Question

Tmobile update caused Galaxy S9 Home screen to go blank

• 23 November 2020
  • 61 replies

Show first post

61 replies

After restoring my home screen icons yesterday from the Samsung Cloud backup, I lost all my home screen icons again this morning on my Galaxy S9 after taking a photo. Really really hate this latest Android update. Samsung and T-Mobile please fix!!!

Got the Tmobile update on Nov29 early morning. Same issue, home screen blank, all icons removed. 

I’m disgusted that T-mobile still refused to back out of this update even after 1 week when they pushed this update. Absolutely beyond angry that Tmobile has this level of access to your phone to do this. I have never experienced this level of incompetency as a company as a whole. Their software team that clearly didn’t test the update correctly, the phone operators that have no clue what the fix is, and the executive team that seems to show no interest of pulling the update back. 

I demand some compensation and entire story behind this obvious mistake.

Got the Tmobile update on Nov29 early morning. Same issue, home screen blank, all icons removed. 

I’m disgusted that T-mobile still refused to back out of this update even after 1 week when they pushed this update. Absolutely beyond angry that Tmobile has this level of access to your phone to do this. I have never experienced this level of incompetency as a company as a whole. Their software team that clearly didn’t test the update correctly, the phone operators that have no clue what the fix is, and the executive team that seems to show no interest of pulling the update back. 

I demand some compensation and entire story behind this obvious mistake.

I’m so disgusted two days ago T-Mobile told me they would have an answer on how to fix it within a day. Didn’t hear anything yesterday. Contacted them again today kept got no answers. Now they say contact Samsung as they have no control over it. I also asked how to have it stop from forcing on my husband and my son‘s phones. It says it’s going to be forced ..tomorrow morning they are going to be in the same boat as my phone. Disgusted. 

I think you have the option to schedule the update. You can try to push the update further out in case Tmobile comes out with a new update. But I have little faith that will happen.

I think you have the option to schedule the update. You can try to push the update further out in case Tmobile comes out with a new update. But I have little faith that will happen.

They have already delayed it a few times and now it says it will be forced. Not right. 

Samsung is useless as well….ugh….omg. I want a solution to fix my phone! 

This worked for me.  Hopefully you guys have auto backup enabled.

Go to Settings, then Accounts and Back up and finally back and restore.

Select Restore Data

It’ll show all the options to restore including Home Screen settings.  I’d uncheck everything except Home Screen settings and Apps. FYI it needs App, since the One UI is an app. 

Good Luck

I just tried this but it didn’t work though I left everything checked. And everything was dated for yesterday I don’t see a way to find an earlier back up :( 

Last night, 11/22/20 my S9 downloaded the automatic update and when it came back up, the home screen is totally blank. All my organizational folders are all gone along with all the website shortcuts I had. I checked and the apps are not hidden and it allows me to add them back but I don't remember everything that was there off the top of my head plus I would REALLY rather not start all over if I don't have to. I posted on the S9 Reddit sub and a couple of other users had the same issue so it isn't just me. I tried to restore just the home screen apps from my backup but that changed nothing except my wallpaper. I have never had issues after an update before so I am clueless and I know you can't rollback the update like you can on a PC. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this? Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

I just woke up to this exact situation. I didn't have many apps on my homescreen, but I did have a ton of folders with web pages saved in them. And they're all gone now. I'm not very tech savvy, so I do not know if there's a way to restore. 

My Galaxy S20+ just updated with this, and all of my home screens were wiped. So as of December 16, T-Mobile & Samsung have not fixed this issue.

It has been 20 days.  My wife’s s9 is still having problems after the updae.  Home screen changes etc.  Sill no fix.  I think it is a way to get you to buy a new phone. 

Hello all…..happened to run across this topic on this particular community forum as well as the Samsung customer forum. Has anybody heard from T-Mobile directly with any helpful explanation and resolution? From my experience, the following has happened:

In early November 2020, T-Mobile sent an update to my phone (Samsung S9)….believe the software update was G960USQU8FTJ3 (looked on T-Mobile support page with software updates history). After this update, the following happened to my phone:

1. All desktop icons and folders disappeared from my phone (had to recreate/redo my phone desktop.
  2. Started noticing an occasional notification, “Carrier Hub MCM client requests are processing messages” when I reboot the phone.
  3. Battery usage has increased substantially since the update….phone is running considerably warmer at times even if I clear the apps I typically use on a routine basis.
  4. From reading the forums, an app was installed on my phone at some point called “Carrier Hub”

Another software update was sent to my phone around December 23--- G960USQS8FTK5   I was hoping this update would correct some of the above issues but no luck.

I’m probably going to try my luck and call into T-Mobile support but just wanted to see if anybody in this forum has had any feedback from T-Mobile. If so, please share. If I find out anything, I will post my findings.  --   Thanks!