Question

TMobile is silent about LG IMS keeps stopping

Badge

The real question is why is TMobile silent on this problem. They are treating their customers like dirt. Time for a change to another company. There are better deals out there for sure. 

18 replies

Userlevel 2

I tried getting through to T-Mobile telephone support but the recording says “We are experiencing high call volumes!”

Some writers on some forums claim they got through to T-Mobile and were told “We are aware of the problem and are working on it.”  Of course, what we want to hear is “We are committed to a fix.”

My wife’s phone and my phone both started getting the notorious “LG IMS Has Stopped” popup every three seconds, yesterday (Sunday) afternoon.  I spent about 6 hours doing everything recommended on every YouTube video and forum post:  update apps, update OS, clear cache, force stop, reboot, etc. etc.  Unfortunately, the YouTube folks just want credit for views and clicks, and don’t care if the fix does not work.  Naturally, we all watch every video to the end!

I noticed that the LG IMS system app is written so it attempts to restart immediately as soon as anyone tries to shut it off.  It also reloads the cache immediately after anyone tries to shut it off.  This is logical behavior, because this app is needed for the phone to communicate.  The phone still continues to make and receive calls and messages (in between those maddening popups every three seconds) so evidently whatever T-Mobile did to their network on Sunday is making every LG phone “stutter” or “hiccup” every 3 seconds, which triggers the popup...but then the app almost immediately resets, still allowing calls and messages to go through!

We are headed over to the local T-Mobile retail outlet this afternoon to see if they have heard anything new on this widespread problem, because we cannot get an answer from T-Mobile any other way.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

i have yet to run into this..out of curiosity did yall start with TMO and got the phone from them or did you move over from Sprint with it?

Userlevel 2

In reply to the person who asked whether our phones were brought in from some other carrier:

Both of our T-Mobile phones were purchased brand new in T-Mobile retail stores, recommended by T-Mobile employees, and set up and activated by T-Mobile employees.  Neither phone had any problem of any kind until they both started the dreaded “LG IMS Keeps Stopping” popup message last Sunday.

So no, this is not a problem with some wrongly-configured phone from somebody else’s network.   These phones were T-Mobile all the way, functioning perfectly up until the every-3-second popups hit… like it did for tens of thousands (or maybe hundreds of thousands) of customers.

Forums all over the web are full of desperate posters trying to fix this problem   YouTube now has many videos (falsely) claiming to fix the problem.  Those videos are harvesting the lucrative views and clicks of thousands of people.  Obviously this is a much more widespread problem than the few news items that call it a “limited problem.”

T-Mobile evidently changed something last Sunday that was not compatible with vast numbers of existing LG phones.  They either need to reverse what they did (although they might possibly not know exactly what they did), or they need to provide generous discounts on non-LG phones so their customers can get back to work.  The economic value of bricking so many phones runs into the millions of dollars.  Then you have tens of thousands of customer-hours trying out false fixes, and countless thousands of days of lost productivity due to non-functional phones.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

if this were the case then the LG line wouldnt be the only one running into issues..its gotta be something changed up on the LG side..which oddly enough my LG V60 came over with me from Sprint..im running a R115 sim card.. (or maybe its the R15) with zero issues popping up for me like yall so far. all the phones on TMOs network are reading the same bands..so if it was a network change up it would be across the board which it is not..others posted that LG is very much aware of the issue and are working on it..

Userlevel 3

if this were the case then the LG line wouldnt be the only one running into issues..its gotta be something changed up on the LG side..which oddly enough my LG V60 came over with me from Sprint..im running a R115 sim card.. (or maybe its the R15) with zero issues popping up for me like yall so far. all the phones on TMOs network are reading the same bands..so if it was a network change up it would be across the board which it is not..others posted that LG is very much aware of the issue and are working on it..

WRONG! Take out the T-mobile sim card and phone functions perfectly to internet via wifi and all other apps. settings etc. LG made no upgrade changes, T-mobile did, rendering 10s of thousands of LG phones crippled. Criminal behavior.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

no kidding...wonder why? because its no longer reading ANY networks..take your tin foil hat theories elsewhere..as i pointed out on the other thread its been pointed out numerous times now that LG is quite aware of the issue and they were working on it..TMO doesnt control how the phone reads the network..the OEM does.

Userlevel 3

WRONG! Take out the T-mobile sim card and phone functions perfectly to internet via wifi and all other apps. settings etc. LG made no upgrade changes, T-mobile did, rendering 10s of thousands of LG phones crippled. Criminal behavior.

It is only T-mobile phones with their sims. LG did not roll out an update. T-mobile did. The fact that T-mobile is now trying to up-sell customers to a 5G phone is not theory. It is happening as we speak.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

TMO did? so what update was it? mind sharing that tid bit of info?

instead of coming up with your own theories you should probably contact LG themselves and ask..

so what you are saying is theyre trying to push all the LG non 5G owners to upgrade to a 5G phone...because the only phones on their network that are not 5G are LG and not for example Samsung or Apple...? keep in mind that many with the LG V60 were also running into this..which is a 5G device..so your theory just went right out the window.

Userlevel 2

UPDATE:  LOCAL T-MOBILE RETAIL STORE WAS HELPFUL AND INFORMATIVE

We drove over to the local T-Mobile retail store and here are the answers they gave us:

Q - What is the problem and what caused it?

A - The error message is popping up on most models of LG phones on the T-Mobile network.  Some incompatibility occurred between LG and T-Mobile starting Sunday.  At the moment T-Mobile is saying it is an LG problem.  There are long wait times on both the LG and T-Mobile help lines, due to high call volume.

Q - How widespread is the problem?

A - Customers started trickling in on Sunday and increased throughout the day.  There has been a steady line of customers all day Monday.  They all have the same problem at the same time, and they have all different models of LG phones.

Q - Did the store personnel try any of the recommended fixes and did any of them work on any of the customer phones?

A - Store personnel tried all the recommended fixes on many different customer phones and unfortunately not any of the fixes was able to fix any of the phones.  Some of the attempts were very lengthy and laborious.  Every retail employee present had attempted to fix numerous phones.  The retail employees seemed to have very good technical knowledge and they were very open and courteous in answering questions.

Q - What are the customers doing after discovering they have non-usable phones?

A - Some of them decided to wait to see if LG or T-Mobile comes up with a fix.  Others decided to purchase different phones on the spot.  For this reason, sales of phones are much higher than usual.  The most popular models are expected to be sold out by the end of the day and the store is trying to get more units shipped in as fast as possible.

CONCLUSION:  As we stood there at about 3 PM, more and more customers were coming in with the same problem, interested in replacing their LG phones.  We decided to go ahead and purchase two new Samsung phones, before the most popular models were sold out.  If either LG or T-Mobile ever comes up with a fix, we will have two “spare” phones.

Userlevel 3

TMO did? so what update was it? mind sharing that tid bit of info?

instead of coming up with your own theories you should probably contact LG themselves and ask..

so what you are saying is theyre trying to push all the LG non 5G owners to upgrade to a 5G phone...because the only phones on their network that are not 5G are LG and not for example Samsung or Apple...? keep in mind that many with the LG V60 were also running into this..which is a 5G device..so your theory just went right out the window.

Hardly any V60s reported. You or a relative must work for T-mobile. Only 2 possible sources for an ‘update’ on yesterday morning : 1) LG (which is not rolling out updates anymore and requires users to install such updates anyway) or 2) T-mobile. I Everyone who takes the T-mobile SIM card out, can run all other apps on their phones and popup stops. Explain that. Why IS just LG MESSED UP? Maybe a test push to new 5G phones? LG  no longer making cell phones so perhaps makesa good target? The problem is not the LG phones. We did not suddenly have a quarter million LG phones mysteriously die on Sunday morning then have T-mobile treat it like Hunter Biden’s laptop as if it doesn’t exist or isn’t happening, without deserving an investigation.

Userlevel 3

"LG IMS has stopped working" popup

AFTER 2 DAYS TRYING TO FIX, i SUCCEEDED WITH THE ‘PARTIAL FIX’ DOING THE FOLLOWING:

NOTES:

• i have two LG V20 Phones and Fix worked for both when following these steps precisely.
  • This fix is lost if you turn the WIFI back on or if phone is set to auto turn on when rebooting/turning on phone.
  • Fix was not lost once resolved by rebooting phone.
  • Fix does not seem to hinder phone operations other than WIFI must remain OFF. You can send & receive calls/texts with no popups.
  • If you need WIFI  for watching video, doing backups, etc., turn back on, but realize nuisance popup will resume and you will need to redo these below steps until T-mobile fixes the problem they caused.
  • Call your State Attorney General and insist on an investigation.

FIX

1. DO NOT FACTORY RESET YOUR PHONE
  2. Turn off WIFI
  3. REBOOT PHONE (ensure WIFI didn’t restart or make it stay off in phone settings
  4. Go to settings →
  5. Apps/notifications ->
  6. App info ->
  7. Three dots ->
  8. Show System ->
  9. com-lge-ims-rcsprovider ->
  10. Storage
  11. CLEAR CACHE
  12. FORCE STOP  (After clearing CACHE)
  13. CLEAR DATA (This will not delete your texts)
  14. FORCE STOP  (After clearing DATA)
  15. Leave Settings. Popups should stop.
  16. Reboot. Popups should remain gone unless you turn WIFI back on.

T-mobile still has not addressed this massive problem publicly as of Mon May 23 10:15pm ET.. Shameful and possibly criminal.

Reasoning suggest that TMobile made a network change that caused this.  However, the LG IMS library may have something not complient with some “standard” which caused it to fail.  They probably insisted that their coding should work if the phone supported a standard library or somethig like that.  Therefore LG is working to make an update to their library.  It could just as easily gone the other way where TMobile backed out their update and the phones would start working again.  They could then have tested the LG phones prior to their updates.

I had a curious problem a while back were I do not receive MultiMedia SMS from a Short Code system.  TMobile insisted that it is an LG issue.  I was NOT happy with them as I felt they did not attempt to support me but just said LG is getting out of the business and the phone we sold you will not be supported.  

I sort of understand both sides since other phones with TMobile are not having issues.  But HONESTLY - TMobile could be doing more to support their customers that purchased these phones directly from the TMobile stores.  They could / should also offer some sort of token to all of us loyal customers.  I’ve been with TMobile for many years and generally recommend them.  But on 2 occasions now they have “tested” me.  This one could be the one that drives me away.

Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > 3 dots > Restore Default Settings.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

According to TMO-Report, T-Mobile did cause the situation, and a permanent fix has been provided, by rebooting the device.

https://tmo.report/2022/05/lg-devices-on-t-mobile-made-unusable-due-to-lg-ims-crashing-bug

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Reasoning suggest that TMobile made a network change that caused this.  However, the LG IMS library may have something not complient with some “standard” which caused it to fail.  They probably insisted that their coding should work if the phone supported a standard library or somethig like that.  Therefore LG is working to make an update to their library.  It could just as easily gone the other way where TMobile backed out their update and the phones would start working again.  They could then have tested the LG phones prior to their updates.

I had a curious problem a while back were I do not receive MultiMedia SMS from a Short Code system.  TMobile insisted that it is an LG issue.  I was NOT happy with them as I felt they did not attempt to support me but just said LG is getting out of the business and the phone we sold you will not be supported.  

I sort of understand both sides since other phones with TMobile are not having issues.  But HONESTLY - TMobile could be doing more to support their customers that purchased these phones directly from the TMobile stores.  They could / should also offer some sort of token to all of us loyal customers.  I’ve been with TMobile for many years and generally recommend them.  But on 2 occasions now they have “tested” me.  This one could be the one that drives me away.

underlined was exactly it. TMO kicked out a side update and there was an underlying issue on the LG side that no one knew about. which is why it only affected LG devices. the update push went out to ALL devices across the board..it was a update to help devices connect better to the network. older LG devices and for whatever reason a few of the newer ones had something going on with the network framework which brought in the problem..it mainly affected the older LG devices

so…

TMO=bad for their side test server not picking this up

LG=bad for having an underlying issue that wasnt known until it got this update.

Userlevel 3

According to TMO-Report, T-Mobile did cause the situation, and a permanent fix has been provided, by rebooting the device.

https://tmo.report/2022/05/lg-devices-on-t-mobile-made-unusable-due-to-lg-ims-crashing-bug

FAKE NEWS! The problem still existed a full day AFTER this updated article from two days ago. If you rebooted {restarted, not reset} your phone Monday evening  the problem remained and still may remain today (Tuesday).

THE BEST SOLUTION (and easiest, which was posted by a tech on Monday night) and which allows WIFI to be turned on (without the debilitating popup returning) is the following:

• Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > 3 dots > Restore Default Settings.

The real question is why is TMobile silent on this problem. They are treating their customers like dirt. Time for a change to another company. There are better deals out there for sure. 

Yes. That is the real question.

Found the fix on line (NO HELP FROM TMOBILE!) I called my “ T-Mobile team EXPERT representative” to get resolution, of course you’re speaking with someone in Asia who just gives lip service saying I was number one priority when they fix it. Asked to speak with an American (to hopefully get a more clear/honest/informed answer, but never received a call back, go figure). So went to a T-Mobile store and was told LG stopped pushing updates to their phones and I would just have to upgrade to a new phone (We have 3 of them that we bought through Tmobile). Their spring-loaded EZ answer since it’s not their money- just buy new phones.... Seems like T-Mobile should own some of this, been a customer for almost 20 years. T-MOBILE AMERICA, ARE YOU LISTENING?