Question

Tmobile update caused Galaxy S9 Home screen to go blank

• 23 November 2020
  • 61 replies

Show first post

61 replies

My Samsung backup only had one backup and it was blank. 😡

Well, at least I get to clean up my home screens. 

So sick of being forced into "updates" that "fix" issues. BS. They cause issues! Every widget & home screens are now gone.. 

I am working and trying to use Google maps & for some reason. It's now working, then I have people contacting me on offer up and I'm not getting their messages but I am getting the email notifications.. It's not just that our home screens went blank , it screwed  with our app settings as well..

Really tmobile.. You think we have nothing better to do than unscrew your crappy Mandatory "update"?? 😡😡😡😡

Yes same here. This is ridiculous.Tmobile please fix this. Unreal:(

SAME. Updated this morning on my S9, all blank screens aside from the favorites on the bottom. Spent an hour redoing everything. Absolutely UNBELIEVABLE. We have been with TM as business customers for years and in the past 4-ish months it has been AWFUL. We constantly are not getting texts, then they come in a clump. Phone calls go directly to VM. And don't even get me started on the "wifi call preference settings have been updated" or whatever it is alert that suddenly had my phone LOSING IT'S MIND a few weeks ago. Had to figure out how to just silence the alerts. Never mind the screwed up billing that took me 3 months, 5 phone calls and 3+ hours to correct. Again--BUSINESS CUSTOMERS. This really takes the cake. Who rolls out an "update" with such a MASSIVE flaw? I sat on hold this morning for 20 mins and finally gave up. Just redid my home screens and I'll just hope they hold. Tmobile, get your house in order son.

Same. Just updated and now my S9 completely hosed. A lot of work goes into home screen organization. 

Next time, T-mobile, test your f*ing update before rolling out. 

I AM SO LIVID I COULD SMACK THE SHIT OUT OF SOME ONE.  Thousands of dollars for these garbage ass phones, a team of “experts” who couldn’t find a way to get themselves out of a paper bag!!!  I have been on the phone now for over 2 hours, with T-Mobile, Samsung, constantly getting disconnected after talking over and over again to butt fucking morons who have no clue what they are doing, missed work now and pay cause of this fucking ridiculous ass issue that magically thousands of others are having after shitty faulty updates and now all my shit is gone.  Nothing works, nothing provided in the forums work as a fix, I’m tech savvy enough and nothing.  This is what I am paying all this money for!?  A shitty phone, shoddy service and a bunch of degenerates who cant fix their own damn software!  I am loyal to Samsung, hate the iPhone but this is beyond ridiculous, every damn update the phone system is getting worse and worse.  FIX YOUR SHIT OR BETTER YET HIRE PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT TECH TO DO SHIT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.

Last night, 11/22/20 my S9 downloaded the automatic update and when it came back up, the home screen is totally blank. All my organizational folders are all gone along with all the website shortcuts I had. I checked and the apps are not hidden and it allows me to add them back but I don't remember everything that was there off the top of my head plus I would REALLY rather not start all over if I don't have to. I posted on the S9 Reddit sub and a couple of other users had the same issue so it isn't just me. I tried to restore just the home screen apps from my backup but that changed nothing except my wallpaper. I have never had issues after an update before so I am clueless and I know you can't rollback the update like you can on a PC. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this? Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

We are all having the issue and no one at T-Mobile or Samsung knows jack shit.  Nothing is getting fixed and this is absolute BS.  I have tried every working fix possible and nothing.  Gonna have to start from scratch now and hope it doesn’t happen again.  Backups don’t restore anything either.  Not sure what to tell anyone.

I am so sick and tired of Tmobile updates.  My settings keep getting reset back and they force app permissions to share data and I cannot control it!  The last update forced a full screen schedule and I could not even use my phone until I updated it.  Thats like bricking a phone that I own and paid for!

And besides security updates I was fine with my phone as I first bought it.  I don't need constant improvements.  

Guess who’s never upgrading again.  

Gah! Same here. I JUST had this happen to me this morning. This really IS bullshit. T-mobile better fix this ASAP.

This sucks. Where did all my apps go? All shortxuts to apps were deleted after this recent update.  I have an S9 Edge

Same exact issue here. What a stupid error on T-Mobile’s part.

I was able to get my home screen back via Settings > Accounts and Backup > Backup and Restore > Restore Data. I then selected only the Home Screen, which also required selecting Apps, so I deselected all but a random Samsung app that I never use. That allowed me to essentially restore only the home screen back to what it was in October, and I only changed a couple things since then, so not bad. This obviously only works if you have a data backup.

Again, a stupid failure on someone’s part in this update. This should not have been an issue.

Same issue on 9+, Tmoblie quality team needs to be taught how to do a device check before rolling out new configurations to devices.

The original post was FIVE days ago. And T-Mobile being the wonderful, responsive, customer friendly, customer focused company that it is continues to roll out the update with no fixes. I'm so happy that my cell phone provider listens to customer complaints and provide immediate fixes. And they're just not concerned about the bottom line. Oh wait, it's T-Mobile.

The fix by Magenta worked and I was able to restore my home screen. 

Same deal, Galaxy S9+. All my screens were blank this morning and I was so pissed. Last update, all my shortcuts were still there, but all the widgets were missing, no big deal really, but at the same time annoying as all get out! Now, this time? Everything gone??!! WTF.... Back in the old days, I would take screenshots of my pages so that I could remember what shortcuts and widgets I had and where. I'm very particular about that and like how I have everything set up and can find stuff very quickly and the screens didn't use to update when you switched phones.... Nowadays, with smart switch and backups, don't really have to do that anymore... UNTIL NOW.... SMH. Welp, guess I have to go back through Google Photos and see if those screenshots are still there somewhere, since my pages have not changed much, otherwise, it's pretty much gonna be from memory.... Ugh...

S9+ here. Tmobile is still rolling and forcing this update. Mine updated over night. Waking up this morning with a SUPRISE! Everything on my homepage GONE. It has been a week of complaints and they still rolling out a broken update... why?

Had same thing happen to my S9 over the weekend after latest November update. Spent over an hour fixing it. Don’t expect T-mobile or Samsung to help you soon. Follow these steps:

1. Go to Apps → One UI Home and clear Data and Cache in storage
  2. Go to Accounts and Backup and restore only Home screen and Apps     

This worked for me. Thank you Gosha! 

#tmobile please halt the rollout of this Android update immediately and fix this issue. As you see, several users of Samsung S9 are losing their home screen icons after Oct 27 kernel update

This worked for me.  Hopefully you guys have auto backup enabled.

Go to Settings, then Accounts and Back up and finally back and restore.

Select Restore Data

It’ll show all the options to restore including Home Screen settings.  I’d uncheck everything except Home Screen settings and Apps. FYI it needs App, since the One UI is an app. 

Good Luck

Holly Actual F8cking ******

All my very very important memos written on my home screen sticky-notes are gone. You have no idea how important those memos are. HOLLFENOFUIBWOBNEWOUGBWEUOBFOIUEWG

Forcing the fcking update, and then mess it up.

It’s either T-mobile’s or Samsung’s fault, and I will definitely find out, and try my hardest to influence against them for the rest of my fcking life. I will spend money to advertise to see their failure. 

Had same thing happen to my S9 over the weekend after latest November update. Spent over an hour fixing it. Don’t expect T-mobile or Samsung to help you soon. Follow these steps:

1. Go to Apps → One UI Home and clear Data and Cache in storage
  2. Go to Accounts and Backup and restore only Home screen and Apps     

I tried this. It didn't work.

Last night, 11/22/20 my S9 downloaded the automatic update and when it came back up, the home screen is totally blank. All my organizational folders are all gone along with all the website shortcuts I had. I checked and the apps are not hidden and it allows me to add them back but I don't remember everything that was there off the top of my head plus I would REALLY rather not start all over if I don't have to. I posted on the S9 Reddit sub and a couple of other users had the same issue so it isn't just me. I tried to restore just the home screen apps from my backup but that changed nothing except my wallpaper. I have never had issues after an update before so I am clueless and I know you can't rollback the update like you can on a PC. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this? Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

I'm having this exact same problem. Everything I try will not get my home screen apps back. I'd sure like to get my home screen apps back with out restoring them one ar a time. Is Samsung or T-Mobile ever going to come out with a fix for this?

Exact same issues with our S9.  Any fix for this update?

Same issue - Note 9. Updated this morning. Also noticed today that my Spotify is now skipping on Android Auto when using Google Maps at the same time. Note sure if this is related, but thought I'd throw it out there considering others were having issues with their Apps. 

Same for me. Months of notes lost, along with hours of customization of the screen.

How much is our time worth to T-Mobile? What about for what we can't replace?