Question

Tmobile update caused Galaxy S9 Home screen to go blank

• 23 November 2020
  • 61 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Last night, 11/22/20 my S9 downloaded the automatic update and when it came back up, the home screen is totally blank. All my organizational folders are all gone along with all the website shortcuts I had. I checked and the apps are not hidden and it allows me to add them back but I don't remember everything that was there off the top of my head plus I would REALLY rather not start all over if I don't have to. I posted on the S9 Reddit sub and a couple of other users had the same issue so it isn't just me. I tried to restore just the home screen apps from my backup but that changed nothing except my wallpaper. I have never had issues after an update before so I am clueless and I know you can't rollback the update like you can on a PC. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this? Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

61 replies

Userlevel 1

I'm in the same boat with ya, so frustrated that I'm going to spend all morning resetting everything. 

Userlevel 1

Same problem here with Note 9.

Userlevel 1

Galaxy S9 and same issue.  will probably have to reset all my icons and widgets.  T-Mobile should be able to get this fixed so no one else is effected by this issue.

Userlevel 1

I called to see what the deal was... We as told they could have a tech from Samsung call me. It was fine before the T-Mobile update! 

Userlevel 1

Same issue here on my Galaxy S9. What the fuck is TMO thinking? Didn’t they test this shitty update before rolling this out. Disgusting fucking idiots.

Userlevel 1

I have a S9+ and my screen went blank also.  This is very frustrating.  Is there a way to bring it back?

Same problem as stated in OP after applying the update this morning on a Galaxy S9.  Interestingly, my bottom shortcuts (favorites tray) remained intact, but none of the rest of my home screen shortcuts are there (on both of two pages).

Same issue as everyone else.... This is extremely disappointing and I expect T-Mobile to come out with a patch to fix this for us. Since Sprint and T-Mobile got together T-Mobiles service and coverage has suffered greatly.

I am experiencing the same issue on my Galaxy S9+.  The problem occurred right after the update this morning as well.  This issue should have not been rolled out to customer. 

Had same thing happen to my S9 over the weekend after latest November update. Spent over an hour fixing it. Don’t expect T-mobile or Samsung to help you soon. Follow these steps:

1. Go to Apps → One UI Home and clear Data and Cache in storage
  2. Go to Accounts and Backup and restore only Home screen and Apps     
Userlevel 1
Badge

Yes, same. Didn’t see this thread before, so I started a new one for Note 9. I updated the phone today, and same thing.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Had same thing happen to my S9 over the weekend after latest November update. Spent over an hour fixing it. Don’t expect T-mobile or Samsung to help you soon. Follow these steps:

I wish I could say this worked for me, but it only reset to the default home screen.  

Keep in mind, you have to regularly back up and sync to Samsung cloud for this to work. I think that’s where my issue lies.. I always had problems syncing my phone to Samsung’s Cloud service.

Yes, you need a working backup from Samsung cloud for this to work. Only other solution I see is to manually re-add all home screen icons. Really bad update that should have been thoroughly tested before release.  

These steps did not put my apps and folders back on my Home Screen. 😭

Same thing happened on my Samsung Galaxy S9+ [T-Mobile update notice, I accept, after reboot the Home Screen is BLANK except for the second-to-last app I installed], except 1 day later, which means they are still happily rolling out this SHITTY update that destroys your home screen. What the fuck, T-Mobile!!! Seriously, what the fuck.

I didn't need this to happen to my fucking phone right now!

Worst of all maybe: POS Bixby is back and I cannot remember how I disabled it before! What crappy bloatware.

I've never hated T-Mobile before, never had cause to, but wiping our home screens clean (& continuing a rollout of a known bad update) is total hateful incompetent bullshit.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Worst of all maybe: POS Bixby is back and I cannot remember how I disabled it before! What crappy bloatware.

I've never hated T-Mobile before, never had cause to, but wiping our home screens clean (& continuing a rollout of a known bad update) is total hateful incompetent bullshit.

You could use ADB to disable or remove Bixby.  XDA-Developers.com has some great tutorials on how to do that.  

Thank you Gosha, that process worked for me.

Wish I had seen this thread before I updated my S9 this morning :rage:   

I'm also experiencing the same issue... very frustrating 

Same experience. Extremely frustrating and disappointing.

Same thing happened to me after just updating this morning.  Pretty shocking how this wasn’t caught during testing.

Same on my S9 last night. Didn't even see it doing an update. Why does it seem like it's only an issue with the 9s?

Same here, woke up this morning to the blank homescreen. Who has time to set it up from scratch ?

TMobile, get our homescreens back ‼

I had this same thing happen with the most recent update last month(?), and began to rebuild my Home Screen/Additional Screens with all my folders and widgets, etc. itit to have everything show back up on its own (destroying the new changes I had made 😡🤬), but I don't know if that came from Backup & Sync or not - going to try that manually now.

As for Bixby, I suggest the bxActions app to kill the Bixby button (free version) or remap it (pro/paid version).