Solved

Transfer ALL messages to PC then delete from phone

• 30 December 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge

I repeatedly either see “Google Drive” or paid software as a “solution”. What i want to do is to simply(?) copy all messages/conversations along with related content such as pictures to my PC, then completely wipe them off of my phone. No, i am not a terrorist or anything remotely similar, and yes, perhaps i am a little paranoid and OCD as i like a clean phone, inside and out. When i had an Apple this was relatively easy to accomplish through paid software, but part of my reason for moving to an Android platform was to get rid of having to employ third party paid apps to accomplish what should be relatively simple.

I am easily able to copy pictures from both the DCIM and Pictures sub-directories from the phone via USB; is there means to also just copy all my messages to the PC and then delete them off of the phone?

Thank-you all for your expertise, Merry Christmas & Happy New Year and may Covid-19 go back to from where it came!

icon

Best answer by syaoran 3 January 2021, 14:16

MMS message back ups have always been fairly unreliable on Android without root.  However, saving the media content to your devices storage should put them in a folder called, Pictures, which is easy enough to back up by copying it off of the device.  SMS Backup will back up your messages for free though, to online storage or local (on your device).  You can then copy the stored saved back up to your PC.  

This is the app I mentioned and have used for years.  Ads can be disabled in the app settings at no cost.  SMS Backup & Restore - Apps on Google Play

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

I would use T-mobiles software called Digits it allows you to have all your messages and calls and such come to your computer or other devices I dont know if thats good enough for what you need but its free and worth a try

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

MMS message back ups have always been fairly unreliable on Android without root.  However, saving the media content to your devices storage should put them in a folder called, Pictures, which is easy enough to back up by copying it off of the device.  SMS Backup will back up your messages for free though, to online storage or local (on your device).  You can then copy the stored saved back up to your PC.  

This is the app I mentioned and have used for years.  Ads can be disabled in the app settings at no cost.  SMS Backup & Restore - Apps on Google Play

Badge

Thank you folks!

Though Apple made me trash them with fiascos such as spiking their software to cause poor performance when they detected you had the same device for several years and leading the lobbyists in California against diy repairs, they did have several things right - one of which allowed a 3rd party developer to create software that exported all SMS/MMS to your choice of html, pdf or text files that could easily be read on your computer (including a PC!). Once verified i could delete all of that from my phone, keeping memory nice and clean.

I greatly appreciate the suggestions and will try!