5552222776 h6, #yiv5552222776 p, #yiv5552222776 hr {}#yiv5552222776 .yiv5552222776button td {}

|

T-Mobile Support

|

|

It sucks TMo is disabling android native visual voicemail

reply from magenta2449296 in Android products - View the full discussion

10% may be high, and it won't be all at once.  If you use voicemail, visual or not,  and if you use your phone for business, then the app solution does not work.  It is not merely inconvenient, it triggers a carrier change.  It will take time, since they are rolling out slowly, and there are complaints dating back to December 2017, but I think their churn overall will increase.

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on T-Mobile Support

Start a new discussion in Android products by email or at T-Mobile Support

Following It sucks TMo is disabling android native visual voicemail in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by T-Mobile Support because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from T-Mobile Support, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

|

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

"T-Mobile Churn rate is +4.7% last I remember.  If they were losing customers it would be -.  They have more people coming in than going out, and that's what matters."

That's part of the problem.  Nobody really knows what's going on is the bigger problem.  If it's a bug in upgrading the network, then tell people that. It's rather odd that a telecommunications giant can't or won't let people in on the problem. Let's see how you feel when they disable it on your devices and you're forced to use their outdated app.  People are just voicing their frustrations because a feature that once worked now doesn't, not sure how that's a conspiracy.  Not one T-Mobile rep has responded to this thread so it's obviously a small blip but it's still a blip.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

What people fail to realize here, is that it is easier for T-Mobile to maintain a single app through their contracted app developer.  If an OEM decides to take the time to make their VVM app or implementation compatible with T-Mobile's system.  That's great, but OEM's are getting lazy and not wanting to maintain bloat and such for every different carrier.  T-Mobile provides their basic bland app, which works.  On other devices, the native apps still work fine.  Thinking T-Mobile is disabling access to their VVM through third party apps is silly! 

On the OnePlus, rolling back the dialer to an earlier version makes it work again.  I did this for a friend who is running the International version.  I have the T-Mobile app on my a OnePlus 7 Pro and that works.  If I swap my SIM into my Nexus 6P, the native app works.  Clearly, the implementation as to whether it works or not is on the software being used.  Playing the blame game just annoys people, which honestly is an issue on these boards.  If people took the time to understand and learn a little about what they are complaining about instead of listening to frontline reps that have the sole duty of getting you off the phone quick and will say anything to do so.  Then complaints to the right company would go a long way in getting those issues resolved and quicker. 

syaoran wrote:

What people fail to realize here, is that it is easier for T-Mobile to maintain a single app through their contracted app developer. If an OEM decides to take the time to make their VVM app or implementation compatible with T-Mobile's system. That's great, but OEM's are getting lazy and not wanting to maintain bloat and such for every different carrier. T-Mobile provides their basic bland app, which works. On other devices, the native apps still work fine. Thinking T-Mobile is disabling access to their VVM through third party apps is silly!

On the OnePlus, rolling back the dialer to an earlier version makes it work again. I did this for a friend who is running the International version. I have the T-Mobile app on my a OnePlus 7 Pro and that works. If I swap my SIM into my Nexus 6P, the native app works. Clearly, the implementation as to whether it works or not is on the software being used. Playing the blame game just annoys people, which honestly is an issue on these boards. If people took the time to understand and learn a little about what they are complaining about instead of listening to frontline reps that have the sole duty of getting you off the phone quick and will say anything to do so. Then complaints to the right company would go a long way in getting those issues resolved and quicker.

Rolling back the dialer on native android does not work: just tried it.

The issue is is that the "OEM" here is Google Android itself and that is not a good "OEM" to sabotage and to alienate its ever growing fan base.

The native android dialer is not just used by Google itself but also other OEMs who have adopted AndroidOne (no bloatware) program such as Nokia and many others (https://www.android.com/one).

So TMo should really think twice on supporting that instead of its crappy VVM for android! OEMs not using AndroidOne have either their big dev teams to lock you in in their bloatware (Samsung) or are obsolete anyway.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Which version of the OnePlus 7 Pro's dialer did you rollback to?  I would have to confirm it with my friend, but I believe we used the version from 9.5.3 international firmware from apkmirror.

I don't have OnePlus. I have Nokia 6.1 that uses stock android dialer. Presently it's version 34.05.260231412. I reverted it back to the factory installed by uninstalling all updates. It didn't help. This worked before May-ish when it stopped after I got the infamous TMo VVM SMS.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

user401 wrote:

I don't have OnePlus. I have Nokia 6.1 that uses stock android dialer. Presently it's version 34.05.260231412. I reverted it back to the factory installed by uninstalling all updates. It didn't help. This worked before May-ish when it stopped after I got the infamous TMo VVM SMS.

Exactly what did this mysterious sms say?  I got one before, BUT it was advertising that they had VVM and one could download the T-Mobile app with a provided link.  It made no mention of Forcing people off 3 party alternatives like the built in one.  Mine still works and I have installed the T-Mobile version before, and use T-Mobile branded versions before.  If they are doing what you say they are doing I should have lost mine a long time ago.

tidbits wrote:

user401 wrote:

Exactly what did this mysterious sms say? I got one before, BUT it was advertising that they had VVM and one could download the T-Mobile app with a provided link. It made no mention of Forcing people off 3 party alternatives like the built in one. Mine still works and I have installed the T-Mobile version before, and use T-Mobile branded versions before. If they are doing what you say they are doing I should have lost mine a long time ago.

It was more than advertising. More like, you have to use our app if you want to use VVM. I promptly deleted it as I already had a working native VVM so didn't need the bloat that I specifically try to avoid by using an AndoroidOne phone. Unfortunately, a couple of weeks after that my native VVM stopped working.

If you are still unaffected like you say you are consider yourself lucky. Also chances are that you are not using the native android vvm from latest official android (9 pie) but some old OEM dialer from an old android distro.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

user401 wrote:

tidbits wrote:

user401 wrote:

Exactly what did this mysterious sms say? I got one before, BUT it was advertising that they had VVM and one could download the T-Mobile app with a provided link. It made no mention of Forcing people off 3 party alternatives like the built in one. Mine still works and I have installed the T-Mobile version before, and use T-Mobile branded versions before. If they are doing what you say they are doing I should have lost mine a long time ago.

It was more than advertising. More like, you have to use our app if you want to use VVM. I promptly deleted it as I already had a working native VVM so didn't need the bloat that I specifically try to avoid by using an AndoroidOne phone. Unfortunately, a couple of weeks after that my native VVM stopped working.

If you are still unaffected like you say you are consider yourself lucky. Also chances are that you are not using the native android vvm from latest official android (9 pie) but some old OEM dialer from an old android distro.

Devices I have used in the last year.  As you can see the Pixels are on the most current non official but before that they were on the most current version of Android.  VVM works for me without a problem.  Yes I have a ton of devices and go through them like my wife does with shoes. 😊

Pixel 2(Q Beta), Pixel 3(Q Beta), Note 9 (unlocked), S9+ unlocked, S10+(unlocked), Xperia One (unlocked), OnePlus 6T and 7 Pro(unlocked).  What I have preordered ROG phone 2, Note 10+(unlocked), and probably sell off some phones.

So ur argument is since text didn't specifically state that "We from T-Mobile broke the native VVM dialer app" that's impossible? This FREE feature has been available since 2015 and now it's 2019 but, it no longer functions properly?

J. Davis on Android

On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 8:21 PM, tidbits<no-reply@t-mobile.com> wrote:

#yiv9389134212 * #yiv9389134212 a #yiv9389134212 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv9389134212 #yiv9389134212 h1, #yiv9389134212 h2, #yiv9389134212 h3, #yiv9389134212 h4, #yiv9389134212 h5, #yiv9389134212 h6, #yiv9389134212 p, #yiv9389134212 hr {}#yiv9389134212 .yiv9389134212button td {}

|

T-Mobile Support

|

|

reply from tidbits in Android products - View the full discussion

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

magenta5733023 wrote:

So ur argument is since text didn't specifically state that "We from T-Mobile broke the native VVM dialer app" that's impossible? This FREE feature has been available since 2015 and now it's 2019 but, it no longer functions properly?

J. Davis on Android

On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 8:21 PM, tidbits< @admin_1> wrote:

#yiv9389134212 * #yiv9389134212 a #yiv9389134212 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv9389134212 #yiv9389134212 h1, #yiv9389134212 h2, #yiv9389134212 h3, #yiv9389134212 h4, #yiv9389134212 h5, #yiv9389134212 h6, #yiv9389134212 p, #yiv9389134212 hr {}#yiv9389134212 .yiv9389134212button td {}

|

T-Mobile Support

|

|

reply from tidbits in Android products - View the full discussion

It was never free. It was bundled in with your plan advanced VVM is a pay service that transcribes the messages.  The text I have seen quite a few times about VVM was about letting people know they have the option. Every one of my lines has gotten that text before. 

So your argument is that because it doesn't work for you then T-Mobile is trying to charge you for something they offered for free before while it is working for a lot more people than it isn't working for.

Welcome to the internet surf around other carrier boards from around the world. Not everything works as intended for everyone.  It isn't a conspiracy for a cash grab.  As I said I have not seen or heard any text or email for the past 3 years about T-Mobile charging for basic VVM service. If they were fan sites would already be all over it because anything that breaks "Google's" vision needs to be heard. I mean look at Google Pay when it first came out and all that fanfare it got as an example.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

VVM was never free or if you want to spit hairs, included in the service we pay for?  I've always understood the transcribing to be extra but not regular VVM.  What most here are talking about is not transcribing but native VVM in the stock android dialer.  It's broke or has been removed from certain devices.

I think most people here have no idea why it's not working and are looking for answers.  It also seems like you think people are making this up.  I'm referring to the standard VVM that has worked fine for years on certain devices with or without transcribing now doesn't.  I don't care if transcribing works or not and I'm fine if T-Mobile wants to charge extra for it, just want to know why regular VVM is now broke.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Maybe support for those legacy devices was discontinued.  The older a device, the less likely compatibility with features will be maintained.  On the flip side, it just might not have had the correct code added in for some newer devices to maintain compatibility.  The best way to figure it out would be to send a message or bug report to the app developer and hope it is resolved sooner than later.

Why are you even in this thread? You aren't having a problem, and you don't even understand the issue the rest of us are talking about. You keep referring to the wrong thing.

syaoran wrote:

Maybe support for those legacy devices was discontinued. The older a device, the less likely compatibility with features will be maintained. On the flip side, it just might not have had the correct code added in for some newer devices to maintain compatibility. The best way to figure it out would be to send a message or bug report to the app developer and hope it is resolved sooner than later.

It has nothing to do with support for older devices. It's an Android feature (not t-mobile) that has existed for a long time and still exists in the latest version. I have two of the identical phones and it worked on one and not the other. Then months later it stopped working on the 2nd one. T-mo did something to break the functionality. I spent over an hour on the phone with a rep trying different solutions, and their final solution was "use the t-mo app instead." Many people in this thread are in the same boat. We have communicated with them via phone and other ways. NO ONE FROM T-MO WILL EVEN ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THEY CHANGED ANYTHING. And the people that made the change have clearly not even informed the support staff. That is why we are here in this thread. Someone needs to acknowledge the issue and either say it was a mistake or intentional.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

syaoran wrote:

Maybe support for those legacy devices was discontinued. The older a device, the less likely compatibility with features will be maintained. On the flip side, it just might not have had the correct code added in for some newer devices to maintain compatibility. The best way to figure it out would be to send a message or bug report to the app developer and hope it is resolved sooner than later.

Maybe so but I seriously doubt it.  Message or bug report to the app developer? It's not an app.  Speculation is all we have in this forum.  That is the major problem, everybody has a theory or a "conspiracy" as someone likes to keep referring to.  We don't know what exactly has happened and are just looking for answers.  This is obviously the wrong place since not one single T-Mobile rep has said anything.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

It works through an app and that varies by device.  The dialer in Android devices is still an app!

Why would I believe that people are making this problem up when my Essential Ph-1 is having this same problem? Plus, VVM was FREE; I've never paid for that service which came built into the OS of my phone's.

J. Davis on Android

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 6:36 AM, magenta6790580<no-reply@t-mobile.com> wrote:

#yiv4235434931 * #yiv4235434931 a #yiv4235434931 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv4235434931 #yiv4235434931 h1, #yiv4235434931 h2, #yiv4235434931 h3, #yiv4235434931 h4, #yiv4235434931 h5, #yiv4235434931 h6, #yiv4235434931 p, #yiv4235434931 hr {}#yiv4235434931 .yiv4235434931button td {}

|

T-Mobile Support

|

|

reply from magenta6790580 in Android products - View the full discussion

VVM was never free or if you want to spit hairs, included in the service we pay for?  I've always understood the transcribing to be extra but not regular VVM.  What most here are talking about is not transcribing but native VVM in the stock android dialer.  It's broke or has been removed from certain devices.

I think most people here have no idea why it's not working and are looking for answers.  It also seems like you think people are making this up.  I'm referring to the standard VVM that has worked fine for years on certain devices with or without transcribing now doesn't.  I don't care if transcribing works or not and I'm fine if T-Mobile wants to charge extra for it, just want to know why regular VVM is now broke.

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on T-Mobile Support

Following It sucks TMo is disabling android native visual voicemail in these streams: Inbox

You may unsubscribe instantly from T-Mobile Support, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

|

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hey bud, I'm on your side.  My response was to tidbits FYI.  Tip, there's a (in response to....) after the date and time.  You're quoting my message and a portion of tidbits.  Just wanted to make it clear that I also have the problems and with a PH-1 to boot.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Visual Voicemail is a provider side feature.  There might be apps included with the OS that do support the feature, but the feature itself is tied to your phone number, not your device.  What an app supports, does not support, and how that support changes over time is almost always a result of something changing in the app.

If you actually think T-Mobile's VVM system is so comex, that it will play favorites with devices.  I am going to say, that is silly.  That would be asking for issues that would arise with every device update and app that supports VVM access.  The system is simple.  It works like your APN.  If the settings are correct, it works!  If those settings are not correct, it doesn't work. 

syaoran wrote:

Visual Voicemail is a provider side feature. There might be apps included with the OS that do support the feature, but the feature itself is tied to your phone number, not your device. What an app supports, does not support, and how that support changes over time is almost always a result of something changing in the app.

If you actually think T-Mobile's VVM system is so comex, that it will play favorites with devices. I am going to say, that is silly. That would be asking for issues that would arise with every device update and app that supports VVM access. The system is simple. It works like your APN. If the settings are correct, it works! If those settings are not correct, it doesn't work.

The "settings" you mention are apparently provisioned by TMo by device.

See this Re: Android Native Visual Voicemail Trouble​ (and the one it replies to) for logs.

TMo simply stopped provisioning certain devices properly.

My response was also for tidbits, not you.

J. Davis on Android

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 9:38 AM, magenta6790580<no-reply@t-mobile.com> wrote:

#yiv9764737489 * #yiv9764737489 a #yiv9764737489 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv9764737489 #yiv9764737489 h1, #yiv9764737489 h2, #yiv9764737489 h3, #yiv9764737489 h4, #yiv9764737489 h5, #yiv9764737489 h6, #yiv9764737489 p, #yiv9764737489 hr {}#yiv9764737489 .yiv9764737489button td {}

|

T-Mobile Support

|

|

reply from magenta6790580 in Android products - View the full discussion

Hey bud, I'm on your side.  I think you're responding to the wrong person.  My response was to tidbits not you FYI.  Tip, the thread usually says to whom you're responding to after the date and time  (in response to.....)

|

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

magenta9400132 wrote:

Why are you even in this thread? You aren't having a problem, and you don't even understand the issue the rest of us are talking about. You keep referring to the wrong thing.

I understand the issue. Your VVM from the stock app isn't working.  It has little tto do with T-Mobile wanting to charge for VVM service.  As I pointed out IF they intended to and sent text messages to people for it then it would be headline news when those texts went out because a lot of them use T-Mobile service. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

magenta6790580 wrote:

VVM was never free or if you want to spit hairs, included in the service we pay for? I've always understood the transcribing to be extra but not regular VVM. What most here are talking about is not transcribing but native VVM in the stock android dialer. It's broke or has been removed from certain devices.

I think most people here have no idea why it's not working and are looking for answers. It also seems like you think people are making this up. I'm referring to the standard VVM that has worked fine for years on certain devices with or without transcribing now doesn't. I don't care if transcribing works or not and I'm fine if T-Mobile wants to charge extra for it, just want to know why regular VVM is now broke.

I am saying that text for a charge is advertisement for VVM to text.  As you stated earlier you got a text saying something about a charge, and I said it was for VVM to text as I have gotten that multiple times on multiple times.  Google h as updated their dialer app at least 14 times(beta included) in the past 2 months.  Google simply could have broken it and has nothing to do with T-Mobile.  It's always easier to blame T-Mobile because Google can do no wrong(evil) seems to be the norm.

It's easier to blame t-mobile in this case because:

a) I have two identical devices. It works on one and not the other.

b) someone else in this thread had it working, then it stopped, then they switched carriers and it worked again.

c) other people in other forums on the internet had the same problem with different carriers. They called the carrier, the carrier fixed a setup issue, and then it worked.

Again - why are you in this thread? You don't have an issue - congrats. A lot of us do and are still waiting for an explanation.